You are here

Phone article suggestion

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Phone article suggestion

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Some of us may be dealing with a plethora (nice word!) of phone recordings done by amateurs this year. Perhaps an article with suggestions we can pass on to those doing the recordings would be useful. If it is couched in simplified English for people who have never recorded before or who aren’t tuned in as aurally to their immediate environment’s sound as musicians/engineers are?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Phone article suggestion

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:46 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Some of us may be dealing with a plethora (nice word!) of phone recordings done by amateurs this year. Perhaps an article with suggestions we can pass on to those doing the recordings would be useful. If it is couched in simplified English for people who have never recorded before or who aren’t tuned in as aurally to their immediate environment’s sound as musicians/engineers are?

The most obvious suggestion: call someone else! :D

Just kidding, it's actually a good idea. In many circumstances it doesn't take much.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:09 am

I find myself in a situation trying to explain as simply as possible to a choreographer who also sings about recording basics. He has to then pass this on to his dancers who also sing. They are all sending me files in different formats etc. It is all making me realize that it is not easy to pass on some of what I spent years learning to people who have never considered sound from a recording standpoint. It’s a challenge trying to gauge what words will help understanding of basic concepts. Not being a teacher there must be some tools to help that I’m not aware of.
The alternative of let’s all get together in a studio literally puts people’s health and in some cases, lives at risk. They want to do that and I say no.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:48 am

I don't know much about smart phones (got one, hate it) but if they can be used with a USB headset I would urge everyone to record their voice that way.
As it happens, two minutes ago there was an eye health doctor on TV and he said to use your laptop at arm's length. Great for eyes, ***t for sound especially in some of the acoustics we now hear daily in news reports. After all, for good voice repro you use a dynamic mic at just a couple of cms from lips. Yes, you would be 3 or 4 times that away from an LDC but only in a good room!

Sennheiser make a decent headset for about £20, ok, not a U87 nor a 7b but what it lacks in booteekmccyness it more than makes up for in a consistent sound with very little (bad) room effect.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:07 pm

I've done this the hard way with students in lockdown. First years recording VO with the phone. Probably much easier to explain it to film students than regular folk though!!
ef37a wrote:I don't know much about smart phones (got one, hate it) but if they can be used with a USB headset I would urge everyone to record their voice that way.
Tell them to record with the earphones that are provided. The attached mic is usually very clear for voice and eliminates background sound (many of them are noise cancelling).

As for file formats, that's hard. Current Apple iOS voice memo can be easily set to "high quality" which is Apple Lossless IIRC? But not everyone has the latest iOS on their phone. Older versions are stuck on lowish bitrate AAC in Apple's MP4 container. Android is even harder, you'll have to talk them through the free app (name escapes me) to set it up for WAV.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster