You are here

Soldering.

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Soldering.

Postby ef37a » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:13 pm

I too share Robin Vincent's passion for soldering. I was never happier than when soldering, sleeving and shrinking a stack of cables and connectors.

Can I just ask though? Robin: "As I breathe the fumes..." I hope you were just waxing lyrical?

I was told that fume from Lead free solder is actually more harmful than the old 60/40 stuff and that by visiting Weller techs.

Oh yes! Surface mount can be done, just demands patience and a great deal of concentration, plus of course some serious magnification!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Soldering.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:24 pm

I think the concern with Pb-free is that since the soldering iron tip temperature has to be higher for lead-free solders, there is a greater chance of creating metal vapours than there was for leaded solder. And metal vapours really aren't good to inhale!

The greatest risk element, though, is undoubtedly the flux (rosin) fumes which are thought potentially to cause 'occupational asthma'. https://www.hse.gov.uk/lung-disease/electronics-soldering.htm

However, much as I take this advice seriously, in all my years I can honestly say I've never come across any professional or amateur electronics technician who has suffered 'occupational asthma', or indeed any breathing issue related in any way to soldering. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has?

That said, it is obviously common sense to solder in a well-ventilated space, only over short durations, and to avoid breathing in the fumes!

My father actually taught me to breathe out gently while soldering. Not only does it keep the fumes out of the eyes and lungs, it also steadies the hand... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Yes Hugh, I soldered every working day for a good 35 years without any form of fume extraction and I do not have any health problem*.

That was Lead/Tin of course and today's nervous nellies are all fired up about Lead but we did not take a lot of notice. Provided people wash hands after the job and do not eat, drink or smoke whilst soldering they should be fine. When I was in the telly trade we did all three!

*Tiny caveat? I now have anemia and am on 3 Ferrous Fumarate tablets a day. I have had the lovely experience of a camera looking both ways but they cannot find a reason for the blood loss. My own research has found out that anemia can be caused by the long term ingestion of Lead!
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:02 pm

I now have anemia and am on 3 Ferrous Fumarate tablets a day...My own research has found out that anemia can be caused by the long term ingestion of Lead!
I read that the best way to stock up on iron is liver and/or water cress since the iron is already in organic form and readily absorbed by the body.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:01 pm

MOF wrote:
I now have anemia and am on 3 Ferrous Fumarate tablets a day...My own research has found out that anemia can be caused by the long term ingestion of Lead!
I read that the best way to stock up on iron is liver and/or water cress since the iron is already in organic form and readily absorbed by the body.

Not fond of liver and I am trying to limit my red meat intake for both possible health reasons and the planet.

I also understand that although certain vegetables have a high iron content is is not of a form easily assimilated by the body? I think vegans often have a secret stash of pills like mine!

I do eat a LOT of broccoli but that is for the benefit of the dexter mince. I also force down the odd tomato.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:28 pm

I too, find soldering very relaxing, although, nowadays I always wear head magnification, probably because I have used loupes/microscopes for decades at work and am so accustomed to it.

The nasty fumes are when removing the enamel cover from enameled copper wire, at 400 degrees, or so, which I do a lot, making RF transformers on toroids. There are a variety of polyvinyls used as the enamel covering: best to have a small fan directing the fumes away!
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby wireman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:20 pm

I'm still using lead solder that I purchased years ago.

What I really want is a Mantis Microscope but they are pretty expensive and take up a lot of room.
wireman
Regular

Postby Folderol » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:53 pm

Something like 25 years ago I ordered a 500g reel of 60/40 solder from RS. They actually sent two in separate deliveries but only charged me for one. I rang them up about it and the lady on the phone said there was only a record on one being sent, then put me on hold for a while, when she came back on she was almost laughing, and said she'd been told that returning it would just create problems with the inventory, so keep it.

The thing is, after all this time, I've still got about 3/4 of the first reel, so I don't think I'll ever have to buy a reel again :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby MOF » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:54 pm

I also understand that although certain vegetables have a high iron content is is not of a form easily assimilated by the body
The exact opposite of what this article was saying. They also said that the added iron in a lot of vitamin supplements was not much better than rust i.e. not readily absorbable. I’m not saying that’s the case with what you’ve been prescribed.
Water cress and liver have quite a strong taste, maybe because of all that iron.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:01 pm

MOF wrote:
I also understand that although certain vegetables have a high iron content is is not of a form easily assimilated by the body
The exact opposite of what this article was saying. They also said that the added iron in a lot of vitamin supplements was not much better than rust i.e. not readily absorbable. I’m not saying that’s the case with what you’ve been prescribed.
Water cress and liver have quite a strong taste, maybe because of all that iron.

Watercress contains 2.2mg of iron per 100g. I am on 210mg three times a day. That would be a heck of a lot of cress! And in any case only few percent of the iron in vegetable matter gets absorbed.

This> https://www.parentingscience.com/iron-absorption.html gives some good guidance.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:17 pm

This> https://www.parentingscience.com/iron-a ... ption.html gives some good guidance.
Thanks Dave, You obviously have had to do some research out of necessity, An interesting article even though I don’t have iron deficiency.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:37 am

I was low in iron a few months back after a blood test. I started taking the Floradix liquid. Recent tests show I’m back where I should be so have discontinued the liquid. I’m curious about the next blood test but am hesitant to go to any place to get a test. Curious times, these.
As for soldering, I learned some great tips in these forums and look forward to any chance to solder now - gently exhaling! It’s almost like yoga, inhale, prepare your materials, exhale, and solder!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:22 pm

The only soldering I do now is making up my own cables. One I was particularly proud of was a minute three pin plug for my mixer's timecode in and out. The pins were so close to each other that I couldn't stop solder flowing across them, I did a bit of lateral thinking and slotted a piece of paper between them so that the solder couldn't move across and secured one wire at a time to each pin.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby wireman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:02 pm

My second-to-last project that involved soldering was an epic fail (as they say nowadays). More a problem with the design than the soldering. If anyone really wants a laugh I can share the details.
wireman
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:08 pm

But of course...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next