You are here

new app and previously downloaded content

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

new app and previously downloaded content

Postby IAA » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:54 pm

The new app seems good and efficient, if a little pensive occasionally as it catches up with me skipping pages. But previously I had downloaded lots of editions for occupying me in various waiting areas with no WiFi. But my iPad says I’ve still got 12gb of content somewhere. Is this how it’s supposed to work? it seems the move to not require downloads of the whole edition to save space is a good idea, but leaving all my previous editions with no means - as far as I can tell - of reading them seems to defeat the space saving ambition??
IAA
Frequent Poster

Re: new app and previously downloaded content

Postby desmond » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:32 pm

I'm not sure, but I also had something similar - I had all the previous issues downloaded for offline consumption, but the new app didn't recognise I had any of those issues already downloaded, and by default each issue now downloads each page, unless I redownload the full issue.

But I still have the old content on there (5GB worth). My guess would be the best way to clean up is to delete the app + data, then redownload the app, then redownload all the content, to get back to where I was.

I thought the new features were supposed to *save* bandwidth... :protest: :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:54 pm

I'm sure Ian will be along to explain the situation in detail. But as I understand it, the app provider forced an upgrade that is built around individual articles rather than whole issues, and it is therefore incompatible with all the previous whole-issue downloads. Consequently, the SOS team have had to remake the previous issues to be compatible with the new app, and hence they need to be downloaded again.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby IAA » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:29 am

I think that’s what I suspected Hugh. It’s not a calamity (in the grand scheme of things), but I probably will have to delete the app and it’s data as Desmond suggests to free up the space to redownload the very same issues!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:04 am

IAA wrote:I think that’s what I suspected Hugh. It’s not a calamity (in the grand scheme of things), but I probably will have to delete the app and it’s data as Desmond suggests to free up the space to redownload the very same issues!

I remember when SOS issued a CD with all the previous year's issues (less the adverts). Thy were a wonderful resource until they were discontinued (sigh).
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular