You are here

Good stuff Sam and Paul!

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Good stuff Sam and Paul!

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:59 am

Just read this month's leader. Enjoy the gradual slide into retirement Paul, and congratulations on the new job Sam.
Looking forward to more of the same. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Good stuff Sam and Paul!

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:16 pm

Yes indeedy - Paul deserves a rest after 30 years at the helm ;)

Welcome to and congratulations on your new role Sam! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:34 pm

What Paul has contributed to the music tech sector is impossible to quantify, only acknowledged in it's significance.

Paul has literally written *entire magazines* worth of content from scratch in the time more normal folks would take to write an article or two. If I look at the author stats on mu:zines, Paul is already the author sitting at the top of the article count chart - and I've barely got started with Home & Studio Recording (only 100 more issues of those to add(!)) alone... (let alone the 25+ more years of Sound On Sound *after* all that!)

How many people in home studios across the land in the past few decades have been aided and shaped to some degree by Paul's knowledge and ability to communicate? Probably *most* of them...

Thank you, and :raise a glass: :clap:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:43 pm

Yes, yes yes. Well said desmond. :raise a glass: :clap:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:51 pm

Watch out Paul. It's a trap! The instant you fully retire you find you have no free time at all :o :crazy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Agreed. Paul's books, too, are genuinely authoritative reference works.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby awjoe » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:30 pm

A few years after I got into SOS, I was checking on something in a book about mics that I'd bought years earlier and was surprised (well, not surprised, actually) to notice that Paul White had written it. I was learning from him years before I found this place. :clap:
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Postby MOF » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Just read this month's leader. Enjoy the gradual slide into retirement Paul, and congratulations on the new job Sam.
Looking forward to more of the same. :)

Hear hear, I’ve been buying SOS since issue one, where have those thirty years gone to?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Well, hearty congratulations all round!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Does this mean we'll see Paul more on the forums? :lol:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Luke W » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Congratulations to both :clap:
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Hi and thanks for the kind words from everyone. While I'm not planning to retire anytime soon it is appropriate that Sam takes over the Chief's job as he already does a lot of the organising and so is well placed to do it. My title as Executive Editor was bestowed, largely, for being at Sound On Sound for 29 years without being dead yet and though I'm getting a little more free time to work on my Cydonia Collective music, I'll still be doing reviews, techniques and on-line features and who knows — if this lockdown ever ends there may be some more Studio SOS jobs in the pipeline. Somebody asked if this meant I'd be seen more on the forums, but I know how much of your life such things can take up so I may venture forth gently. I'm also still building guitars I don't need and helping out with some charity support mixing and mastering jobs. Thanks for supporting the mag and please be nice to Sam as he deserves it.

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:20 pm

:thumbup: :clap:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:27 pm

What Desmond said ^^^ ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:30 pm

Thanks everyone!

It's an amazing honour and a privilege to step into Paul's shoes, and I'm going to do my absolute best not to overload him with work -- but it's a huge reassurance to know that he's still at the other end of the phone!
Sam Inglis

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:31 pm

PaulWhiteSOS wrote:Hi and thanks for the kind words from everyone. While I'm not planning to retire anytime soon it is appropriate that Sam takes over the Chief's job as he already does a lot of the organising and so is well placed to do it. My title as Executive Editor was bestowed, largely, for being at Sound On Sound for 29 years without being dead yet and though I'm getting a little more free time to work on my Cydonia Collective music, I'll still be doing reviews, techniques and on-line features and who knows — if this lockdown ever ends there may be some more Studio SOS jobs in the pipeline. Somebody asked if this meant I'd be seen more on the forums, but I know how much of your life such things can take up so I may venture forth gently. I'm also still building guitars I don't need and helping out with some charity support mixing and mastering jobs. Thanks for supporting the mag and please be nice to Sam as he deserves it.

You've done an incredible job Paul. From a community point of view I've not really noticed your absence on the forums because you've interacted with us as effectively through the leaders and 3,872* articles you've written for the magazine.

I also have certain other magazines from the 90s in which your name appears in one context or another.

Also, for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure, the Cydonia Collective is beautiful work and I'm grateful to Eddie for introducing me to it a while back.

Given someone had to step up, I was also delighted to see Sam's name pop up. My sincere congratulations to you both and I look forward greatly to seeing what comes next.

PS: Welcome to the forums :tongue:

* ... ish. Trust me on that. No need to double check. No, really. Oh, you did? Nuts!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Next