You are here

Hugh's Studio SOS

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Hugh's studio SOS

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 22, 2020 12:32 pm

Chet Leeway wrote:Slightly odd, but optimal for smuggling in audio gear. Delivery through window, straight into rack, better half blissfully unaware.

The window is semi-sealed because of the acoustic deamp screen... but the proximity of studio door to front door does make it quite easy to surreptitiously smuggle in new toys... especially since magazine-related toys are always coming and going via the hall way anyway! :shh: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri May 22, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks again Hugh, for another fab article, great to see your learning in action. Just in time for me to work on mine, I need that window thing too. Great also to see a practical room that has ancient gear in it, still working for its living and being enjoyed. Looking forward to the additional photos :)
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 22, 2020 1:32 pm

A very good read, and a fascinating glimpse into Hugh's working environment, especially given tales of 'the unfinished studio revamp' echoing round for quite some time now!

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:Great also to see a practical room that has ancient gear in it, still working for its living and being enjoyed.

Indeed. Some of his equipment is quite vintage too ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Oi! :protest: I'm not as old as some around here.... :P
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Martin Walker » Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm

Just to echo my enjoyment of this feature - beautifully written with lots of helpful detail, and I loved the way Hugh occasionally adapted his plans as he went along (re-siting the keyboards on the left for instance). I too look forward to the extra photos.

Bravo that man! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Re: Hugh's Studio SOS

Postby MOF » Fri May 22, 2020 4:51 pm

the proximity of studio door to front door does make it quite easy to surreptitiously smuggle in new toys... especially since magazine-related toys are always coming and going via the hall way anyway! :shh: :lol:

Until the joint bank account statement arrives. :lol:

I enjoyed the article too. I kept putting off sorting out acoustics and relied on good quality headphones, thinking I’d move to a larger house.
I put in bass traps, also in three corners, a few years ago to supplement my acoustic tiles that I’ve had for a number of years. I still have issues with upper mid harshness though. Maybe time to have treatment on the ceiling and replace some absorbers with diffusers.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 pm

MOF wrote:I put in bass traps, also in three corners, a few years ago to supplement my acoustic tiles that I’ve had for a number of years. I still have issues with upper mid harshness though. Maybe time to have treatment on the ceiling and replace some absorbers with diffusers.

Hi MOF!

Upper-mids are normally easily dealt with using absorbers - even 1-inch thick slabs might be enough if placed in the best position, and I certainly wouldn't replace any of your existing absorbers with diffusion.

Upper-mid harshness suggests to me some nasty reflections off nearby objects - look to your mirror points or your desk, and a ceiling cloud can make a huge difference if they are coming from above (it certainly did in my small studio).

Right, back to Hugh's lovely studio :)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MOF » Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Upper-mids are normally easily dealt with using absorbers - even 1-inch thick slabs might be enough if placed in the best position, and I certainly wouldn't replace any of your existing absorbers with diffusion.

Upper-mid harshness suggests to me some nasty reflections off nearby objects - look to your mirror points or your desk, and a ceiling cloud can make a huge difference if they are coming from above (it certainly did in my small studio).

Thank you Martin, I wondered if I'd overdone the absorbers as I've got also got a carpet (so I wasn't sure about a ceiling cloud), and curtains permanently covering the window as well.
I've experimented with putting towels over the iMac screen and the desk where it sits and that helped.
Currently the speakers are on foam supports on the raisable desk but I might put them back on stands and then put foam between them and the back of the iMac.
The wall behind me is where book cases with CDs magazines and books are randomly kept, a sort of diffuser I guess. I'll try hanging duvets over them some time.
I'm happy listening on open backed headphones but can't judge track panning and vocal levels very well, that's where the speakers come in.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 23, 2020 2:59 pm

Some Extra pics for anyone vaguely interested:

1 – General view of studio desk end, with Yamaha DM1000 console shelf pulled out.
_H8A4231.jpg

2 – Close up of console rack (bay 4) containing console patchbay, MOTU MIDI interface, Coleman 6-channel A/B switcher, and Quad amp (which will power surround speakers when I get around to installing them)
_H8A4232.jpg

3 – General view of the studio desk end.
_H8A4234.jpg

4 – Rack bays 1 and 2, computer hung under desk, and my bass.
_H8A4235.jpg

5 – Rack bays 1, 2 and 3, The middle bay (2) is mostly patchbays, with the Crookwood mastering console electronics at the bottom. My Nagra VI recorder was dumped on the top, alongside an old Linn Axis turntable. The right hand bay (3) contains the digital master clocking and tape machine interfacing.
_H8A4236.jpg

More to follow!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 23, 2020 3:02 pm

6 – View of bay 3 and the Studer A807 on a trolley. In the base of bay 3 is a DAB radio tuner.
_H8A4237.jpg

7 – Cloe up of the clocking arrangements comprising a Drawmer M-clock and an Aardvark Ardsync II, with a dedicated BNC patchbay.
_H8A4240.jpg

8 – Detail of the base of bay 3. I use the old Apogee PSX1000 to digitise the tape recorders when necessary, and the SSL X-Patch handles all the signal routing for the tape machines and Dolby units.
_H8A4241.jpg

9 – Another view of Bay 1 which contains mic preamps, effects units and CD machines, with a Z-Sys digital router and API Lunchbox at the top within easy reach.
_H8A4243.jpg

10 – Cable corner! The shelf at the top carries the broadband modem and routers.
_H8A4244.jpg

And still more to come...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 23, 2020 3:05 pm

11 – The Cloud, complete with coloured mood uplighting.
_H8A4247.jpg

12 – Left hand side of the desk. DK Technologies meter above a traditional BBC-style dual twin-PPM. The desk racking holds a patch panel for review gear, and a mains switcher which powers just the bits of the studio I require at any time.
_H8A4248.jpg

13 – Crookwood mastering Console controller. The left panel controls the levels in and out of the insert chain, as well as the MS matrix. The middle panel handles monitor and transfer source selections, and selects and orders the analogue and digital inserts. The right panel is the monitoring controller.
_H8A4249.jpg

14 – Right hand desk carries my bellowed Drawmer Masterflow professor and a Lexicon reverb. Separate phones for business and home line.
_H8A4250.jpg

15 – Close up of rack under Yamaha console shelf. The patch bay is mostly concerned with the console I/O and the Coleman A/B switcher.
_H8A4252.jpg

16 – Bay 2 patch bay detail. I have dedicated breakout panels for both analogue and digital AES59 connections (the D-sub ends are on flying cables I can easily plug into review gear). The TRS patch bay carries the outputs of the mic preamps and I/O for most of the gear in the bays on either side, as well as some of the Crookwood I/O. I’m currently using the XLR patch bay that came with the Crookwood, but I will rewire all that through another TRS patchbay at some point to free up space in the rack.
_H8A4254.jpg

And that's yer lot... unless anyone wants to see anything else!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 23, 2020 3:19 pm

And some more build in progress pics, feature my site manager Miss Wibble, and Max the Incredible doing all the work (as bloody usual...)
_H8A4111.jpg

_H8A4114.jpg

_H8A4115.jpg

_H8A4120.jpg

_H8A4122.jpg

_H8A4127.jpg

_H8A4137.jpg
Hugh Robjohns

Postby MOF » Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm

And that's yer lot... unless anyone wants to see anything else!
I want to see the bellows for the Drawmer, I presume they’re in a separate machine room. :lol:
Only joking, looks fantastic.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 23, 2020 3:25 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:And that's yer lot... unless anyone wants to see anything else!
Just the precise details of any security arrangements and your proposed whereabouts over the next couple of weeks... ?
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Well, you'd need to get past the neighbours first, then the moat, then the portculis, then the lethal hound-cum-site supervisor, then the burglar alarm... as for our movements... locked in for the foreseeable! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

PreviousNext