You are here

Not a criticism, just a question ...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Not a criticism, just a question ...

Postby Forum Admin » Wed May 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:As it has said on the cover under the title for as long as I can remember: ...the world's premier audio recording technology magazine.

Not intending to embarrass you here Hugh, but the current strapline is above the mag title and it says "The World's Best Recording Technology Magazine". ;-)

If you glance at the Muzines site, and later 1990s mags, the strapline has evolved over time and varied from "Music Technology Magazine" to "Music Recording Technology Magazine"... but we've always covered computers, and SOS was the first magazine to introduce monthly software application Tips & Techniques columns, ie. Steinberg Pro-24 back in the day.

We have featured Music PCs on the cover -- Carillon being a case in point -- but usually not local UK builds, as the cover is typically chosen to work on our UK/EU/World edition and our North America edition.

The old Mac Pro 'cheesegrater' became a de facto machine in most pro studios worldwide, many post-pro studios too, and was a staple in many project studios and other market sectors. Whilst SOS had no control over Apple's pricing strategy (as if!!) for this new Mac Pro, there is undeniable interest in its replacement, and whether the time has come for pros to go PC after all. I believe Mark Wherry's review provides sufficient in-depth information to make a choice. And as Sam stated earlier, ours is probably the only in-depth written review from a musician/audio pro perspective.

There was also a nod to selling a few extra copies from Mac enthusiasts picking up a copy by intent or accident, too. ;-)

cheers,
Ian
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed May 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Not intending to embarrass you here Hugh, but the current strapline is above the mag title and it says "The World's Best Recording Technology Magazine". ;-)

:oops: Sorry -- as I didn't have a magazine to hand I cut'n'pasted the phrase from the https://www.soundonsound.com/about-sos web page assuming there'd be consistency in the marketing ... ;)

Welcome to Sound On Sound, the world's premier audio recording technology magazine.

But the 'technology' aspect was my point, and at least that's been a consistent theme across the magazine's history.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Forum Admin » Wed May 06, 2020 4:40 pm

We like to keep the marketing message flexible. ;-) :D
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed May 06, 2020 4:45 pm

:thumbup: :clap: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Johnsy » Tue May 12, 2020 9:23 am

Arpangel wrote:
Paying all that money for a Pro and having to dive behind would cheese me off a bit.

It would really grate with me too.
Johnsy
Regular

Previous