You are here

Ordering searches

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Ordering searches

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:41 pm

The search functionality appears to have been rewritten. Fair enough, it wasn't perfect but the sort options seem to have gone walkabout. In particular I regularly sorted search results into date order. This has gone and instead we seem to just have the option to display results for a specific year.

It is not ideal.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Re: Ordering searches

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:30 pm

I concur.
Plus I am noticing a number of articles don’t have dates at the end.
Plus one is totally guessing under which sub-heading an article may be.
Under the old system I felt pretty confident I hadn’t missed a single word in every word written for that month. Now I have no idea if I have seen everything that month covers.
Yes I’m whining but in the spirit of making sure I don’t miss anything. Sometimes 1 sentence can be that ahah moment.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:02 pm

It's where the paper version triumphs. But that's not always an obtainable option for those outside the UK.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 pm

I was a devoted mag reader until the digital darkside grabbed me. And we would get the UK version here if I remember correctly, the US edition reviews just couldn’t hold a candle to how articulate the UK reviews were.
I need to find some form of waterproof sleeve for the iPad so I can go back to heaven -
A warm bath, a good single malt and SOS! :thumbup:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:40 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:...the US edition reviews just couldn’t hold a candle to how articulate the UK reviews were.

The reviews and articles are exactly the same in both the UK and US versions of the paper mag. The level of articulation doesn't change as the print data crosses the Atlantic... ;-)

The US version is a different paper size, and has US contact details and US-sourced ads, but all the raw content is the same.

It's also worth noting that as a digital subscriber you automatically also gain access to a full PDF of the magazine each month through your >My Account > Downloads tabs at the top of the website. All the style and layout of the paper mag, but with the (alleged) planet saving benefits of being paper-free and enjoying digital search options!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:48 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It's also worth noting that as a digital subscriber you automatically also gain access to a full PDF of the magazine each month through your >My Account > Downloads tabs at the top of the website. All the style and layout of the paper mag, but with the (alleged) planet saving benefits of being paper-free and enjoying digital search options!

The full issue PDFs are great, I (allegedly) love 'em :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:21 pm

My memory is not what it should be. I have a vague memory there was a UK music mag that used North American reviewers for its North American versions. A number of reviews were by dudes who were not of the same caliber as the UK folks. Darned if I can remember the name of the mag. I remember it made me wonder about the education standards between the 2 countries.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:47 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:My memory is not what it should be. I have a vague memory there was a UK music mag that used North American reviewers for its North American versions.

Ah... sorry. I misunderstood you. And I've no idea what mag that might have been, either. Sorry.

A number of reviews were by dudes who were not of the same caliber as the UK folks.

I have noticed that the American mags do seem to go in for a lot more 'touchy-feely' subjective descriptions, rather than the more objective engineering-based approach that we generally see more over here.

But despite the prevalence of 'Music Technology' courses in higher education these days, I fear a real engineering understanding of the technology and techniques is diminishing amongst the user base quite rapidly, year on year!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:48 pm

I fear so too. I thought the first clue was how so few can spell properly without a spellchecker. Although Ottokorekt can really be a bugger if one doesn’t proof read.
I can accept that there are more than a few dim bulbs out there, I’m hoping that they are a small ratio compared to keeners who really believe that intelligence is a gift to keep feeding and sharing.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)