You are here

A tiny mistake in the Oct 2019 Novation Summit review

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

A tiny mistake in the Oct 2019 Novation Summit review

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Trivial, but on page 2 of the review (https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/no ... mit?page=2) is the sentence "... the wonderful Yamaha GS1 (the 'Toto keyboard') offered a pair of 2‑op sine-wave FM generators whereas the Summit offer a pair of 3‑op multi-wave FM generators".

I think the word after 'Summit' in that sentence should be 'offers'. I have no idea why I noticed that, I can only offers (sic) I've read the review, errr, more than once ;)

PS: Just noticed also that in the online article (not the printed magazine, which doesn't show the price in USD) the UKP and USD figures are butted together when viewed with Firefox on Windows 10 as shown in the highlighted screenshot below (I've not checked with any other combination of OS and browser).

Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Re: A tiny mistake in the Oct 2019 Novation Summit review

Postby The Korff » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Well spotted! I've fixed the offer/offers, but I don't know what's going on with the pricing... The UK and US prices are correctly tagged for UK/ROW IP addresses, so in theory you should only see one, depending on where you're viewing the page from.

I'll look into it...
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:12 pm

Nothing fancy going on here on the IP address front. Although I do regularly appear from mainland EU IP addresses when travelling, at present I'm in the UK and use no VPNs or anything like that when browsing SOS.

Hopefully that's useful, cheers :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby 18is9 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Well, I do not know if this is a mistake or not: "Oh yes... and the post-filter overdrive now has its own knob, which seems like a small improvement, but isn’t. It’s another big one."

Where is this knob located?
18is9

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:39 pm

18is9 wrote:Well, I do not know if this is a mistake or not: "Oh yes... and the post-filter overdrive now has its own knob, which seems like a small improvement, but isn’t. It’s another big one."

I believe it's the one just to the left of the blue line that separates the Amp and Mod Envelope slider sections as circled in red below:

Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:10 pm

18is9 wrote:Well, I do not know if this is a mistake or not: "Oh yes... and the post-filter overdrive now has its own knob, which seems like a small improvement, but isn’t. It’s another big one."

But (without knowing anything about the Novation synths and just looking at the pictures on the Novation web site), the Peak also has a knob that says 'overdrive' in the filter section.

So I'm now confused. According to the review, the post-filter overdrive on the peak was supposed to be accessed only via the menus, but there's a dedicated overdrive knob in basically the same place on both the Peak and the Summit. I can't see any other dedicated overdrive knobs so I assume they are doing the same thing in the same place. And both the Peak and Summit have a separate Distortion knob in the effects section.

So is the statement about a new dedicated overdrive knob on the Summit incorrect, or have I missed something glaringly obvious (as normal)?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Wonks wrote:So is the statement about a new dedicated overdrive knob on the Summit incorrect, or have I missed something glaringly obvious (as normal)?

I find it hard to believe that a non-existent knob would be explicitly referenced in the review, but until my Summit arrives (I'm like a child on Christmas Eve at the moment as it's due 'late October' and as of yet have not had a firm ETA from the folks I pre-ordered it from!) I'm not sure.

I suppose it's not impossible that the physical knob has changed function from the Peak to the Summit such that in the Summit it's located in a different part of the audio chain but the Novation website, though mentioning 3 stages of analogue distortion, is unclear as far as I can tell.

I'm not able to do so right now but my curiousity is piqued so I'll see what I can dig up later from the couple-of-dozen bookmarks I've got related to the Summit.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Korff » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:21 am

From our original review of the Peak:

The filter’s analogue design offers 12dB and 24dB slopes with a choice of low-pass, band-pass and high-pass modes. Each mode is rendered considerably more versatile by the application of overdrive, available in both pre- and post-filter forms. The pre-filter version earns a knob on the panel while the post-filter drive is tucked away in the Voice menu...
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:48 am

The Korff wrote:From our original review of the Peak:

The filter’s analogue design offers 12dB and 24dB slopes with a choice of low-pass, band-pass and high-pass modes. Each mode is rendered considerably more versatile by the application of overdrive, available in both pre- and post-filter forms. The pre-filter version earns a knob on the panel while the post-filter drive is tucked away in the Voice menu...

Indeed. But the Summit review reads as if an extra knob has been added to control the post-filter overdrive.

Oh yes... and the post-filter overdrive now has its own knob, which seems like a small improvement, but isn't. It's another big one.

As no extra overdrive knob appears to have been added to the filter or mixer section, then the 'existing' knob would then appear to have been repurposed, and presumably the pre-filter overdrive is now accessed only via menus.

I'm guessing here, but if that's the case, then it would have been more informative if the review said that.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby 18is9 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:55 am

I actually hope that this is a mistake instead of changing the pre-filter drive to post-filter drive. The guys in Gearlutz seem to think this is just a mistake in the article and the controls are the same both in Peak and Summit. We'll see when we get the unit home or the manual online.
18is9

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:54 am

I'll have the hardware in (hopefully) a couple of weeks as well. I didn't find anything definitive elsewhere as of yet and I too couldn't find the manual on their site so I'm wondering if the delay in getting it to shops is in some part associated with creating that.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Interesting... I've found a video where it shows the Overdrive knob next to the filters being used, and he also has a menu showing which has a parameter called "FltPostDrv":

The video also has audio of him adjusting the Overdrive knob next to the filters while an external drum rhythm is being processed via the audio inputs on the Summit.

Pure speculation, but it's possible that the Overdrive knob is now configurable as either pre or post filter. The audio input can be configured to be pre or post filter after all.

If anyone wants to try and glean more from the video the section I'm talking about is here (it's at an offset of 19:02): https://youtu.be/cRvaSrstxQM?t=1142
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Now that I've got a Summit sitting on the table here, I still can't find a dedicated post-filter distortion knob, although you can use the parameter knob to the right of the display if the post-filter distortion setting is selected in the voice menu.

From the Summit manual:

Distortion may be added with the single Level control (1). A controlled amount of distortion is added after the VCA, in the analogue domain, and affects the sum of all sixteen voices and any external audio inputs applied.

This means that the distortion characteristic will change as the amplitude of the signal changes over time as a result of the Amplitude Envelope, and also with the number of active voices.

The output from the Distortion processor is then routed to the other FX. Note that “per-voice” distortion may be added either post-filter by adjusting Post Filter Drive on Page 3 of the Voice menu, or pre-filter by adjusting the Overdrivecontrol in the Filter section

1: This Level Control is the 'Distortion' knob in the FX section and applied to everything
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Looks like an edit to the web edition review is called for.
Wonks
Jedi Poster