You are here

Feb 19 Q&A diagram label error.

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Feb 19 Q&A diagram label error.

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:07 am

Fig.2 on pg 175 of the paper issue (TS-TS cable) has the result labelled 'no output', when it will give (as stated in the text) a single channel of the stereo output.

Also, on pg 108, 1st para, I'm sure the 4.2GHz wi-fi frequency reference should be 2.4GHz.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Feb 19 Q&A diagram label error.

Postby Matt Houghton » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:43 am

Thanks Wonks, and apologies for the SNAFU. Correction imminent...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:43 am

:thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:45 am

Wonks wrote:Also, on pg 108, 1st para, I'm sure the 4.2GHz wi-fi frequency reference should be 2.4GHz.

Yes, someone else had already contacted me privately to point that one out, and I immediately corrected the online web article copy yesterday. The tablet/PDF editions should be updated by now too. I suspect the error was a typo in PW's original copy that slipped through the slightly frantic pre-Christmas double-issue production proofreading schedule! Apologies.

Fig.2 on pg 175 of the paper issue (TS-TS cable) has the result labelled 'no output', when it will give (as stated in the text) a single channel of the stereo output.

Indeed so. I had spotted the same drawing error when I was thumbing through the new issue the other day and was scratching my head as to how it came about... but then became distracted and forgot to chase it up -- so thanks for raising it again.

My confusion was because although I recognised the drawing as one of mine, I didn't recall sending in a diagram with the copy for that particular Q&A, and the diagram didn't actually relate directly to what I was talking about anyway (it shows a mono source feeding a stereo headphone socket, rather than the stereo source used in the situation being discussed). That didn't feel like an error I'd have made, particularly when the text description is correct, as you say.

Further investigation revealed that, in sub-editing the piece, Matt needed an illustration and rather than bothering me in the pre-Xmas rush, re-purposed a diagram I'd supplied previously for a broadly similar (but different in detail) Q&A back in 2015 -- hence the erroneous information in respect of the current Q&A!
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-how-do-i-record-my-guitar-amps-headphone-out

So bit of an oops moment, there... but I'll re-draw it to make it directly relevant to the Q&A and get the corrected version posted online and in the tablet/PDF editions asap. (Edited -- now all done!)

Thanks for raising the problem, Wonks. :thumbup:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:42 am

For reference, here's the updated and corrected diagram:

Stereo out to bal_unbal inputs.png
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:52 am

:thumbup:

Now, if you could just pop round and paste that in my magazine. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:05 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:For reference, here's the updated and corrected diagram

...which will appear very soon in electronic versions of the article.

I'll ask someone to set off for keen-eyed Wonks' place with a printout and a Pritt Stick, while I contemplate the revolver that's just appeared on my desk. :blush:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:14 pm

:clap: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:For reference, here's the updated and corrected diagram

...which will appear very soon in electronic versions of the article.

I'll ask someone to set off for keen-eyed Wonks' place with a printout and a Pritt Stick, while I contemplate the revolver that's just appeared on my desk. :blush:

No need to go to those lengths... just wait for tomorrow's weather then tell anyone who'll listen, "I'm just going outside; I may be some time." :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster