You are here

There is no double S in BUSES

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

There is no double S in BUSES

Postby ruffrecords » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:18 pm

As journalists, I expected SOS would know the proper spelling of words specific to our industry but it appears not to be the case. In the recent article on How to Mix a Live Recording the plural of BUS was spelled BUSSES instead of the correct BUSES.

There is no double S in BUSES.

Advertisers are even worse. It is all to easy to find instances of BUS spelled BUSS.

The internet has only made things worse. The number of times BUS is spelled wrong on forums is nothing short of unbelievable.

Please help stamp out this misuse of our beautiful language.

Cheers

Ian
ruffrecords
New here

Re: There is no double S in BUSES

Postby Wonks » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:47 pm

Our cousins across the pond use double s for bus so you get buss and busses.

Why they chose to add letters rather than remove them as they normally do with words, I have no idea.

But it happened and so people use what they are most used to dealing with. It would be nice if everything was consistent, but it's not. I find the horror of 'analog' instead of 'analogue' much harder to bear than 'buses/busses'. But I manage to cope whilst inwardly despairing.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:00 pm

But is that a lesson you've learnt Wonks, or was it learned? ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Pet peeves:

'alot' - this one has become an epidemic.

'would of', 'could of' - fast gaining ground.

'You're' versus 'your' - I blame pop music.

Massive overuse of 'At the end of the day'.

And our American cousins seem far too fond of the superfluous 'go ahead and...'.

I'm told that none of this matters. :lolno:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:36 pm

ruffrecords wrote:As journalists...

:wtf: We never use the 'J' word! :lol: We're all engineers/musicians/producers who happen to like writing about this stuff. No one working for SOS is a real journalist. Thank heavens! :bouncy:

I expected SOS would know the proper spelling of words specific to our industry but it appears not to be the case.

Ah... but appearances can be deceiving! I can assure you we do all know... the engineers amongst us especially, as we know the term is an abbreviation of 'busbars'.

To try and ensure consistency, we have a 'House Style' rule book for things like this which does actually state that we prefer to use bus and not buss (etc). In fact, we are quite unusual in this house preference as most of our competitors adopt the US-preferred spelling with multiple S's.

In the recent article on How to Mix a Live Recording the plural of BUS was spelled BUSSES instead of the correct BUSES.

:oops: Sorry... four misspellings obviously slipped through the sub-editing and proofing processes. The cross-heading was correct though. Small blessings... ;)

But seriously, thanks for pointing out our collective failings... I have corrected and updated the online article for you and will now go and flagellate whoever I can find that's responsible for this totally reprehensible behaviour.

The corrected article is here: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/stage-studio

Sorry... :cry: :cry: :cry:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:39 pm

You learn something every day. I've always thought the correct spelling for the word when applied to mixing consoles and electronics was with the double s. I think it's probably because that was the way I'd seen it spelt in various magazines and unconsiously absorbed that as fact.

It really doesn't bother me at all either way, which I find odd given I'm a bit of a stickler for various similar things in the language but in light of this thread I shall adjust my default spelling for it!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:26 pm

ruffrecords wrote:Please help stamp out this misuse of our beautiful language.

Ian

Well, now, you'll have to be more specific about which of the many languages that have been cobbled together to form what we call "English" you refer to, good sir. Would it the the proto-indo-european contents or some other language family for which are so rightfully concerned?

As soon as absolute clarity has been attained we shall forthwith commence the beatings!
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Wonks » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote: I have corrected and updated the online article for you and will now go and flagellate whoever I can find that's responsible for this totally reprehensible behaviour.

It's not your turn with the whip until Friday. There'll be disquiet amongst the ranks if you push in. Just sayin' loike. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby wireman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:53 pm

Wonks wrote:Our cousins across the pond use double s for bus so you get buss and busses.

Why they chose to add letters rather than remove them as they normally do with words, I have no idea.

I don't think I have noticed buss in the USA. In computing terms I think it would be bus — the 1969 DEC PDP-11 handbook has that form. And I'm ignoring any archaic words for osculation.
wireman
Regular

Postby Folderol » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:55 pm

... to say nothing of the fact that nearly everyone seems to have forgotten to persuade others to be more careful with spelling, and prefers to try to convince them to do so.

This gives an entirely different slant, bearing in mind where the word 'con' comes from and it's unsavoury connotations. :roll:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:04 pm

Folderol wrote:... to say nothing of the fact that nearly everyone seems to have forgotten to persuade others to be more careful with spelling, and prefers to try to convince them to do so.

This gives an entirely different slant, bearing in mind where the word 'con' comes from and it's unsavoury connotations. :roll:

You've provinced me
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:52 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:...oops: Sorry... four misspellings obviously slipped through the sub-editing and proofing processes.

H

Always the way, you wait so long and then four come along at once.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby Mixedup » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:34 pm

Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:44 pm

My New Penguin English Dictionary also agrees: while 'bus' always has a single 's', both 'bused' and 'bussed' are allowed, as are 'busing' and 'bussing'. :geek:

#makepedantrygreatagain
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:40 pm

That dimwit Otto Korekt is always slipping something past me
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Korff » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:02 pm

The 1994 edition of HW Fowler's Modern English Usage says:

The plural of bus is usually buses; this irregularity [compared with the general rules for the doubling or not doubling of final consonants before suffixes] is explained by the fact that buses is still regarded as an abbreviation of omnibuses; when that is forgotten (& bus is now more usual than 'bus), doubtless buses will become, as it should, busses.

That was in 1994. Who now seriously writes 'bus (or 'phone) anymore?
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Korff » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:03 pm

...which is why I change 'buses' to 'busses' whenever I'm proofreading.

Hugh, can you change them back please? :bouncy:
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Korff » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Incidentally, there is a proud tradition of sticklerism at SOS HQ, which is why we only changed to the more modern 'website' (from 'web site'), and ditched the apostrophe in 'cello', in the last couple of years!
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Korff » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ah... but appearances can be deceiving! I can assure you we do all know... the engineers amongst us especially, as we know the term is an abbreviation of 'busbars'.

Aha! In which case it definitely ought to follow Fowler's rules for doubling of consonants!

To try and ensure consistency, we have a 'House Style' rule book for things like this which does actually state that we prefer to use bus and not buss (etc).

We do indeed... but I'm not sure you have the latest version of it, I'm afraid! I'll get it to you ASAP.

Sorry... four misspellings obviously slipped through the sub-editing and proofing processes. The cross-heading was correct though.

The crosshead was wrong, in that case... Which is entirely my fault — very sorry about that.

But seriously, thanks for pointing out our collective failings... I have corrected and updated the online article for you and will now go and flagellate whoever I can find that's responsible for this totally reprehensible behaviour.

I'll fire myself first thing in the morning.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:30 pm

I wasnt that bothered but whilst on the subject of mixer corrections..

DEC'19 page 104

"1970s....1996.....Fast forward to the 20th century when .."

I guess im not going to win a mixer now :(
N i g e l
Regular

Next