You are here

Phone moans

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Phone moans

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:53 am

With apologies.. I am currently only able to access the SOS forums by phone and I am having a bad time.

Firstly there is no obvious link to the forums when accessing SOS on a mobile. I know the URL but why isn't there a prominent forum link on the mobile version of the homepage?

Secondly even when on the forum there is no obvious link to my account in order to access private messages?

Maybe I'm missing something in both cases but right now I'm very frustrated on both fronts. I'm limited currently to phone-only access and participating in the forums, especially with regards to private messages is massively a pain in the backside. I still haven't found PMs at the time of writing and it's proving way harder than I think it should be. To the point I'm giving up actually.

In short I think the phone view of things needs significant improvement.

I will temper that with an acknowledgement that I don't usually respond well to frustration so if I'm at fault here any helpful input on something that should be obvious would be good. How do I access PMs from the phone?
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Re: Phone moans

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:53 am

All via the three horizontal bar icon in the SOS header. Forums and control panel access all there. Just use the + sign by the Forums entry.

I have far more frustrations with editing in Safari on the phone as the presented page format is the wrong size for standard editing functions to work properly without the page jumping all over the place.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:13 am

You can gladly pay him Tuesday, for a burger today. :P
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:36 am

I use Tapaptalk on mobile. It works ok-ish when reading, but responding to threads is buggy and responding to PMs simply doesnt work. It may tide you over, though.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:40 am

The Firefox browser on my phone has an option to request a website renders in its desktop version. This works fine for me. I also use the option for Facebook, which means I can get away without installing either the Facebook or the Messenger apps, both originally developed by Beelzebub, Mephistopheles and Lucifer Systems Inc.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:56 am

If you turn your phone into landscape orientation the layout becomes the same as a desktop display and you'll be able to navigate in the familiar way.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:58 am

Ahhh.. thanks Wonks. I didn't realise that the three-line icon was a dropdown where you could then use the + to further drill into it :headbang:

Hugh.. if I use landscape mode then the forum shrinks to only 50% of the screen width when I go back to portrait so I avoid it!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:50 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Hugh.. if I use landscape mode then the forum shrinks to only 50% of the screen width when I go back to portrait so I avoid it!

Same here.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Yes, it does... I use the pinch zoom to make it readable again... but I agree that it's a faff!

To be honest, I find using a phone to access any part of the site rather challenging and I only ever do it if I have no other viable option.

But, the number of users that access the site from their phones has been growing steadily year on year and they are now responsible for almost half of the total website page impressions, apparently.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Luke W » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Wonks wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:Hugh.. if I use landscape mode then the forum shrinks to only 50% of the screen width when I go back to portrait so I avoid it!

Same here.

Not sure if this will work for everyone, but I'm on Android and when that happens a double tap on the screens zooms everything to fit. Bit less fiddly than manually zooming.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:14 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Ahhh.. thanks Wonks. I didn't realise that the three-line icon was a dropdown where you could then use the + to further drill into it :headbang:

The hamburger icon for a menu of options has become a convention for mobile browsing. It's used a lot because there wasn't a better representation of a menu to use, and mobile users got used to the convention, but if you weren't aware of it, the icon doesn't really suggest the funtionality it represents, making it a rather poor experience and design choice - but as there wasn't anything better anyone has come up with, it's kind of stuck.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But, the number of users that access the site from their phones has been growing steadily year on year and they are now responsible for almost half of the total website page impressions, apparently.

And even more than that, Google and other search engines now only index the mobile version of a site, so they consider that the mobile version of a site is the definitive version (and likely the easiest to extract meaningful date from, and is less likely to have loads of ad/popup nonsense that otherwise plagues the web these days).

So Google sees your site the way mobile users do to...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi Eddy

Sorry it's frustrating for you. But hopefully a little easier now members have pointed out that you need to tap the 3-line 'hamburger' icon at the top-right of the black bar (highlighted on my screen shot in a yellow circle), then select the Forum if you simply wish to go directly there.

SOS Forum on iPhone screen2.png

Otherwise tapping the + symbol to the right of the FORUM red bar opens a sub-menu and if you are logged in you would see also My Control Panel option. Tap that and a Private Messages option is shown there.

SOS Forum on iPhone screen1.png

Note: my second screenshot is taken while logged out, as I have more menu options being the Forum Admin, which would confuse things more.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,638 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:38 pm

Luke W wrote:Not sure if this will work for everyone, but I'm on Android and when that happens a double tap on the screens zooms everything to fit. Bit less fiddly than manually zooming.

Hi Luke, yes that double-tap to enlarge works on iPhones too. I have poor eyesight but I have no problems using my iPhone to access the Forum posts. But I mainly read. I dislike typing on a phone full stop, so wait until I'm on my iPad (with keyboard) or desktop Mac to reply.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,638 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby OneWorld » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:53 pm

I suppose where many websites were initially designed for being viewed on a monitor, to try and get them to display on a phone screen is a perfect example of trying to fit a quart into a pint pot. I ended up buying myself a tablet with a 7" screen which made things a little more tolerable and is relatively convenient to carry about
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:40 pm

All via the three horizontal bar icon in the SOS header. Forums and control panel access all there. Just use the + sign by the Forums entry.

I went to the Plugin Alliance site after SOS’ and saw ‘Menu’ instead of the three line ‘hamburger‘ so thought I’d better come back to suggest using ‘Menu’ instead.
I must admit I got confused when I first came across the three line version on this and other websites.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Next