You are here

Is This Legal?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Is This Legal?

Postby Folderol » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:17 pm

I see we have that annoying slidey down banner again, that prevents you logging in (or even viewing pages) unless you accept the terms :protest:

I thought that was supposed to have been kicked into the long grass ages ago :roll:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Is This Legal?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Do you mean the "We use cookies on this site to enhance your user experience" banner in blue?

If so, then I have a feeling it's probably a legal requirement that it is there. It should disappear once you've accepted though. I've not seen it for forever-and-a-day and had to access the forum in incognito mode to see it. Did you clean your cache or delete some cookies* lately?

* I love deleting cookies. Especially Hob-Nobs.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby DGL. » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:

Hob-Nobs are NOT cookies you swine. They are a far superior BISCUIT, we are British you know! :mrgreen:

Not back to the advertised programming :)
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:03 pm

DGL. wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

Hob-Nobs are NOT cookies you swine. They are a far superior BISCUIT, we are British you know! :mrgreen:

Ahem. Quite. A good point well made. As you were!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Folderol wrote:I see we have that annoying slidey down banner again, that prevents you logging in (or even viewing pages) unless you accept the terms :protest:

I thought that was supposed to have been kicked into the long grass ages ago :roll:

Nope, it is a legal requirement to inform you and get your positive consent to the use of some cookies. It generally only appears if you have cleared out your cookies from your browser (or are using a new browser to access the site for the first time), or if something critical has been changed in the website.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:22 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It generally only appears if you have cleared out your cookies from your browser (or are using a new browser to access the site for the first time), or if something critical has been changed in the website.

Yep, it appeared for me today - I'm trying out the Brave browser, and am currently most impressed with its combination of Chrome speed (it's based on the same code) but more privacy.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:35 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I'm trying out the Brave browser, and am currently most impressed with its combination of Chrome speed (it's based on the same code) but more privacy.

Although I use a paid service from Google to get gmail for my personal domain, I moved away from Chrome and the Google search engine for privacy reasons. I was using Brave for a while but it seemed to have problems with my graphics card and would freeze regularly while the 'sysem interrupts' metric in the performance monitor went off the scale and maxxed out the CPU for up to 30 seconds at a time so I had to uninstall it.

I ended up using Firefox with privacy plugins, but I don't like it as much and it has the same issue, albeit much less so than Brave did. I think I'll try Brave again and see if that issue is still in evidence, as other than that I really liked it!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Firefox seems to go through phases of upsetting my graphics card where everything goes blank for a while then reloads, normally when changing to another web page. But I've never really had any speed issues with browsers (except for occasionally waiting for web sites to respond) and on my PC, Chrome (emergency use only if FF won't show a page i really need to see) isn't any faster. But I've always had a relatively fast broadband connection, so any speed optimisation is pretty irrelevant. Currently 212 download, 24 upload.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:57 am

Before I tried out Brave I was using Chrome - I switched to that because of a few long-term issues with specific websites with Firefox, mostly of the 'embedded music/video player wouldn't play or even appear on screen' variety. As soon as I installed Chrome, all those issues immediately disappeared.

However, I've always been suspicious of the (lack of) privacy aspects of the Google empire, so when I stumbled across Brave a week or two back it seemed like a neat sideways move.

So far I'm well impressed with it, and it's noticeably faster for me with graphics-heavy web pages, mainly because it avoids having to load so many unnecessary (to me anyway) screen elements.

Martin
Martin Walker