You are here

Question about the LiveTrak L‑20

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Question about the LiveTrak L‑20

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:56 pm

This is a question for Sam mostly, I guess. I used to use a Korg D888 for live recording and only gave it up because it was a 16 bit machine (yes I know, of course you can make good recordings on 16 bit but 24 bit just allows more space for people like me to not get things wrong).

The LiveTrak L‑20 strikes me as being the spiritual successor of the D888 and as such very interesting to me but I am also intending to get an ambisonic mic for live use. Of course an ambisonic mic requires that the recording levels on each of the 4 channels used are identical, which is easy if the preamps are digitally controlled.

Can you tell me if it is possible to set four preamps to the same level easily or to gang them so as to be able to set them up for an ambisonic mic?

TIA,

CC

PS I guess the same question would be relevant to the Tascam Model 24 when it arrives for review.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Question about the LiveTrak L‑20

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm afraid that there's no fader ganging, or gain display on the Zooms to let you precisely match levels. The best you would get would be to create a test signal and use that to match a level on the meters.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:04 pm

The Elf is right -- however... I did successfully use the L-20 quite a bit with the Rode NT-SF1 while I was reviewing that, without needing to do any lining up of gains. The NT-SF1 has a pretty hot output, and if you're recording at 24-bit, you can often get away with simply setting the mic preamps to their lowest (fixed) gain setting -- the recorded level is still perfectly workable. In fact for use as a drum overhead I had to do this and engage the pads too!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:36 am

Thanks Sam and Paul, that's very useful stuff. I do have a Superlux Pink Stick (unfortunate name, I have to say) so setting a test level in the field is not out of the question; however your experience with the NT-SF1 is very reassuring, Sam.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.