You are here

Plug-in Survey - Oh dear, not again!

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Plug-in Survey - Oh dear, not again!

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:49 am

I recall that the previous 'Plug-in Survey' was quietly removed after several pointed out that as a survey it wasn't very good.

I've just received an email telling me that the Plug-in Survey is back in business. So I went to complete it...

Q1. 'Do you use a computer to make music' Y/N? Well, I don't make music as such and most of my work is non-musical. So... my answer is No.

That's it, thanks very much, good bye! :frown:

The email says nothing about it being a 'Plug-ins and Music Making Survey' it's a 'Plug-in Survey'... ermm no it isn't.

[Sigh]
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Plug-in Survey - Oh dear, not again!

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 am

Indeed, it excludes anyone who works on video primarily or on podcasts or other spoken word stuff.
Also, question 6. Tube amps or emulation? What about just using a non-tube amp?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:58 am

Mike Stranks wrote:I recall that the previous 'Plug-in Survey' was quietly removed after several pointed out that as a survey it wasn't very good.

I've just received an email telling me that the Plug-in Survey is back in business. So I went to complete it...

Q1. 'Do you use a computer to make music' Y/N? Well, I don't make music as such and most of my work is non-musical. So... my answer is No.

That's it, thanks very much, good bye! :frown:

The email says nothing about it being a 'Plug-ins and Music Making Survey' it's a 'Plug-in Survey'... ermm no it isn't.

[Sigh]

Ain't you happy? One less survey to reply to.. :D :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:18 am

CS70 wrote:
Ain't you happy? One less survey to reply to.. :D :D

I'm more than happy to complete a survey that might be useful to those collecting the data and as I do use plug-ins I thought I might have something to contribute...

... apparently not...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:02 pm

blinddrew wrote:Also, question 6. Tube amps or emulation? What about just using a non-tube amp?

I gave up there and backed out. I use a little solid state practice amp with a line out, and a bunch of pedals. And then it goes into the DAW, where I do other things. No option for this on the question though.

Also question 3. Which do I think has the best sound? No idea. Never used enough of those to compare. Heard of most of them though.

Q8 is a bit weird as well. They'd sound better I guess..? And there's no differentiation between instruments, processing, mastering etc. Just... plugins.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:19 pm

The art of survey construction is well studied and documented. Unfortunately most of the surveys I see are written by people who haven't taken the time to read the book.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:29 am

Just stumbled over this thread again...

I would be genuinely interested to know what this survey was all about; why both attempts at conducting it raised some 'issues' and why it was so strangely unfocussed at various points?

A preamble about the aims and objectives would have helped and possibly stopped little misery-guts like me bleating on about its inadequacies, when possibly it wasn't meant for me in the first place! :)

Not your usual quality SOS fare at all...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster