You are here

How useful are DAW-specific sections?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:28 pm

I mostly use SADiE, with a bit of Audition for simple things and Reaper when it involves MIDI. Neither SADiE nor Audition are covered either.... and yet I still pick up useful ideas, tips and techniques from the other DAW articles quite regularly.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27585
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Folderol » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 pm

As a matter of interest, has anyone done a review of Ardour? It is completely cross platform and there have been considerable upgrades in the latest version.
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10847
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby The Korff » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:36 pm

Not a review per se, but we've covered it before (albeit a long time ago!).

There was this article about Linux and music-making in general (2003):

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/linux-and-music

And this one from 2004 about a studio that used Linux computers throughout:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -mastering

Both articles major heavily on Ardour, as you'd expect.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2200
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:28 pm
Location: The Wrong Precinct

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:05 pm

The Korff in 2003...

Image
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:20 pm

He still wears that hat! :lol:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27585
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Folderol » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:37 pm

The Korff wrote:Not a review per se, but we've covered it before (albeit a long time ago!).

There was this article about Linux and music-making in general (2003):

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/linux-and-music

And this one from 2004 about a studio that used Linux computers throughout:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -mastering

Both articles major heavily on Ardour, as you'd expect.

Cheers!

Chris
Thanks for the info, but that was a long time ago :o
It's developed a lot since then. They are up to version 6 now!
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10847
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby ajay_m » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:56 pm

I'd have to concur with the comments that a discussion of techniques that wasn't daw specific would be more interesting. E
G shimmer reverb as a general concept. We can generally then translate these to the daw we use.
ajay_m
New here
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Kwackman » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:22 pm

BJG145 wrote:
Kwackman wrote:In the Logic section a while back, there was an article on how to build a "sheen" reverb.

Case in point. The Logic article was in May 2019 and I skipped it. But there's a great general article on this subject in the current issue which I read with interest.

I've only got round to opening this month's magazine, and hadn't spotted the new article on shimmer reverb until now! It was by pure chance I picked that, honest!
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1793
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby The Korff » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:41 am

BJG145 wrote:The Korff in 2003...

Image

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Outstanding! Is this your bit of Photoshoppery?
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2200
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:28 pm
Location: The Wrong Precinct

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:21 am

BJG145 wrote:I'm surprised not to see Reaper higher on the list.

That'd be due as much to 'supply issues' over the last 12 months as anything else... there will be more coming up. But it's not been neglected entirely; we've also had more general mix/recording articles in which Reaper has featured.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1022
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:00 am
SOS Reviews Editor

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Folderol » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:33 am

I was a bit surprised at the amount of interest in 'shimmer' reverb. As far as I can see, apart from the name and more convenient 'packaging' there's nothing really new. Delay + feedback + filtering + a wee bit of distortion - just like you used to get with cheap tape echo machines and a worn tape :lol:
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10847
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:41 am

Folderol wrote:I was a bit surprised at the amount of interest in 'shimmer' reverb. As far as I can see, apart from the name and more convenient 'packaging' there's nothing really new. Delay + feedback + filtering + a wee bit of distortion - just like you used to get with cheap tape echo machines and a worn tape :lol:

No - the key component to the shimmer effect is octave pitch transposition of the feedback path - this is what differentiates it from just regular long reverbs/delays...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9808
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Folderol » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:52 am

desmond wrote:
Folderol wrote:I was a bit surprised at the amount of interest in 'shimmer' reverb. As far as I can see, apart from the name and more convenient 'packaging' there's nothing really new. Delay + feedback + filtering + a wee bit of distortion - just like you used to get with cheap tape echo machines and a worn tape :lol:

No - the key component to the shimmer effect is octave pitch transposition of the feedback path - this is what differentiates it from just regular long reverbs/delays...
Ah!
Didn't pick that up. Thought it was just accentuating higher harmonics.
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10847
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:03 am

No, the pitch shift is what really generates the 'shimmer' effect and makes it so distinctive from conventional reverbs and other time-based effects.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27585
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: How useful are DAW-specific sections?

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:18 am

I like the DAW pages. I've often picked up useful stuff that's relevant to my own DAW and it's good to see how other DAWs work. No DAW is so good that it can't learn from others!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14531
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

PreviousNext