You are here

Changed font on tablet edition....for a bit

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Changed font on tablet edition....for a bit

Postby Wease » Fri May 22, 2020 5:30 pm

It did confuse me....I am getting older....but there is a subtle font change for the first 3 reviews on the tablet edition

And.....these 3 reviews are different...shorter....and usually not seen at the front of the issue.

And..... layout is new

Is this the new head's doing?...been fiddling with the printer setting again??

As for a comment which hasn’t been asked for, but I feel strangely compelled to make...I’m not sure if I do like it...maybe I don’t....

Anyway.....love the subtle subconscious mind games and new testing of new fonts procedure!

Yeah...I don’t think I like it.......but then again....

Love wease
Wease
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Re: Changed font on tablet edition....for a bit

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Wease wrote:And.....these 3 reviews are different...shorter....and usually not seen at the front of the issue.

I can't comment on the typeface, but the new shorter review format is a new experiment. Thank you for noticing! :D

Is this the new heads doing?

Yes... let's blame it on Sam. :lol:

Yeah...I don’t think I like it.......but then again....

It'll grow on you... :think:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby IAA » Fri May 22, 2020 6:23 pm

Well I noticed it too, but just thought it was a “blip”. And to be contrary, I liked those short reviews - as long as you don’t go giving Gordon such a limit he moans about the space you give him now - and I wouldn’t want him feeling constrained....,.. :bouncy: :bouncy:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 pm

Oh the layout and typography is all over the place, I thought bless him, he's having fun.

;) :thumbup:

(Seriously, nice to have a mini makeover.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Ramirez » Fri May 22, 2020 8:56 pm

The typeface is different for those short reviews in the print edition as well.

I was a bit scared that all the reviews were going to be like that if I’m honest...! But things soon settled.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Forum Admin » Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 am

Well spotted, Wease. But did you spot what those short reviews have replaced yet?

That's right... News. We're starting to implement some of the requests garnered from our recent Reader Survey that we felt had merit. Shorter reviews for one, and not publishing news that's well out of date by the time it gets in print and in readers' hands and which has already been published on our website many weeks before. Most readers didn't see much value in print [old] 'news'.

That frees up 4 or 5 magazine pages, allowing us to cover more products. And since Reviews was the top reason survey respondents gave for why they buy the mag/subscribe, it kinda made sense to make the change. It also frees up our News Editor's time from having to stop and proof-read print News layouts for the UK and North America editions. This allows him time to write more daily news for the website, and we can see from Google Analytics that the decision to create more online news content is paying off. Encouraging. It was cited in Reader Survey suggestions as one area SOS should improve; so we have.

So Sam's not to blame for these changes -- he's already busy implementing another reader wish-list item: more videos on our YouTube channel (see his recent UA LUNA: First Look video and his Top 10 Boring Things... video -- and there will be plenty more from a range of contributors over the months to come).

We were working on SOS Podcasts already before the Survey results came in, but it was satisfying to see that our readership voted and gave them their blessing as a new format they'd like SOS to supply. See www.soundonsound.com/podcasts

SOS won't be ditching our valued long-form in-depth Reviews, of course, but another request from readers was for the print mag to get a visual freshen up. We all agreed and our upcoming 35th Anniversary November issue will see the full design changes. These extra one-pager Reviews are merely the first implementation.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,325 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby EddyHame » Sun May 31, 2020 3:27 pm

Good idea regards the news pages change. The new typeface may take a little while to get used to, seems a little lighter than the previous choice.

I must say though that I do find the variable column widths rather distracting and did not enjoy that part of the changes so I do hope that will be tweaked along the way.

Thanks and keep up the excellent work.
EddyHame

Postby Wease » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:37 pm

Ahhh!....some changes made to font size and spacing in new issue....looking easier on the eye and more connected to the rest of the magazine.

Nice

Love
Wease :bouncy:
Wease
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes