You are here

What is Sound on Sound's name drawn from?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

What is Sound on Sound's name drawn from?

Postby Jaidy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Is Sound on Sound name at least partially a play on the ancient tape recorder feature called 'sound on sound'?

I had a Teac 4 channel reel to reel years ago that had a feature to produce sound on sound, I think it was called Simul-Sync.

I was going to discuss this with someone recently but could find zip on the web about it, Sound on Sound magazine/website, totally dominates any search results so I can't find anything about the origin of the sound on sound technique.

Can you direct me to any source the describes/defines the old tape recorder sound on sound technique?
Jaidy

Re: What is Sound on Sound's name drawn from?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:59 pm

The magazine's name is entirely based on the internal track-bouncing and mixing facility built in to a lot of domestic and semi-pro tape machines back in the day... Several tape machine manufacturers labelled it as the very descriptive 'Sound on Sound' function, which was found on many stereo or two-track recorders.

The idea was to record on one track, then play that back, mix it with a new input, and record the mix onto the second track. The process could be repeated, replaying that mixed track, adding in another input source, and recording the new mix back onto the original track. Hence Sound on Sound... on sound...on sound... on sound...

But the Sound on Sound term itself was first coined by Les Paul who pioneered the technique as the slightly crude origination of what we now call overdubbing.

The Simul-Sync function included on Tascam multitrack recorders was slightly different in that it referred to the use of the record head in a three-head machine for replay, thereby ensuring synchronisation of overdubbed parts across all tracks.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:16 pm

I suddenly feel very, very old...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:23 pm

I always read it to be SOUND(as a pound) ON (the subject matter of) SOUND. And the acronym SOS implies the supplying of a paddle for those up the audio creek without one!

I guess it is a 'plusieurs entendre' :crazy:
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:30 pm

Moroccomoose wrote:I always read it to be SOUND(as a pound) ON (the subject matter of) SOUND. I guess it is a 'plusieurs entendre' :crazy:
And now I feel even older...

I created my first two albums using a process of sound on sound by bouncing between a pair of ancient (even then) stereo open-reel recorders. Sometimes I would draft in an additional cassette recorder to add some non-time-critical parts. I didn't even know that the process had a name - I invented it for myself and thought it was just me!

The amount of noise by the third bounce was so bad that some early parts disappeared into the tape hiss.

I have no feelings of nostalgia for those times! :headbang: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:34 pm

I'd "borrow" my dad's cassette deck, and my sister's ghettoblaster, and do sound on sound recordings bouncing between them, adding parts each time...

That's what you have to do when resources are limited... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby jaminem » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:45 pm

desmond wrote:I'd "borrow" my dad's cassette deck, and my sister's ghettoblaster, and do sound on sound recordings bouncing between them, adding parts each time...

I did my extended 'remix' of Harold Faltermeyer's 'Alex F' this way. And Paul Hardcastles '19' and 'The Wizard'

#micdrop
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:46 pm

The Elf wrote:The amount of noise by the third bounce was so bad that some early parts disappeared into the tape hiss.
:

You can get a plugin to replicate this these days...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:50 pm

The Elf wrote:I created my first two albums using a process of sound on sound by bouncing between a pair of ancient (even then) wax cylinder recorders.

FTFY. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby IAA » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:59 pm

And it’s something else that these days the technology available to pretty much any bedroom musician/producer/whatever is good enough to be “pro standard” and that mostly now the technology Is very rarely the problem. Back in the day using a tascam portaone, technology was very much a first order problem!
Amazing.
And now I feel even older...

Me too. :D
IAA
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 pm

and we all worked hard to get here!

They’ll never take us alive :bouncy:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)