You are here

Restart Reaper Tips Section

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Restart Reaper Tips Section

Postby db9091 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:01 pm

I see that in 2019 you had 5 Mix Rescue articles where they ported projects to their favorite DAW: Reaper.

Yet you've not had ANY Tip articles for Reaper since 2018!

I also see tips for weird DAWS (ie Propellerhead?!) that less that 1% of ppl use in the Tips section.

You should contact Kenny Gioia to provide useful articles, since he's the user favorite and a fantastic teacher.

Or... just ask one of your Mix Rescue writers? I would like to restart my subscription if I saw some useful Reaper information. Otherwise, your magazine comes off (to me) as just a big Ad for high end gear with little review value since you don't really say bad things about products except between the lines (ie when there isn't huge bragging) which I know is not your intention, but unconsciously who wants to turn away advertisers. So the "tip" and "rescue" sections take on huge import as a result. Thanks!
db9091

Re: Restart Reaper Tips Section

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:54 pm

I am generally a fan of "the SOS way" on these things but I believe the mag would struggle to provide anything that is not covered in depth on the Cockos forum. I think, however, this says more about the hands-on support of the Reaper community than any lack of interest or expertise at SOS hq.

I did have a bit of a "doh!" moment a while back when I realised that any technique described in just about any DAW article was relevant to Reaper, albeit that the terminology and appearance might be slightly different but, again, that is because with a little bit of time and application it can be pretty much all things to everyone.

This of course applies to other DAWs as well but in my limited experience not to the same extent.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:11 pm

Last I heard was that the regular Reaper writer had been ill. Matt Houghton did put a post up asking for suggestions for potential topics but that was a while back.
I guess the challenge is not knowing what to suggest when you don't know what you're missing. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:36 am

I believe that Reaper Notes is about to make an imminent reappearance, with at least a couple of columns already in the pipeline.

Watch this space!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BillB » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:55 am

Martin Walker wrote:I believe that Reaper Notes is about to make an imminent reappearance, with at least a couple of columns already in the pipeline.
Watch this space!
Martin

Cool! 8-)
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:05 pm

Having just looked at the flat plan, I can confirm that there is a Reaper DAW workshop in the February 2020 editions of the magazine/tablet/full issue PDF.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,958 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby blinddrew » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:34 pm

:thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:09 pm

Can I address the comment about reviews? SOS certainly *do* criticise gear when it is warranted, if you've missed that then you haven't been reading that closely.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Well picked-up, Rich. I am sure most SOSSERS will agree that Sound on Sound’s reputation is built upon the rigour (both depth and impartiality) of its reviews and technical advice. If somebody lets slip in a review that they tested the first CS80 (or whatever) to enter the UK, they are just underlining their credentials :bouncy:

The reviews are always first rate. Very rarely, I can recall where a review comment has been questioned in this forum and accepted as ‘could have been phrased better’. But 99% of the time, the editorial standard is impeccable.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Back to Reaper tips, I was just thinking out loud, to no-one in particular, Martin Walker... if only we knew someone who was an experienced music technologist, a user of Reaper, someone who had written extensively in the past for SOS on topics like, oh, I don’t know, PC Notes or some such.... wouldn't that person, whoever they might be, Martin Walker, be the ideal person to write Reason Notes?

Just a thought. ;)
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Reason Notes? Surely Simon S has that taken care of? ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:55 pm

Yes, as Martin says, Reaper workshops have been resting rather than retired, and partly for reasons beyond my control... which is why I've made sure we've had some Mix Rescues featuring Reaper. But there's a workshop in Feb, another that's been submitted and which will follow soon after, and more are planned over the coming year.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby The Bunk » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:42 pm

I'd sort of half-noticed the less frequent Reaper workshops but I'd always thought they were more occasional features than the monthly regulars anyway. That said, I usually buy some other Music Production mags, solely for the free sample CDs they give away but they steer clear of Reaper like it's the work of the devil or something. Or perhaps "not cool" because it's inexpensive, although in fairness it's been suggested that those mags focus very heavily on EDM to which other DAWs are perhaps more suited.

BTW, great Quo article in the most recent SOS.. It's always nice to see them given a respectful nod.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:01 pm

The Bunk wrote:BTW, great Quo article in the most recent SOS.. It's always nice to see them given a respectful nod.

And then another nod, and another, and another and another.... :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Bunk » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:33 pm

:bouncy: :bouncy:
Haven't listened to the album (and I won't, the passing of RP well and truly finished the band off for me) but by all accounts the chord count is surprisingly high :crazy: :crazy:
The Bunk
Frequent Poster