You are here

SOS magazine in back drop of BBC news item!

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

SOS magazine in back drop of BBC news item!

Postby Kevin Nolan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Just spotted the weirdest thing ever -

BBC News 24 - at 16.43 today (21st Dec) - an item on sugar and salt content in food and criticism from the UK's chief medical officer on the food industry - and - as she's speaking - in some small room in what looks like a very ordinary building, in the background are shelves - and - scattered across the shelves are three copies of SOS Magazine!

Weird!

Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: SOS magazine in back drop of BBC news item!

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:58 pm

The CMO will probably suggest banning the mention of the word 'Hobnobs' in Studio SOS articles as they aren't healthy and shouldn't be encouraged.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:58 pm

8-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:01 pm

I would write a letter of protest. Somehow a shipment made it to our fair shores this past summer and the Missus brought some home. Words cannot describe the joy of my new addiction! But they are all gone now and the shelves in the market are bare.
Life is miserable.
Send Hobnobs, for gods sake, send somebefore we all perish . . . . . .

wait, there is a russian guy selling OEM versions on the corner. His packaging looks a little suspect....
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:20 pm

I believe this comic (and the next three strips) may be of interest to you MFG: http://www.sheldoncomics.com/archive/060213.html
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:37 pm

I think we should withhold HobNobs from North America until they sign a binding agreement that they refer to them as 'biscuits'... :tongue: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:36 pm

Let us not forget that ManfromGlass is a Canadian. Let them have all the HobNobs they want. We must encourage those who are telling the adjacent man-child to grow-up!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Can the Red Cross send food parcels to Canada?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dr R » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 am

I can't find the clip the OP mentioned anywhere on the BBC web sites. There is one with the CMO talking about salt and sugar earlier today, but it's got Today programme background behind her. When the camera is on the R4 presenter it's a very tight shot.
But copies of SOS in a speech radio studio strikes me as being perfectly reasonable. More so than Chiropractor News for example.
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:03 am

Dr R - after I posted here today I went back and rewound the digital transmission to double check - and sure enough - two copies of SOS magazine clearly in sight and a third partly blocked. Like on a shelf in a magazine shop - but most of the shelves empty and just these three copies of SOS spread across them.

As said - weird. But there you go.

I can assure you, the purchase of music technology has had more of an adverse effect on me than sugar and salt (I can't afford any sugary foods because of music technology :-) )
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr R » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:I can assure you, the purchase of music technology has had more of an adverse effect on me than sugar and salt (I can't afford any sugary foods because of music technology :-) )
:lol:
Reminds me of something a friend said; "I don't mind my son spending all his money buying gear, it means he can't afford drugs"
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks all for the morning chuckle :thumbup:

As for the original topic-perhaps there was a protege of Hugh's working on the set?
Hugh, didn't you train any of the new generation at BBC?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:34 pm

They should have pixeIated them or advised viewers that other music tech’ magazines are also available. I think such blatant product placement is most probably down to Hugh using his BBC contacts. :thumbup:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:10 pm

I saw that on the news yesterday too, I half thought I'd imagined it.
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Great spot Kevin!

SOS occasionally gets approached by film companies asking permission to use the magazine as a prop in certain scenes. Naturally, we agree.

It was in the opening shot of Love Actually in the cinema, but every time I watch the re-runs on telly, it's been edited out. :(

I also saw it in full view in the Billy Connolly/Jimmy Nail/Bill Nighy film Still Crazy about a fictional rock band called Strange Fruit getting together for a final tour of Germany, and when the keyboard player (actor Stephen Rea) is on the tour bus in his sleeper compartment, there's a shot of him holding SOS with the pink front cover. Tracked down this YouTube full movie but I feel sure it's been edited prior to this shot, as I recall seeing our logo.

It's at 40 minutes or so in: https://youtu.be/oAEtMyDm0Zs?t=2400 ...blink and you'll miss it.

I was on a flight to NAMM, Anaheim show when I first saw it and nearly wet my pants with excitement. :D
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Next