You are here

API The Box 2

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

API The Box 2

Postby ef37a » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:10 pm

I shall probably be told in no uncertain terms "not the same thing at ALL!" but...

The April review of the SSL SiX threw up the comment "shame there is no digital connection".
I have to as the same of The Box 2. Surely at the very least a 24 bit 48kHz output of the two metered channels could have been provided?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: API The Box 2

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:13 am

Possibly... But API is a proudly all-analogue console company. People who are prepared to spend this kind of money on a high-end digital console tend to be quite picky about what converters or interfaces they want to use.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:00 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Possibly... But API is a proudly all-analogue console company. People who are prepared to spend this kind of money on a high-end digital console tend to be quite picky about what converters or interfaces they want to use.

Ooo! A gentler response than I expected Hugh! I am sure you are right but perhaps at least a S/PDIF feed to a PC just as a scratch 'logging' track pair?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:18 am

ef37a wrote:I am sure you are right but perhaps at least a S/PDIF feed to a PC just as a scratch 'logging' track pair?

I can't imagine their mailbox will be overflowing with requests for that.
Besides, if your computer can accept SPDIF, surely it'll more than likely be capable of an analogue signal?
And they did do it, I'd maybe 44.1kHz would be more useful than 48kHz.

ef37a wrote:Ooo! A gentler response than I expected Hugh!
This is slightly disturbing to me!
I respect your knowledge on various electronic topics, and I've learnt a lot from your posts.
But, I do wonder if you sometimes post things like this just to try to rile people?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ef37a » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:39 am

Kwackman wrote:
ef37a wrote:I am sure you are right but perhaps at least a S/PDIF feed to a PC just as a scratch 'logging' track pair?

I can't imagine their mailbox will be overflowing with requests for that.
Besides, if your computer can accept SPDIF, surely it'll more than likely be capable of an analogue signal?
And they did do it, I'd maybe 44.1kHz would be more useful than 48kHz.

ef37a wrote:Ooo! A gentler response than I expected Hugh!
This is slightly disturbing to me!
I respect your knowledge on various electronic topics, and I've learnt a lot from your posts.
But, I do wonder if you sometimes post things like this just to try to rile people?

Not at all Mr K, it is never my intention to "rile" anybody. I was prepared for a rather more robust counter from Hugh is all. I was just struck by the difference between the debate about 'digital' for the SiX and the lack of any for the Box2? (so far)

I specifically said "48k" because that is the rate used for video and of course works for audio just as well on anything else.

It would not be a completely trivial matter to feed the neg 10'ish inputs of a laptop from a rip snorting pro levels mixer. A USB port is a doddle.

Can I once again emphasize that my posts might sometimes be ill thought out, but never in any way abusive AFAIK and IF I have given even the slightest impression of that here I apologize.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:21 am

ef37a wrote:Not at all Mr K, it is never my intention to "rile" anybody.

Not even slightly riled over here! I'm well used to Dave's ways now... :-D His comments make me smile -- and I like it if I can surprise him now and again! :lol:

I was just struck by the difference between the debate about 'digital' for the SiX and the lack of any for the Box2? (so far)

They are just such different products.

The SiX is the kind of thing that can be put in a bag and carried around with a laptop, and it could have made a fabulous all-in-one high-end interface with genuinely useful input facilities and decent monitoring. It just seemed like a great opportunity lost.

The Box2, on the other hand, is a (two-person lift of a) beast, that is clearly only intended for use in a proper studio context. It is also intended for multitrack recording and mixing, so an 8x8 multichannel interface is required as an absolute minimium, and ideally something with at least eight or more inputs and over 16 outputs to really make any investment in the thing worthwhile.

A two-channel digital interface bolted on the back really isn't going to help anyone...

And whereas SSL have been making various digital interfaces for their digital consoles and outboard for years, so the expertise was available in-house, API have never done anything digital (apart from bolting on the odd bit of fader automation). They just don't make interfaces (yet); it's not what they do -- and why should they when they totally excel at what they do and there are plenty of other companies that make interfaces.

So no, I don't think it would have been a valid criticism of API for not adding digital interfacing, whereas I do think it was a valid comment in the context of the (very different) SSL product.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Kwackman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:Not at all Mr K, it is never my intention to "rile" anybody.

Not even slightly riled over here! I'm well used to Dave's ways now... :-D His comments make me smile -- and I like it if I can surprise him now and again! :lol:

OK, I got that wrong then! :thumbup:
As you were.....
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby CS70 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:56 pm

ef37a wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Possibly... But API is a proudly all-analogue console company. People who are prepared to spend this kind of money on a high-end digital console tend to be quite picky about what converters or interfaces they want to use.

Ooo! A gentler response than I expected Hugh! I am sure you are right but perhaps at least a S/PDIF feed to a PC just as a scratch 'logging' track pair?

Dave.

I guess this is the key, if you put down that money for a console, you will definitely want to be selective of your converters. And to get a "scratch" S/PDIF out you obviously need internal converters - which API being API would have to be quite non-scratch quality wise and add significantly to the cost, only to be mostly unused. Perhaps as an option card..

Short cable runs from the API outs to your Crane Song HEDD Quantum will fix you in a minute. Because if you have the API, you sure as heck have the Crane or similar... :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page