You are here

"Read more online..." text in the written mag

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

"Read more online..." text in the written mag

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:03 am

Being a paper subscriber i don't tend to look at the online version of the magazine, however it appears that more content is being carried here nowadays (for obvious reasons, and we get gut-shots too :) ).
Please could some text (or even an icon) be included in the paper mag to indicate which articles have additional online content?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: "Read more online..." text in the written mag

Postby Kwackman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:46 pm

blinddrew wrote:Please could some text (or even an icon) be included in the paper mag to indicate which articles have additional online content?

That's a good idea, :thumbup: although I reckon if it did happen, there'll be lots of posts complaining about "why should I have to look on line to see stuff when I paid good money for a paper magazine. This is a disgrace and.... blah, blah."- you get the idea. (Even though they're happy to go on line to complain!)
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:56 pm

The articles and reviews in the paper magazine are complete and self-contained in themselves but, where we can, we are increasingly placing 'extra value' content in the online and tablet editions, such as audio and video clips, additional screenshots, more photographs, extra box-out texts with peripheral information, and so forth.

It doesn't apply to every item, obviously, but it is particularly the case with my technical reviews because there simply isn't enough space in the paper mag for all the AP test plots etc.

We could put it all in the mag... but then the cover price would have to double, and your post-delivery person would snarl at you each month while struggling to force a telephone-directory sized magazine through your letterbox!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:02 pm

Yes, we do try... but we create the print article first, and often the decision on what will fit in the available print space and what will be used online-only is made rather late in the print production process.

As a general rule, if there are more pics available than we can fit on the print layout, they'll always be made available in the online version, and often in the iOS/Android App too. Very occasionally, there may be extra text boxes too.

By way of example, I'd say that for studio hardware (eg mic preamps, compressors, EQs, consoles... which is one of the product categories I look after), you'll find an additional pic or two online for perhaps 60-80% of articles. As Hugh says, you'll also find AP plots for many of the products reviewed by him, and you'll usually find audio to accompany any Session Notes and Mix Rescue features too, along with some descriptive text (these are flagged up in the mag already).

We hope to be putting more 'extras' online as time goes on, whether that be pics, audio clips, videos, links to other resources or whatever... and if/how we flag different content up in the print version of the mag is something I'll be discussing with colleagues.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:39 pm

Cheers folks, just to clarify, I'm all for the extra content appearing online - I look at it as bonus material that's online, not print stuff that I've been robbed of :) .
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...