You are here

phRase cancellation in Forums?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: phRase cancellation in Forums?

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I note your observation of the circled x button, though. Maybe its my age, but I don't remember that being there before!

It has been at the top of every post for me since this thread made me take notice of it - I never really took any notice of it before though so I don't know if it is new. I just assumed it was a mods only thing.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Testing Desmond's theory...

[EDIT - but the x is not there for me]
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:12 pm

This is interesting. The X has not been there for any posts I've made (including this one) since in other forum pages, so I've just tried posting again to the Self Promotion forum page where I first observed it. And there it is ...

The earlier one disappeared as you'd expect at the same time as the edit button. I wonder if it's a configuration thing that someone forgot to turn off when they created that particular page. But no, that's too Machiavellian, I'm sure your developers would never do a thing like that ...

CC

Edit: the post has now gone. I tested the X button and it worked.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 am

Weird! This is definitely one for Ian to fathom out! :D

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:50 am

Well if you need a beta tester I'm happy to volunteer :) .

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:03 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:...I just felt a little surprised that it would take significant work to implement it had the decision gone that way. This is based on the fact (generously revealed by your good self) that mods have a delete button on their own posts. That suggests that its presence or absence for a particular user group is a configuration issue solely and should be a 5 minute job.

CC you are right, it is easy to allow full deletion with a change of permissions config, what takes time and would therefore cost us to pay our third-party developer and staff/mod time to beta-test it, would be to build in a time-limited Delete function.

But the current set up works and keeps mods informed, which makes the forum smooth-running for all, and I feel is crucial. If it were left to a member to Delete their own post within 45 minutes or at any time, there is no guarantee they would be diligent in editing all the subsequent quoted posts, should there be any.

As for Self-Promotion forum posts having a user Delete function... I recall I included this to allow users to come back and delete gig posts, event posts etc that had happened and which had no other intrinsic value in being kept for historic reasons.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,505 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:29 pm

Forum Admin wrote:what takes time and would therefore cost us to pay our third-party developer and staff/mod time to beta-test it, would be to build in a time-limited Delete function.

And yet the time-limited Delete function is already working in Self Promotion.

Forum Admin wrote:If it were left to a member to Delete their own post within 45 minutes or at any time, there is no guarantee they would be diligent in editing all the subsequent quoted posts, should there be any.

Well they couldn't edit those posts anyway because they would have been created by others. I can just say, as I have before, that those forums that have a delete function have not thereby plunged into chaos

Forum Admin wrote:As for Self-Promotion forum posts having a user Delete function... I recall I included this to allow users to come back and delete gig posts, event posts etc that had happened and which had no other intrinsic value in being kept for historic reasons.

Unfortunately, as I said above, the Self Promotion Delete function is time limited, so unless the gig was cancelled within 45 minutes of the original post being made you couldn't do anything about it anyway.

I'm not really being bolshy here, as I said earlier I do accept the decision . It's just there are inconsistencies here that maybe you don't realise yourself. Still, not to worry.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby awjoe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:48 am

ManFromGlass wrote:In other words -
For fewer regrets - best to post while sober :bouncy:

Pretty much, yeah. Although I've found people here to be pretty forgiving of those breaking that rule occasionally. :mrgreen:
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous