You are here

SOS Please consider making the first n best measurements database

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: SOS Please consider making the first n best measurements database

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:26 pm

"How many Macs have you got?"

The impudence! It is precisely BECAUSE I don't have a mac that I am annoyed a reviewer does not at least have access to a PC!

I have no idea what the ratio is, 10:1? But the world is split twixt mac and PC owners and most of the former I would guess have them for a specific reason, audio, video, whatever. Most 'ordinary' folks get along with Msoft. So, when I read a review about a bit of kit that can run on both platforms...I WANNA know!

Anyway Hugh, I DON'T expect every reviewer to have an AP test rig in their back bedroom , as you say, today's gear all has more than adequate specifications (although the odd AI with a stupidly low HZ headroom got through) I want a downloaded spec more to tell me the exact configuration of a bit of gear, the puffy stuff most of them put on their websites is useless. I will say again, they have to have all this information to build the thing to start with. Just organize it and let them as wants it have it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:06 pm

ef37a wrote:The impudence! It is precisely BECAUSE I don't have a mac that I am annoyed a reviewer does not at least have access to a PC!

:-D I know... as a PC user myself I sometimes get miffed too... But a lot of musicians are funny about PCs and won't go near them. Some of our staff have and use both Mac and PC, but few of our freelance contributors are 'bilingual'.

I don't have a Mac because I can't justify the cost... so I don't and can't comment on Mac software when I review dual-format products.

I have no idea what the ratio is, 10:1?

I'd be very surprised if were that lop-sided, but I don't have any genuine figures. My personal experience of meeting pros and amateurs alike is that there is a (small) majority of Mac users, though.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Am I in a I minority? as I rarely read specs, in fact, I can’t remember the last time I did, maybe1973?
They certainly don’t influence my purchasing decisions, simply because something with a good paper spec isn’t a guarantee that it’s going to sound any good, in fact, sometimes the opposite is true. The only things I tend to use are my ears, which can be just as unreliable as specifications, so the whole thing is pointless, we may as well just like something because it has big knobs or meters, or it’s blue.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:19 pm

Arpangel wrote:Am I in a I minority? as I rarely read specs, in fact, I can’t remember the last time I did, maybe1973?
They certainly don’t influence my purchasing decisions, simply because something with a good paper spec isn’t a guarantee that it’s going to sound any good, in fact, sometimes the opposite is true. The only things I tend to use are my ears, which can be just as unreliable as specifications, so the whole thing is pointless, we may as well just like something because it has big knobs or meters, or it’s blue.

Well my desire for good specifications and manuals is not just 'nerdiness' but also fiscal. I simply cannot afford to drop £100 plus on an item unless I am pretty sure it will do the job, plus, as I said, good support documentation that is easy to access gives one confidence that the company is at least literate and probably helpful.

I also challenge the view that this is a cost issue? Some of the smaller companies are the best at customer service and the monoliths not so. Yamaha for instance have degraded from supplying a very detailed .pdf with their small mixers, including block diagram and level diagram to a single, hard to read sheet.

I have recently had to buy a new'ER car! A 2008 Megane and it does not come with a drivers handbook. Local Renault main dealer says it is no longer available. I have a .pdf download but that covers so many variants I am banjaxed!

Oh! And by the way Hugh? I could not care LESS whether things work on macs!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:34 pm

And those with Macs couldn't care less whether something works on PCs... Bit of a pointless argument, really.

The simple fact is that the population is becoming less technically literate everyday, and the manufacturers are responding to the changing times and their customer's needs.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:46 pm

No Hugh, you have not grasped my meaning yet.

I PERSONALLY could not care if kit works on a mac but the magazine is for everyone surely? (well, stuff those weird Linux blokes!) So anything reviewed should really be tested for the whole of the reader base?

And come on! PCs are everywhere. I bought a working tower with W7 a few years ago from a charity shop for a tenner!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:04 pm

ef37a wrote:So anything reviewed should really be tested for the whole of the reader base?

I did understand your point...

What would be nice in a perfect world, and what is realistically practical in this one, are very different things.

We do the best we can, but I doubt Ian will be willing to scour the charity shops in the hope of equipping the mac owners with second-hand PCs, and the PC owners with used Macs... I'm sorry if that disappoints you. :crazy:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 pm

Erm - Macs ARE PC's (at the moment). All a Mac based reviewer needs to do is to set up a dual boot system and load up a copy of Windows. It is a bit more difficult to do it the other way unless you are very lucky with your choice of hardware.

I used to keep a Mac around here just so that I could run MOTU's Clockworks software for the Digital Timepiece but I ended up writing my own replacement that runs on a PC so that I could ditch the MAC. Nowadays MOTU actually have Clockworks for the PC.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:50 pm

Arpangel wrote:Am I in a I minority? as I rarely read specs, in fact, I can’t remember the last time I did, maybe1973?

I *am* currently fancying a Stratocaster because it's blue. Good that it doesn't have an ebony fingerboard, black pickguard and gold plated hardware... :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:43 pm

I bought an electric guitar today in a car boot sale. It cost me £27, I have absolutely no idea who made it (and examination doesn't bear fruit), it weighs more than half of my synths do, has two missing knobs (though the naked stems work fine) and a missing tuning key (though a pair of pliers works fine to turn the shaft) but it's a nice flame-cherry red colour with a shiny finish, has a pleasing body shape and looks like something someone who knows about guitars might play, so there is that.

No PDF manual though. Who should I write to about that? ;-)

I jest, of course (not about the guitar - that really happened) but these days there is a lot of information online, people don't read manuals like they used to (I love them myself) and it's a competitive world.

It took me a little while to adapt, and I still don't like it, but information is out there you just don't get it given to you on a plate so much these days.

Oh, apparently humbucker pickups as well. I know this because some random passer-by at the sale said "ooh, humbuckers... you've done well today mate". I got the impression he was a regular. As to whether he knows anything about guitars I have no idea, but I'll hazard a guess he knows more than I do because I wouldn't have said that to anyone given I don't know what a humbucker pickup looks like. Maybe he was making it up, but in the absence of a manual his comment is all I have to go on! :tongue:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby ef37a » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:12 am

Steady Eddy!

A pickup might LOOK like a classic humbucker but electrically be a single coil.
I had a plywood LP copy son got me to buy with an old amp from a guy many years ago, 25quid the job lot.

The pups were not humbuckers and had but one coil and one, slab ferrite magnet but space for two. I therefore made a humbucker out of the pair.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous