You are here

phRase cancellation in Forums?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

phRase cancellation in Forums?

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Unless it's in a teeny tiny font, I can't seem to find how to delete a post I may have second thoughts about in any Forum.
Is it possible?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Re: phRase cancellation in Forums?

Postby Kwackman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:09 pm

I don't think you can. But you can edit your post within a certain time, so
removing your original text and writing something like "Please delete", a friendly passing mod will do it.
At least that worked for me.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:53 pm

It may also be worth hitting the 'Report this Post' button to let the mods know too.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Good ideas, thanks
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Offhand, the only time I can think of when mods are unlikely to delete a user's post on request is when there have already been answers to it from other users.

In this situation it's safer to leave the thread 'as is'.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:24 pm

If you click EDIT on a post (within the 45 minutes lockout period), you may see an option at the top of the post with a tick box that says:

Delete post:
Once deleted the post cannot be recovered

If it's there, then that's how you delete a post... Tick the box and click on Submit... however, I have a feeling that option is actually only available to those with moderator and system admin privileges.

In which case, contact one of the mods directly or click on the REPORT button and ask for the post to be deleted.

As Martin says, we are usually quite happy to do that and the only exception is if an important reply has been added by someone else such that the thread as a whole would be damaged if the post was deleted -- although that's rarely a problem in practice.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:40 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:however, I have a feeling that option is actually only available to those with moderator and system admin privileges.

Definitely not available to the hoi polloi. Not being able to delete posts is a restriction I can live with, not a major issue, but it's unusual among fora not to have the ability and in those that have I've not noticed the world collapsing in bitter shards of recrimination. Is there any chance the privilege might be advanced to the rest of us - thus lightening mods' workloads just a little?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:13 am

I'll raise it with the team.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:41 am

We've always been against it for the reasons outlined in the thread, ie. it'll usually be an unhappy poster who deletes his own work and if they do so without checking if they've been quoted by others in that topic, that would leave a real mess behind. Imagine a topic where someone is the OP and then they delete all their posts in that topic after some great responses...

Also, once deleted, posts cannot be retrieved by us so if a poster acts rashly then sleeps on their decision and wishes to reverse it, it's too late.

The current system, where members can alert Mods and request one or more posts be deleted, has the benefit of the Mod team knowing what is going on. Allowing free deletion of their posts by any member would remove this and we wouldn't be able to respond to "what happened about that great post from XYZ?" with any definitive answer.

regards,
Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,216 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:09 am

That reasoning doesn't stand up to a bit of logic, if deletion is an option just during the edit period.

There's nothing to currently stop someone posting something, someone quoting it and the OP then modifying their post completely within the edit period.

So being able to delete a post during that edit period, (normally because of duplicate posts or realising that you've replied to the wrong thread or missed a page of replies), is really almost no different from the quoting point of view, from being able to edit the post in the first place.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:21 am

Only admins and mods can delete a post. Members can edit or completely erase the content of their post within the 45 minute editing period, but that's not the same as out-and-out free deletion.

Self-erasing would present a problem if that post had already been quoted prior to erasure, and that's why Mods would have to get involved.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,216 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:00 pm

In other words -
For fewer regrets - best to post while sober :bouncy:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 pm

But I can still change the post within that 45 minute period, regardless of whether it's been quoted, so it just leaves a dot on the page or says 'please delete' or write something totally contrary to what I first posted, so it's really no different from being able to delete the post as long, like the editing period, it's time limited. :headbang:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Exactly so. After all, under the current system there's still the possibility for inconsistency if a mod chooses to delete their post within the 45 minute period but they've already been quoted. What's sauce for the goose ;)

The one time I hit trouble with this was on another forum where I had written something that was too forceful, disliked it on reading it and immediately went back in and changed it to something much calmer. But by then it was too late, I had been quoted and the damage was done. So the problems you foresee can also occur under the present regime. Should people therefore not be allowed to edit posts at all?

As I say it's not a big issue to me but it's just a small courtesy that would be nice to have.

CC

Edited to add PS: as I say not having the facility to delete posts is very rare among on online fora and I've never noticed problems arising thereby.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Wonks wrote:But I can still change the post within that 45 minute period, regardless of whether it's been quoted, so it just leaves a dot on the page or says 'please delete' or write something totally contrary to what I first posted, so it's really no different from being able to delete the post as long, like the editing period, it's time limited. :headbang:

Ha! Before The Great Embellishment a while ago I got every post reply instantly including my own. Once in a while I would find a post missing in a thread but "I" still had it! Once you pushed Submit I had you forever!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Wonks wrote:There's nothing to currently stop someone posting something, someone quoting it and the OP then modifying their post completely within the edit period.

Quite true, and I completely understand where you're coming from. But the advantage from our point of view is that with the current arrangement the actual post remains, even if it is edited within the 45 min lockout to have zero content. We at least have a kind of audit trail to which any other re-quotes are subsequently linked. That wouldn't be the case if the OP was able to physically remove the post 'holding shell' in its entirety.

We have discussed this at some length now, and in practice think it really isn't a big deal. The fact is that it's actually very rare that someone asks us to delete a post. I see maybe half a dozen requests a year, if that. Likewise removal of post duplications. So it's really not demanding of mod time to sort them out on the few occasions they occur, and at least this way we have an intact audit trail of postings.

Moreover, while it seems that it might technically be possible to add a time-limited user post delete button, it would take considerable back-office time and effort that could be better spent on higher website priorities.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Moreover, while it seems that it might technically be possible to add a time-limited user post delete button, it would take considerable back-office time and effort that could be better spent on higher website priorities.

I accept the decision with good grace and am not challenging it but I just felt a little surprised that it would take significant work to implement it had the decision gone that way. This is based on the fact (generously revealed by your good self) that mods have a delete button on their own posts. That suggests that its presence or absence for a particular user group is a configuration issue solely and should be a 5 minute job. But there, I don't know your software, I only know how I used to design software back in the days when I designed and developed software.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Urm ... I don't know how to say this but a post I just made in Self Promotion has got a delete button on it (small, circular with an X on it).

Yours,

Confused of Bradford on Avon

This one hasn't, though.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:58 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I just felt a little surprised that it would take significant work to implement it had the decision gone that way.

I'm only relaying what I've been told -- but that is the stock answer to questions like these, along with a sharp intake of breath! :lol: I've no real idea what would be involved and whether it is just tweaking a configuration file or something more involved and customised.

I note your observation of the circled x button, though. Maybe its my age, but I don't remember that being there before! The mods delete option I mentioned earlier only comes up when editing a post and appears not to be available to mortals.

Perhaps the circled X option has come about by some back office tweakery and experimentation this afternoon that I don't yet know about...

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Often with these kinds of forums, you *can* delete your own post providing you're still within the editing window, *and* no further posts have been made after yours.

Other times, deleting may not be possible, but editing the post to have no contents achieves the same result, without breaking the post chain (of course, SOS's editing window means this is only a short-term solution).
desmond
Jedi Poster

Next