You are here

new advice device

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

new advice device

Postby awjoe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:40 am

How about an SOS app that linked to threads deemed worthy 'new advice'. You could be on an ipad and the app would come up with new advice threads from SOS forums. You could call it the New Advice Device.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: new advice device

Postby awjoe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:20 pm

It would be a way of drawing attention to really useful threads, ones that have really useful advice (but don't merit a sticky). Typically, I scan the forum thread topics on the right every time I come here, and I click on anything that looks promising. But if a thread had a 'good advice' sticker or flag attached, I would definitely click on it. It would make it easier for me to find the good stuff when I'd been away for a holiday, or for someone to find the good stuff when they came here only occasionally. It could be an app (SOS Highlights), but I suppose it could just as easily be a flag/highlight/icon attached to particular threads on the existing site.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Wasn't that the purpose of the Useful Information Archive?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Surely it should be the Great Original New Advice Device?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Wonks wrote:Surely it should be the Great Original New Advice Device?
:clap:
but not really helping... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby awjoe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:24 am

blinddrew wrote:
Wonks wrote:Surely it should be the Great Original New Advice Device?
:clap:
but not really helping... ;)

But helpful. I really like the sound of the Great Original New Advice Device. It has a certain je ne sais quoi.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby awjoe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:40 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Wasn't that the purpose of the Useful Information Archive?

CC

Maybe I just want more and faster useful information, then. I mean, a thread I started is on Page One of that forum. I did that ages ago. It should be on Page Ten by now. I was hoping for something more current and newsy based on the day-to-day traffic in the forums. With an icon which I could tap on here on the ipad to get updated.

Just an idea. I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. And in the meantime, I'll browse the UIA. :mrgreen:
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm

I think the idea is that we all can suggest useful threads to the mods who will put it in the UIA if they agree. So if we haven't been suggesting them then the archive will always be a bit light on threads.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Some forums have the ability to flag a post as 'insightful' or 'useful' (it's probably an arbitary flag that could be anything), not sure if this one has anything similar behind the scenes that could be easily switched on?
Subsequently a script could pick out the most-flagged comments to provide awjoe's feed?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby awjoe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:11 am

I was thinking that it would be useful, not only to people like myself, but to SOS - it's an easy way to draw attention to the cream. (High quality threads, not the high-quality power trio.)
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:32 am

Surely what you're asking for is effectively like the Facebook 'like' button :headbang:

And I'm not sure we really want to go there, as it's open to all sorts of manipulation ;)

Moreover, if I've got awjoe's intent correctly, you'd not necessarily see the 'cream' at the top of your list, but the most active, which judging by past experience might be an ugly argument leading to someone being banned. :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby awjoe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:27 am

Martin Walker wrote:Surely what you're asking for is effectively like the Facebook 'like' button :headbang:

And I'm not sure we really want to go there, as it's open to all sorts of manipulation ;)

Moreover, if I've got awjoe's intent correctly, you'd not necessarily see the 'cream' at the top of your list, but the most active, which judging by past experience might be an ugly argument leading to someone being banned. :beamup:

Martin

Not so much a Facebook like as a 'Best Of' list.

And I'm not interested at all in 'the most active', but rather 'worthy advice' as I stated in my first post.

The problem as I see it isn't the idea itself, it's how you'd arrive at it. Without, as you say, ugly argument. Whatever the mechanism was, it would be the mods, not the hoy polloy, who put a particular thread on the Worthy Advice List. Which is *exactly* what happened in the case of that thread on compression articles I started yonks ago. I didn't apply to have it put in the Useful Information Archive, it was somebody else. A mod, I presume? The mechanism could be as simple as somebody suggesting to a mod that a particular thread merits Worthy Advice Listdom, and the mod agreeing or disagreeing.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)