You are here

Interpreting audio measurement data - suggestion for an article

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Interpreting audio measurement data - suggestion for an article

Postby Dennis J Wilkins » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:39 pm

Back from some errands - forgot to mention REW 5.2 will be released about mid-August, otherwise it's still beta (and not available on the REW site which still has 5.19). And as I did mention, using the previous swept-sine measurement files with 5.2 messes up the results (in like manner to Hugh's observations about inappropriate settings and measurements). So if you'd used 5.19 or earlier and have measurements saved in files, you might want to keep a 5.19 version around. Actually, John recently added a check on the file type, and 5.2 will refuse to use older test files, so again, keep an older version around if you want to analyze older test data.

Acoustics are terribly complex and measurements are "touchy" but with some experimentation and patience (believe me, you will need patience!) you can make excellent assessments of a room. And hopefully make significant improvements.

I gotta run again. No rest for the weary!
Dennis J Wilkins
Poster
Dennis - Colorado USA

Postby Dennis J Wilkins » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:18 pm

Not intending to reply to my own reply, but right after I posted the last message, I received notice of a new REW beta update, 5.2 beta 16, which appears to have more changes than any of the last few betas. I'll give it a run-through soon.

BTW, version 5.19 is perfectly fine to use and wouldn't limit measurement capability in any significant way, but I felt an article should reflect the latest version (which has confounded my progress!). Seems this has happened to me a few times before with other software . . .
Dennis J Wilkins
Poster
Dennis - Colorado USA

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:33 pm

I did think about taking some measurements of my current room for comparison purposes, but as it would add no value I went outside and dug up more of the garden instead. My back is telling me I may regret this in the morning. :)
Thanks for the updates and the sanguine advice.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous