You are here

Voyage Audio Spatial Mic review

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Voyage Audio Spatial Mic review

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:38 am

Thanks, Sam, for that. Clear and succinct and sets out the issues very nicely.

Just wish Logic could do higher order ambisonics.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Re: Voyage Audio Spatial Mic review

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:40 pm

Thanks CC!

I discovered after the review went to press that there is actually a second-order Ambisonic mic at a similar price with analogue outputs, the Brahma Field 8:

https://brahmamic.com/products/brahma-field/

Made in India! Intriguing...
Sam Inglis

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:30 am

And of course Logic won't handle 2nd order stuff and I'm too old/lazy to learn to use Reaper now. Bah, humbug!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Perhaps I'm too old and too stuck in my ways... but while I can see the advantages of higher-order Ambisonics for some limited and specific situations (mostly in signal processing for replay), I'm really struggling to see much practical benefit for most real world high-quality recording situations.

Yes, I obviously understand the ability to create tighter virtual mic polar patterns and the improved imaging stability... but the fundamental problem will always be that all of these cleverly crafted virtual mics are all sitting in the same spot within the room...

...and were you to replace all those virtual mics with real ones, you'd almost certainly never want to place them all there!

Okay, so the advanced 2nd order polar patterns might enable some reduction in unwanted room tone pickup and spill, but it's still never going to be the same as placing a mic 3-inches from the sound source! So there's almost always going to be a significant compromise of sound quality for the sake of technological convenience.

While I can absolutely appreciate the enormous convenience of, for example, plonking an Ambisonic mic in the middle of a pub to capture ad-hoc performances in the round (etc), I'm not convinced (as yet) that all the extra hassle of doing that with an HOA mic (higher costs, massively increased channel count, DAW compatibility, etc) would actually bring much of an advantage compared to doing the same with a simpler 1st order ambisonic mic -- given that the sound quality is likely to be heavily compromised and sub-optimal anyway.

In a well controlled acoustic environment like a professional studio, or in a special acoustic space like a cathedral, I can see that an HOA mic might bring some benefits over a 1st order one in specific, carefully managed, recording situations. But those are something of a special rarity...

I have two SoundField 1st order mics, and I love them. But to use them to advantage in a 360 degree sound stage takes an awful lot of careful planning and meticulous setting up. I use them as 'fancy stereo mics' far more often! ;)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:39 pm

Actually, I agree, Hugh. My interest in HOA is primarily that of general interest in an aspect of a subject I find interesting rather than something that I think would genuinely enrich my recording life. With the NT-SF1 and H3-VR I've got two bits of kit that are seriously useful in a number of situations, mostly of the "super-stereo mic" kind. And in truth that's all I want.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:all the extra hassle of doing that with an HOA mic (higher costs, massively increased channel count, DAW compatibility, etc) would actually bring much of an advantage compared to doing the same with a 1st order ambisonic mic

Certainly not enough of an advantage, I reckon.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster