You are here

Scrolling News Banner

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Scrolling News Banner

Postby Dan LB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:57 pm

I’ve been meaning to post this for a long time now.....

Is it just me or does anyone else find the scrolling ‘news/info’ banner near the top of the SOS homepage changes too quickly?

I find it hard quite often to fully take in what is being displayed before it scrolls to the next item.

There is often barely enough time to read the headline and then it’s gone! NEXT!
I know there are previous and next buttons but a couple more seconds on each item would be very satisfying - enabling one to read the headline and peruse the picture (which are mostly gear closeups - often with a fair bit of info to take in).

It might be just me.............

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Re: Scrolling News Banner

Postby Folderol » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:15 pm

On some site, you can 'hold' a banner while you read it. Could this be done here? I also find it moves too quickly.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:44 am

Yes, just hover the mouse over it.

(Obviously doesn't work on mobile, as there is no mouse in that context so a "hover" isn't a thing...)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dan LB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:56 am

desmond wrote:Yes, just hover the mouse over it.

(Obviously doesn't work on mobile, as there is no mouse in that context so a "hover" isn't a thing...)

Ah yes. I mostly view SOS on my iPad

Edit: interesting..... I can get it to stop scrolling altogether if I tap and hold it for a second and then let go. I then have to manually scroll to the next item and repeat. It would be nice if the switch was just slower in the first place though, rather than the above workaround.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:07 am

In my case, I'll often visit the site and see something interesing on the banner while simultaneously clicking the forum link.

Then I'll hit the 'back' button on the browser only to return to the main page with a completely different set of scrolling banner contents that don't contain what I originally saw.

I get it's my browsing pattern, but Youtube seems to have cracked that one. If you're on your Youtube homepage and click away, the first (at least) time you come back to the homepage the 'recommended videos' content is the same as it was before you left it.

I would like to see the SOS scrolling banner remember the stuff that was in it last time you visited, though I get that might be a tough ask of the web devs.

Users eh? We're a demanding bunch! Overall I think SOS is a fine site, this is all just nitpicking.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Dan LB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:09 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:In my case, I'll often visit the site and see something interesing on the banner while simultaneously clicking the forum link.

Then I'll hit the 'back' button on the browser only to return to the main page with a completely different set of scrolling banner contents that don't contain what I originally saw :-)

I get it's my browsing pattern, but Youtube seems to have cracked that one. If you're on your Youtube homepage and click away, the first (at least) time you come back to the homepage the 'recommended videos' content is the same as it was before you left it.

I would like to see the SOS scrolling banner remember the stuff that was in it last time you visited, though I get that might be a tough ask of the web devs.

I have exactly the same issue there on SOS too and love the way YouTube does it.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:14 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Users eh? We're a demanding bunch! Overall I think SOS is a fine site, this is all just nitpicking.

Absolutely! But there’s no harm in trying :D
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:17 am

Dan LB wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:Users eh? We're a demanding bunch! Overall I think SOS is a fine site, this is all just nitpicking.

Absolutely! But there’s no harm in trying :D

No argument there! Just making it clear to the powers that be, because having met them in person they are surprisingly human :D
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:02 am

Apparently they have removable fangs and have taken lessons in appearing human. :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:10 am

And they base themselves in the fens, so that no-one remarks on the extra fingers (and other appendages).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby BJG145 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:50 am

Dan LB wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else find the scrolling ‘news/info’ banner near the top of the SOS homepage changes too quickly? I find it hard quite often to fully take in what is being displayed before it scrolls to the next item.

+1
BJG145
Jedi Poster