You are here

'Why I Love My Set-up' - January 2019

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

'Why I Love My Set-up' - January 2019

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:20 pm

They'll be a few who have a touch of the vapours when they read this article.

The minimalist set-up includes one mic - AKG C1000.

I have a puzzling reputation here for being a C1000 hater. Not true; I've simply pointed out in these hallowed halls that others don't like it at all. In fact I only owned one when one of our number kindly gave me one...

This is a guy who has some sort of track-record behind him (see what I did there?) and presumably has some sort of ear for recorded sound. Although the 'use it as a hammer/door-stop' jokes never fade, the C1000's still a hugely popular mic - hence AKG keep reinventing it, second-user ones get snapped-up on EBay and P White Esq gave the latest incarnation a sympathetic review.

'One man's poison is another person's meat' as the saying goes.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: 'Why I Love My Set-up' - January 2019

Postby John Egan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:They'll be a few who have a touch of the vapours when they read this article.

The minimalist set-up includes one mic - AKG C1000.

I have a puzzling reputation here for being a C1000 hater. Not true; I've simply pointed out in these hallowed halls that others don't like it at all. In fact I only owned one when one of our number kindly gave me one...................................................................

'One man's poison is another person's meat' as the saying goes.

Mike,
I don't hate them either. I used one for a few years as my only recording mic. It served me very well and I passed it on to a friend who loves it still. Ireplaced mine with a Rode NTK.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:36 pm

I used a couple for many years, when it was all I could afford. It was a necessary evil, but I cringed then and cringe now when I hear that chain-saw top end. You can pick up much better mic's for their price (and considerably lower) now, but the myth persists that they are good value for money - maybe once, but not now.

All IMO, of course.

I'd say something similar about the SM57/58, TBH - you can do better nowadays, but the myths persist...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mixedup » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:59 pm

It's great to have a pair of these available when you want to record claves — but have only a mic and no claves to hand.

See what I did there? :beamup:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:10 pm

About three years ago I assisted in some recording with Zukan and Tom King for some samples that unfortunately never got used. But I brought along my two C1000s and we did use them as claves.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853