You are here

Is This Legal?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Is This Legal?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:23 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I’ve pretty well given up on thinking secure software protects privacy better than others. I assume a mid-level to pro hacker will have your information if they deem you worthy, no matter what. Or a large corp with full time codewriters will have it too.

The issue is not just one of privacy. People who build botnets aren't interested in your data, they just want to control your machine for your own purposes. I'd rather not have my computer used used for nefarious activities like DDOS attacks.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:27 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:I’ve pretty well given up on thinking secure software protects privacy better than others. I assume a mid-level to pro hacker will have your information if they deem you worthy, no matter what. Or a large corp with full time codewriters will have it too.

The issue is not just one of privacy. People who build botnets aren't interested in your data, they just want to control your machine for your own purposes. I'd rather not have my computer used used for nefarious activities like DDOS attacks.

CC
Apart from other protective measures I have a small program on my computer watching the network activity. I've also got into the habit of switching my router off at random intervals.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:33 am

Folderol wrote:I've also got into the habit of switching my router off at random intervals.

Interesting idea, I think I might tr ££*&^NO CARRIER
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:43 am

We need a ROTFL icon! :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:41 am

My gateway is on a time switch*, 1/2 for security & 1/2 to give me a hint that its time for bed and the internet will still be there tomorrow night .

*I gave it a bump tonight as tmorrow is an easy day.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:53 am

N i g e l wrote:My gateway is on a time switch*, 1/2 for security & 1/2 to give me a hint that its time for bed and the internet will still be there tomorrow night .

But somebody might be wrong on the internet _right now_ ... how can you sleep knowing that??? :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

:bouncy: :headbang:
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:42 am

Dave B wrote:
N i g e l wrote:My gateway is on a time switch*, 1/2 for security & 1/2 to give me a hint that its time for bed and the internet will still be there tomorrow night .

But somebody might be wrong on the internet _right now_ ... how can you sleep knowing that??? :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

https://www.xkcd.com/386

Nuff sed?
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:31 pm

Folderol wrote:I've also got into the habit of switching my router off at random intervals.

According to a BT engineer I was talking to once the exchange will interpret this as problems on the line and will reduce the speed of your connection in an effort to reduce the disconnections.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:43 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:

According to a BT engineer I was talking to once the exchange will interpret this as problems on the line and will reduce the speed of your connection in an effort to reduce the disconnections.

CC
I think that applies to frequent disconnects, not one every few days (or even a week or two).
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:10 pm

The engineer didn't specify so you might be right. OTOH you didn't say how often you switched off ;)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:30 pm

Folderol wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:

I think that applies to frequent disconnects, not one every few days (or even a week or two).

I had a power cut a month or two back , and my download speed had dropped by about 30% when the power returned a few seconds later.

So, in my experience, a single blackout can indeed be interpreted as a serious problem on the line :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby N i g e l » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:55 am

Folderol wrote:
Dave B wrote:

https://www.xkcd.com/386

Nuff sed?

:thumbup:
Wow ! who could have known ? There *ARE* wrongs on the WWW but ....the WWW is still here, days later. If I was a Bot the logic would explode my brain.
Sensibly, I will give the timer an extra 5 minutes and have a serious think about the situation. :headbang:

:)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:08 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Folderol wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:

I had a power cut a month or two back , and my download speed had dropped by about 30% when the power returned a few seconds later.

So, in my experience, a single blackout can indeed be interpreted as a serious problem on the line :headbang:

Martin

I have been told by a usually reliable source that if you are going to disconnect from your ADSL you need to leave it for at least 20 to 30 minutes, anything shorter will be interpreted as a fault, with a drop in speed to try to fix it - as you have discovered. A long disconnect will lead to a full re-negotiation of the connection once the router is reconnected, and sometimes can lead to a slightly faster speed. YMMV.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:20 pm

Being on satellite is like a giant party line. One of the tricks when speeds drop is to shut the system off for 60 seconds. When rebooted one is supposedly closer to the front of the line and speeds return to normal. Satellite is still crap and speeds fluctuate every 5 minutes. Satellite is the only option unless I want to build 110 foot tower to get above the trees.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:17 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:I have been told by a usually reliable source that if you are going to disconnect from your ADSL you need to leave it for at least 20 to 30 minutes, anything shorter will be interpreted as a fault, with a drop in speed to try to fix it - as you have discovered. A long disconnect will lead to a full re-negotiation of the connection once the router is reconnected, and sometimes can lead to a slightly faster speed. YMMV.

Actually, that ties in with my experience as well - I also disconnect all my gear from the mains if I go on holiday (typically a week away), and on several occasions when I reconnect and boot up my connection speed has been better.

Must try that again overnight to see if I get an improvement :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous