You are here

Hugh's Studio SOS

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Hugh's Studio SOS

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 24, 2020 7:04 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Are we also seeing a chair upgrade to the Aeron? An early construction photo would suggest so.

You are.

I previously had a Mirra from the same company, and that did me very well for 12 years or more. But it wouldn't go high enough for the new desk, so it was recycled to a colleague and replaced with an Aeron.

I specified the Aeron with a high-lift pillar to ensure a sensible working height for a computer keyboard on the desk, and it works very well. It goes about 2.5 inches higher than the Mirra which makes all the difference! Naturally, it's just as comfortable and adjustable as the Mirra, if not more so.

So although the aeron chairs are f-ing expensive, they do last for ever, are easily serviced if ever needed, and they are phenomenally comfortable. And as I spend a third of most days in the chair, it is easily well worth it.... This one should see me out of my working days. :think:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Nerses » Sun May 24, 2020 10:33 pm

Thanks a lot for that article, I had long wondered how your setup looks!
What struck me in your room is that there's so few cables in sight, but you (like probably every home studio owner) don't have these fancy floors that have cabling hidden underneath them.
I would also REALLY have liked to see how you cabled up all those patchbays in this massive triple rack. Is it on wheels?
I have spent way too many hours hunched in quite uncomfortable positions with a headlamp behind racks or tables, swearing, and the floor area behind my desk is filled with semitangled cables.
I I have an electrically height-adjustable desk that I got used after I had a discus hernia. I built two 8U racks that have my speakers on top of them with the connecting shelf in between housing my screen and some space for small gear, and my Nord Modular G2 that is also my master keyboard.
Nerses
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 24, 2020 11:03 pm

Nerses wrote:What struck me in your room is that there's so few cables in sight, but you (like probably every home studio owner) don't have these fancy floors that have cabling hidden underneath them.

I hate untidy cabling snaking all over the floor! Probably a hangover from my BBC days again...

So when I need to plug in review gear, I can either do it directly into the patch panel on the desk (there's MIDI in and out, network and USB connections, wordclock, stereo analogue and AES3 digital I/O, and four tie-lines to the middle rack bay), or I can place it on the big rack and plumb it into the middle bay where I have more of all of the desk interfaces, plus ADAT optical and analogue and digital AES59 D-subs. The I/O for the Audio Precision test set and a digital oscilloscope are also there.

I would also REALLY have liked to see how you cabled up all those patchbays in this massive triple rack. Is it on wheels?

Not on wheels, as that would have made it too high. But it is on heavy-duty Teflon pads which slide relatively easily on the laminate floor. The cabling in the back of the bays is not as structured as it could have been, mostly because I anticipate changing things around once or twice a year and so wanted a high degree of flexibility. But there are basically three cable looms held together with Velcro wraps that run from behind the rack around to the desk and then on to the broadband shelf in the corner and through to the room next door where the NAS servers and printer are.

One loom comrpises the individual mains supplies, plus network, USB, RF, and word clock cables (there are powered USB hubs in bay 3 and behind the desk patchbay) , and the other two looms combine balanced analogue and digital feeds between the two desk racks and the patchbay under the desk.

The keyboard audio feeds in and out are wired into a 12-way multicore that runs into an ART T8 isolating transformer box and a couple of other two-channel boxes behind the Yamaha rack, to provide balanced earth-free instrument feeds that go into the mixer via the patchbay. The mixer feeds the ADAT input of the RME card in the computer with individual isolated recording feeds, and also provides convenient monitoring and effects regardless of whether the computer is running. There's also another velcro'd loom from the desk to the keyboards for MIDI and USB connections.

The most important aspect of all these looms is that every single cable is labelled at both ends, so that reconfiguring or fault-finding is very straightforward.

I have spent way too many hours hunched in quite uncomfortable positions with a headlamp behind racks or tables, swearing, and the floor area behind my desk is filled with semitangled cables.

Yep. Been there, done that! The whole design of my setup was focused on not needing to rummage in the back of anything (unless re-equipping). Everything I'm ever likely to need to access is available on a patchbay!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Mon May 25, 2020 12:01 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Tomás Mulcahy wrote:Hugh is that a Maplin soldering station? Could you be so kind as to recommend a source of replacement tips?

No, it came from CPC. It's a Duratool 3327 and a range of replacement tips and other spares are available.

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/zd-931-89-3106/soldering-station-esd-bs-plug/dp/SD01120
Thank you!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby alanbcooper01 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:42 pm

Hi Hugh, I really enjoyed the article, my room is almost the same dimensions and similar left hand side Nord, synth setup really struck a chord. My corner bass traps are similar, but using RWA 45 in some simple wood frames, cloth covered at 45 deg across the corner of the room. I want to try the mass loaded vinyl solution you describe because I still get significant bass reduction at my listening point. Please can you tell me the spec of the mass loaded vinyl, I looked online and there are many varieties, my guess is 2mm thick would be right but I have no science behind that hunch.
Additionally, I’d be interested in your view of how much the insulation behind the vinyl adds to the bass trap effectiveness.
Thanks.
alanbcooper01
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:51 pm

I'm away on holiday right now, but I'll measure an offcut when I return. The rear corner bass trap doesn't have the limp mass; it just relies on the corner mineral wool wedges and the OC703 front panel.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby alanbcooper01 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:16 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm away on holiday right now, but I'll measure an offcut when I return. The rear corner bass trap doesn't have the limp mass; it just relies on the corner mineral wool wedges and the OC703 front panel.
Much appreciated Hugh, thanks. Look forward to hearing back from you.
Alan
alanbcooper01
New here

Previous