You are here

Starting from scratch article

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:16 pm

MOF wrote:I wouldn't say most people today need that level of technical knowledge....

Not in an introductory series of articles, I completely agree... but I'd argue strongly that they _do_ actually need it, even if they'd rather ignore it as it is underpinning knowledge that supports more sophisticated tasks and applications.

The glaring evidence that knowledge of very basic electronics and use of a multimeter are important and would be beneficial from the beginning of one's journey into audio can be seen in the relentless parade of questions we see here about ground loops and connection formats, and in the poorly thought-out fault-finding practices described so often.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:19 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The glaring evidence that knowledge of very basic electronics and use of a multimeter are important and would be beneficial from the beginning of one's journey into audio can be seen in the relentless parade of questions we see here about ground loops and connection formats, and in the poorly thought-out fault-finding practices described so often.
Even more basic stuff, like the difference between a TRS stereo connection as opposed to balanced mono - I find myself explaining this almost every other day.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:21 pm

I think the intention, in this case though, is to provide some uber-basic advice to allow a non-techie noob to start learning the joys of multitrack recording. There is probably something of the kind somewhere on 't'internet-of-things' but I'm sure the combined wisdom on here can do an at least as good a job.

edit :-
The Elf wrote:Even more basic stuff, like the difference between a TRS stereo connection as opposed to balanced mono - I find myself explaining this almost every other day.

Yup that definitely needs to be in the glossary if not the main text.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:22 pm

The glaring evidence that knowledge of very basic electronics and use of a multimeter are important and would be beneficial from the beginning of one's journey into audio can be seen in the relentless parade of questions we see here about ground loops and connection formats, and in the poorly thought-out fault-finding practices described so often.

Maybe this should be a "paid for" part of the Forum service? :clap:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:27 pm

I'm sure a suitable balance can be found, and it is obviously important that no newcomer is put off by unwelcome technicalities... but as Einstein is alleged to have said, 'everything should be as simple as it can be but not simpler!'

While music recording is an art, there is a lot of engineering and science involved too, and it really can't be brushed under the carpet in the hope that it will go away!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm sure a suitable balance can be found, and it is obviously important that no newcomer is put off by unwelcome technicalities... but as Einstein is alleged to have said, 'everything should be as simple as it can be but not simpler!'

While music recording is an art, there is a lot of engineering and science involved too, and it really can't be brushed under the carpet in the hope that it will go away!

H

Well a whole lot depends on how things are explained. One of my fave books is Godel, Escher, Bach where the author is capable to explain one of the most intricate ideas in classical logic in a way that anyone with interest can understand.. and without distorting the ideas one iota! I’ve experienced that many times, the ability of explaining is a totally different skill than the ability to know
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:47 pm

The Elf wrote:At least with a mag article you're not going to suffer from that next post "Ah, but..." that dogs simple answers to simple questions! :lol:

ROFL! I don't know what you mean! :bouncy:

You forget 'Feedback' - this very forum section, my friend!

It's been too long...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:07 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:It's been too long...

At 4", I doubt it. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby James Perrett » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:We've had similar discussions internally about the need for some more accessible articles for newbies. We definitely need to do something on this... but equally, there's only so much space in the mag each month.

For some reason I was reminded of my early experience of electronics magazines. My favourite articles were the Practical Wireless Take 20 series where each month they featured a simple circuit that could be constructed by beginners which used 20 components or less (hence the name). While most of the other featured projects were pretty daunting to a beginner, these were achievable and I remember my sense of pride when the first circuit I built actually worked.

This makes me wonder whether there might be space for a one page article each month on just a small aspect of audio that beginners (and maybe also some more experienced practitioners) find difficult.

Another thought could be to produce some handy reference cards with, say, all the common connectors on them and how they are wired or maybe one on levels showing the common standards and a chart relating dBSPL to common sounds.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby RobinC » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 pm

blinddrew wrote:I've had a quick trawl but apologies if I've missed something, but I wonder - based on some of the new threads over the last few months - whether we're due a new 'starting from scratch' article or series?
Thoughts?

I’d like to a series on mixing aimed at newbies that included online links to files to illustrate points. When someone is describing something about sound im personally not sure I quite get their point with an audio file to illustrate.
RobinC
Poster

Postby Kwackman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:08 pm

RobinC wrote: I’d like to a series on mixing aimed at newbies that included online links to files to illustrate points. When someone is describing something about sound im personally not sure I quite get their point with an audio file to illustrate.

I think some of Zukan's tutorials do that.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:57 pm

James Perrett wrote:
This makes me wonder whether there might be space for a one page article each month on just a small aspect of audio that beginners (and maybe also some more experienced practitioners) find difficult.

Another thought could be to produce some handy reference cards with, say, all the common connectors on them and how they are wired or maybe one on levels showing the common standards and a chart relating dBSPL to common sounds.

I like the cut of your jib sir! :D

I've been 'background mulling' about all this today and my thinking is leading me in the same direction.

Plus I well remember in the early 70's when I was getting into all this stuff one of the then recording magazine had a freebie card one month with diagrams of all the then common plugs and how they were wired for various applications. (The DIN plug- now known as 'MIDI plug' - featured prominently in both it's three- and five-pin iterations, and nary an XLR to be seen!) I kept that card for years...

The advantage of an ongoing series of short articles is that the writing responsibility could be shared around. However, it would then necessitate a constant editor to ensure a degree of uniformity of style and that gaps or overlaps didn't result.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:23 pm

James Perrett wrote:This makes me wonder whether there might be space for a one page article each month on just a small aspect of audio that beginners (and maybe also some more experienced practitioners) find difficult.

Tee hee.... I had the same idea a year or two ago and started writing a series of one and two page pieces along exactly those lines that I nominally called 'Tech Notes'. There must be 25 or more done now -- enough for a couple of year's worth of issues already! -- and I continue to add new ones when inspired by forum questions and emails, etc. They're all on file awaiting a publishing opportunity, and we are currently thinking about ways of making some of them into videos too. One day...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Kwackman wrote:
RobinC wrote: I’d like to a series on mixing aimed at newbies that included online links to files to illustrate points. When someone is describing something about sound im personally not sure I quite get their point with an audio file to illustrate.

I think some of Zukan's tutorials do that.

Already exists in the Mix Rescue series.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby zenguitar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:18 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
James Perrett wrote:This makes me wonder whether there might be space for a one page article each month on just a small aspect of audio that beginners (and maybe also some more experienced practitioners) find difficult.

Tee hee.... I had the same idea a year or two ago and started writing a series of one and two page pieces along exactly those lines that I nominally called 'Tech Notes'. There must be 25 or more done now -- enough for a couple of year's worth of issues already! -- and I continue to add new ones when inspired by forum questions and emails, etc. They're all on file awaiting a publishing opportunity, and we are currently thinking about ways of making some of them into videos too. One day...

Bite Size Basics.

Has the potential to be the new Synth Secrets. And the first year syllabus for most MT degree courses ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

PreviousNext