You are here

UDO Super 6 review - small point of clarification

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

UDO Super 6 review - small point of clarification

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:13 pm

The 'Bootloading' info box on page 2 of the UDO Super 6 review states:

By starting up the Super 6 in a couple of special bootloader modes, the internal hard drive can be mounted on a computer desktop to give access to files.

According to their firmware update instructions, the boot disk on the Super 6 is about 2.7MB in size, so I would have assumed it to be some form of flash storage rather than a hard drive.

If there really was a hard drive in it that would certainly be worth knowing but I have a suspicion there isn't one, which I think is better than if there was one due to the longevity issues associated with hard drives as most people understand the term.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Re: UDO Super 6 review - small point of clarification

Postby BJG145 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:52 pm

I guess we're at a point of evolutionary change in the nomenclature of these devices. The manual refers to it as a disk drive, and talks about accessing it like a USB drive...but, no, it's not going to have plates spinning at 7200rpm; it'll be some kind of user-addressable solid-state storage. Dunno how much, presumably a reasonable amount as it seems to be for storing user waveforms or something.

You could say that "hard drive" was originally a distinction from "floppy drive", and SSDs are still pretty solid. I think if I was talking to someone about the place inside their laptop where they store files I might call it the "internal hard drive" even if it was NVMe. But admittedly, I'm increasingly becoming a bit of an IT dinosaur these days.
BJG145
Jedi Poster