You are here

Why have SOS taken away all the dates for online articles?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Why have SOS taken away all the dates for online articles?

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:59 pm

I long ago reached a point where I scroll to the bottom and don't even question it any more - but yeah, the date really should be up top!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:12 pm

The Elf wrote:I long ago reached a point where I scroll to the bottom and don't even question it any more - but yeah, the date really should be up top!

And the price of the item in reviews. I sometimes use price as an unofficial filter - if I can't afford it I might skip the review (unless it's a mic, of course. You can't not read about mics). It would be nice not to have to scroll to the bottom of a two page article.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:25 pm

It's very hard to please everyone... but for a small administration fee we could arrange for Paul White to come to your house at a time of your choosing and read the article to you in person, answering any questions you may have along the way while gently rubbing your shoulders* to ensure complete relaxation...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

*Other services by private negotiation
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Appreciated the offer, but it really would be sufficient with the date at the top :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:11 pm

Would we have to supply Hobnobs?

I have been a big fan of the nightly talking book but this might be better. . . . . I’d even pass on the massage in favour of dulcet tones lulling me to sleep with stories of resistance, capacitance, studio treatments and gear reviews and possibly hearing a date or two read before reading the article
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

SOS listened: we've restored the dates for online articles/searches

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:13 pm

banterbanter wrote:Until recently, if I searched a review or article on SOS there would be a date at the top so you could see if it was recent or from 8 years ago - which is helpful to know.

Why's it gone now? All articles are timeless!

Hi Gav,

It was an experiment. And when you say "timeless" that's what we were trying to achieve. ;-)

The dates were deliberately removed by the web team when we recently redesigned the 'landing pages' for Subjects. Why? To encourage clicking and reading of content that plenty of people dismiss based purely on a date, when in fact nothing in the article is out of date and is thus relevant still today.

For the same reason we removed it from the very top of the article page itself but have always had it at the end of the article text.

Same applies for Price - we used to have Pros, Cons & Summary including the price on the righthand sidebar of the desktop pages, but with Google wanting to rank sites higher based on their efficient mobile page layout/design, we had no choice but to move it to the end of articles. Yes, we could have put them at the top, but it's then too easy to dismiss a review of a $30,000 set of monitors as 'out of my budget' when it contains really useful knowledge and insight that once understood, might help someone on lesser budgets choose a better set of monitors for themselves.

But then again, maybe I am being way too optimistic and hopeful?

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 20.03.14.jpg

BTW, we have listened and restored all article dates to the blocks on each landing page, as shown in the screenshot here, and also on the main SEARCH page results (see below).

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 20.05.34.jpg
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,489 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Re: SOS listened: we've restored the dates for online articles/searches

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:31 pm

Forum Admin wrote:It was an experiment ... to encourage clicking and reading of content that plenty of people dismiss based purely on a date, when in fact nothing in the article is out of date and is thus relevant still today.

That makes perfect sense.

Forum Admin wrote:Same applies for Price - we used to have Pros, Cons & Summary including the price on the righthand sidebar of the desktop pages, but with Google wanting to rank sites higher based on their efficient mobile page layout/design, we had no choice but to move it to the end of articles. Yes, we could have put them at the top, but it's then too easy to dismiss a review of a $30,000 set of monitors as 'out of my budget' when it contains really useful knowledge and insight that once understood, might help someone on lesser budgets choose a better set of monitors for themselves.

That too makes perfect sense.

Forum Admin wrote:But then again, maybe I am being way too optimistic and hopeful?

I'm with you on that train, may it never stop!

Forum Admin wrote:BTW, we have listened and restored all article dates to the blocks on each landing page, as shown in the screenshot here, and also on the main SEARCH page results

I think I love you :beamup:

Seriously, it's a subtle thing because it applies more to some articles than to others, but the date is a significant factor sometimes. Partly for the 'Alternatives' information (which is of its time) and partly for an instinctual sense of whether or not it's worth hunting out something more recent.

Not being flippant, and I'm not asking you do it as such, but have you seen the way that Desmond implented the mu:zines search? It's not to SOS scale (yet?) but it is pretty impressive as user-options go.

Regardless... thank you for the change, and also for the info Ian :clap: :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:48 pm

We are not worthy... :mrgreen:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:09 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It's very hard to please everyone... but for a small administration fee we could arrange for Paul White to come to your house at a time of your choosing and read the article to you in person, answering any questions you may have along the way while gently rubbing your shoulders* to ensure complete relaxation...

Wow! Definitely up for that! Where do I sign up?

Regardless, thanks for the date change, I hear and understand the logic for removing the date but I do find it useful not in ignoring older items but in reading them in date order.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Previous