You are here

How useful are DAW-specific sections?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Kwackman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:
BJG145 wrote:This month's Logic article is about double-tracking, and I'm sure there's some great info in there, but a lot of non-Logic users probably aren't going to read it ... Wouldn't it be more sensible to give the subject wider appeal with the "Shimmer and Shine" treatment...?

There's a more general one on this topic coming up too, with a bit more detail...

No big deal, but those are BJG145's words, not mine. Fixed that for you -- HR
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Mixedup » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Ah, hasty post on a phone... :headbang:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:00 pm

Kwackman wrote:No big deal, but those are BJG145's words, not mine. Fixed that for you -- HR

Thanks Hugh.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby desmond » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:38 pm

I like them.

It's good if you don't spend time in other DAWs to see some technique in one you can apply to another DAW, or to see how a different DAW approaches a problem differently, or has different tools, to how you'd normally tackle it.

There's always something to learn, and the balance SOS currently has works for me. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:04 am

Because the DAWs have been competing for so many years they have all developed a similar set of features. So when you look at a DAW it breaks down into two general areas, one is using the audio/midi features and the other is in using the housekeeping tools. I find that the pieces on using the features are often transferable. And I think that SOS has got the balance about right when it comes to using features vs housekeeping.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby brucie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:12 pm

I enjoy them and as many other people have mentioned, I tend to read them all and take bits from each. I do teach Logic and Pro Tools, and have DP as I have had it for years, so I get more than my fair share from them.
brucie
Regular
Neil S. Bruce - http://www.spencerbruce.com

Postby Mike Shand » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:09 pm

I always read the Cubase one, but take a quick look at the others to see if there is some transferable technique.

One thing that sometimes trips me up is when the Cubase techniques only work in pro and not artist. I get all enthusiastic and then realise I can’t do it. But I think it usually does mention such restrictions. I just tend to miss them. :headbang:

But all in all I would be very sorry if we lost these.

Mike
Mike Shand
Poster

Postby MOF » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:02 pm

all in all I would be very sorry if we lost these
Me too.
I.....take a quick look at the others to see if there is some transferable technique.
Me too.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby tea for two » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:52 am

Dawless SOS
misses out a massive chunk of the industry.

Therefore necessary to keep it bouncing along in SOS.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:39 am

Matt Houghton wrote:I suspect the answer is a combination of 'keep DAW workshops' and 'run more general
technique features too'. But do keep the comments/ideas coming... we're all following this thread :)

I would miss them, if they were discontinued. They definitely add value to SOS.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Chet Leeway » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 am

MOF wrote:
I don't use any of the featured DAWs
What do you use for recording?

Waveform 11 (used to be called Tracktion).

After a quick look at this month's articles I'd say the Reason and Pro Tools ones are too specific to be of any use to anyone who uses other DAWs. The rest are a combination of conceptual and DAW specific, and are relatively easy to adapt to other DAWs if you have minimum of experience with them. All in all the section is useful enough. My main gripe is that there's a group of "chosen ones", and my DAW is not among them. I fully understand that with 5 different DAWs the section is already spread thin and that including more DAWs (or rotate) may not be viable.

For me personally, the articles would be more interesting if they were split into concept/implementation or general/specific. Like "this is the idea" and "here's how you do it in XXX".
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby IAA » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:08 pm

Although I exclusively use Logic, I read all the DAW sections, if only to work out how something cool in say Reaper can be implemented in Logic. So even if the plugins are different, I’ve rarely not been able to replicate a similar workflow. Given Logics major update in 10.5 it will be even possible to follow the Ableton column!

So it’s about right for me too!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm

Chet Leeway wrote:I fully understand that with 5 different DAWs the section is already spread thin and that including more DAWs (or rotate) may not be viable.

The choice of DAWs for each issue is rotated, although space is obviously at a premium and the selections broadly reflect the numbers of users as reported in the magazine surveys.

A quick count up of DAW-specific technique articles over the last 12 months gives these results:

ProTools 12
Studio One 11
Cubase 10
Reason 9
Logic 8
Ableton 7
Cakewalk 3
Digital Performer 3
Reaper 2

... But I may well have missed some or lost count in the heat!!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:39 pm

That looks generally sensible for the readership, though I'm surprised not to see Reaper higher on the list. I'm also surprised at the number of people studying articles on DAWs they don't use. I should obviously be trying harder. :D
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Chet Leeway » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:04 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Chet Leeway wrote:I fully understand that with 5 different DAWs the section is already spread thin and that including more DAWs (or rotate) may not be viable.

The choice of DAWs for each issue is rotated, although space is obviously at a premium and the selections broadly reflect the numbers of users as reported in the magazine surveys.

A quick count up of DAW-specific technique articles over the last 12 months gives these results:

ProTools 12
Studio One 11
Cubase 10
Reason 9
Logic 8
Ableton 7
Cakewalk 3
Digital Performer 3
Reaper 2

... But I may well have missed some or lost count in the heat!!

Bad research on my part, though the key number for me is:

Waveform 0 :protest:

It's not really a problem and I see the logic of not "wasting" space on minor players.
Chet Leeway
Regular

PreviousNext