You are here

How useful are DAW-specific sections?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:52 pm

This may be heresy, but following the recent SOS reshuffle (and thanks for another great issue, I'm enjoying the new format) I was wondering what people generally felt about these? Personally I don't use any of these DAWs, so for me it's all skipped pages. But even for someone who uses one of them, they're not likely to be using any of the others. Perhaps either generic articles, or features covering a greater spectrum of software, might be of wider interest...? Just a thought...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Kwackman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:05 pm

Despite being a Cubase user, I have a peek at the other DAW columns too.
I pick up things that are useful.
In the Logic section a while back, there was an article on how to build a "sheen" reverb. I wasn't even sure what a sheen reverb was til I read that, and it wasn't hard to create the same thing in Cubase. That was helpful.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:18 pm

I'm a Reaper user and for some time didn't think (duh!) to look at other programme sections except to idly explore.

There was an article on multi-take comping in one or other of the sections where the penny finally dropped that lots of concepts and techniques are pretty universal. Obvious once you think about it.

There have been cross-platform articles which explore a concept then describe the various ways to achieve a particular effect and I find them the most useful.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:51 pm

I tend to read all of them unless they're about using a specific new included plugin.
Anything conceptual can probably be translated into a different DAW and frequently you'll find an equivalent plugin for some of the more focused articles.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Chet Leeway » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:35 pm

I generelly skip them since I don't use any of the featured DAWs. Sometimes if there's a technique I'm particularly interested in I may read it, but once it gets too DAW specific, it all becomes a bit ... hypothetical for me.

I'd suggest doing it the other way around: pick a technique and show how it can be done in different DAWs, including others than the usual suspects if they excel at that particular thing or have an interesting implementation.
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:45 pm

Kwackman wrote:In the Logic section a while back, there was an article on how to build a "sheen" reverb. I wasn't even sure what a sheen reverb was til I read that, and it wasn't hard to create the same thing in Cubase. That was helpful.

Case in point. The Logic article was in May 2019 and I skipped it. But there's a great general article on this subject in the current issue which I read with interest.

This month's Logic article is about double-tracking, and I'm sure there's some great info in there, but a lot of non-Logic users probably aren't going to read it because it's based on things like "Logic's Direction Mixer". I haven't got the energy to try and distil that wisdom and work out how to apply it in other environments. Wouldn't it be more sensible to give the subject wider appeal with the "Shimmer and Shine" treatment...?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:01 pm

I don't use any of the featured DAWs
What do you use for recording?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:01 pm

This is a noble discussion, but as always, the problem with approaching multi-DAW subjects is that whoever takes on the challenge has to have access to and experience with all the DAWs in question, in order to explain how to implement the new techniques across them all. Moreover, since Logic is now only available for Mac, and undoubtedly there are still DAWs only available for PC, the writer would also have to use both Macs and PCs.

It's also highly likely that a clever technique on one DAW would require a different approach on another one to achieve the same end, so the best you could hope for is to write a generic feature describing the technique and then leave it to the reader to apply this in his or her own DAW.

On the other hand, over the years there have also been huge on-line arguments from occasional readers who will only buy a copy of SOS if it specifically features a workshop for their own particular DAW, and complaints from them when an issue or two miss.

Sadly, you can't please all of the people all of the time ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Kwackman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:12 pm

BJG145 wrote:
Kwackman wrote:In the Logic section a while back, there was an article on how to build a "sheen" reverb. I wasn't even sure what a sheen reverb was til I read that, and it wasn't hard to create the same thing in Cubase. That was helpful.

Case in point. The Logic article was in May 2019 and I skipped it. But there's a great general article on this subject in the current issue which I read with interest.

This month's Logic article is about double-tracking, and I'm sure there's some great info in there, but a lot of non-Logic users probably aren't going to read it because it's based on things like "Logic's Direction Mixer". I haven't got the energy to try and distil that wisdom and work out how to apply it in other environments. Wouldn't it be more sensible to give the subject wider appeal with the "Shimmer and Shine" treatment...?

Oops, well spotted, "shimmer" not "sheen"!
Yes, that was the article.
It doesn't worry me it was in Logic notes rather than Cubase.
I look at all the DAW columns, and if it's of interest read it through, if not I pass.
If it takes a bit of "energy" to translate it into Cubase (my DAW of choice), that's OK, I'll probably learn something new about Cubase, which is no bad thing.
My vote is keep the individual columns and promote diversification!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:24 pm

I like them. They don't always apply to me but I have picked up hints and tips from them. They are also a useful reference for anyone moving from one DAW to another or adding a new DAW to their existing workflow.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:43 am

Always been a bit conflicted on these ones.

On one side, I can see how discussing techniques in general terms is harder and how certain people may want DAW-specific functionality descriptions.

On the other, it's difficult to write DAW-specific stuff without referring to stuff like its interface, conventions, jargon and operating environment... all of which makes it a hard read if you are not familiar with that DAW (and do not intend to use time becoming so), so it becomes dead weight for most of the readers.

The proliferation of DAWs is also getting to the point where having sections on all the ones with some relevance would take a quarter of the space. :)

All in all, I must admit I skip these sections more often than not, but I don't see it as a big deal.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:32 am

BJG145 wrote:This month's Logic article is about double-tracking, and I'm sure there's some great info in there, but a lot of non-Logic users probably aren't going to read it ... Wouldn't it be more sensible to give the subject wider appeal with the "Shimmer and Shine" treatment...?

There's a more general one on this topic coming up too, with a bit more detail...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:00 am

Martin Walker wrote:On the other hand, over the years there have also been huge on-line arguments from occasional readers who will only buy a copy of SOS if it specifically features a workshop for their own particular DAW, and complaints from them when an issue for two miss.

OK! Well in that case...I vote to keep things as they are. Doesn't sound like I want that crowd on my back... :beamup:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:20 am

I suspect the answer is a combination of 'keep DAW workshops' and 'run more general
technique features too'. But do keep the comments/ideas coming... we're all following this thread :)
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:23 am

Matt, that would be my choice too.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Next