You are here

SOS Magazine Writers Reviewers : more representation of Women

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

SOS Magazine Writers Reviewers : more representation of Women

Postby tea for two » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:27 am

In the decades I have read SOS magazine and forums
never occurred to me even to consider the make up of SOS writers reviewers.

However for the first time I recognise there should be
50% Female 50% male writers reviewers on SOS magazine.

I am sure SOS would quite easily locate several eminently qualified Female writers reviewers :
from a variety of different ethnic backgrounds.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Re: SOS Magazine Writers Reviewers : more representation of Women

Postby The Elf » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:00 am

...or how about just finding the right person for the job? :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby manwilde » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:20 am

That would be too easy for such a complicated era... :crazy:
manwilde
Regular

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:24 am

We would absolutely love to have more female writers, and a greater variety of backgrounds and ethnicities represented among SOS authors (although in fact we are often 'blind' to this as we don't meet most of our authors face to face or see photos). If you have any ideas as to how we can achieve this I'm all ears.
Sam Inglis

Postby Folderol » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:52 am

tea for two wrote:However for the first time I recognise there should be
Why?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:00 am

Sam Inglis wrote:I'm all ears.

That’s why you’re an excellent reviewer! :D

I know I’m probably wrong with this theory, but, I’ve met some great women who are into technology and recording, in relation to the music they make, but, not as an end in itself, I’ve not personally come across any women that are interested in that, I’ve had a couple of women in my band in the past, that were way beyond me when it came to the creative use of gear in their music, but all they wanted from it was for it to work and serve their music, they didn’t really care what went on under the bonnet. I admire this attitude.
Being male, I think there is something in our DNA that makes men more inclined to lift the bonnet, and want to know what goes on, as an end in itself.
Please, if there are any women reading this, have your say.
I’m definitly not saying women aren’t capable, in any way, and it’s interesting that mostly it’s men on the forum, is that because they just aren’t interested? or because they feel they wouldn’t be welcomed? It’s definitely not the latter AFAIC.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Senior » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:59 am

100% behind this idea. I'm sure that Karrie Keyes at SoundGirls (who I've recently started promoting on the Cambridge-MT site) and Terri Winston at Women's Audio Mission have lists of engineers who would be more than keen to get involved.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio

Postby Agharta » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:52 pm

tea for two wrote:However for the first time I recognise there should be

Why not start your own magazine and then you can dictate how to run it!
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:15 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:We would absolutely love to have more female writers, and a greater variety of backgrounds and ethnicities represented among SOS authors (although in fact we are often 'blind' to this as we don't meet most of our authors face to face or see photos). If you have any ideas as to how we can achieve this I'm all ears.

Perhaps dedicating an ad page on the magazine and on the website to explicitly request it?
In any gender-dominated field, a little explicit encouragement never goes amiss.

That would be another amazing thing separating SOS from the rest of the pack.

Btw, Sam, your answer is one more reason for which I love SOS and keep subscribing. Everything is high end, starting from the editorial team.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:18 pm

tea for two wrote:I am sure SOS would quite easily locate several eminently qualified Female writers reviewers from a variety of different ethnic backgrounds.

I've no idea where your confidence comes from, but I fear it is greatly misplaced!

I applaud the sentiment, of course, and although SOS has always had contributions from all sexes and ethnicities, more diversity would always be very welcome, I'm sure.

Sadly, though, for whatever reason, this is a very male-dominated industry -- not as male-dominated as it once was, though, thankfully. Go into any college teaching music tech (in all its forms) at the moment and you'll typically find less than 20% of students are non-male. Thirty years ago that would have been less than 5%, so progress is definitely being made, but it is very slow.

To reinforce the point, I reviewed a truly excellent technical book last week about Decca's classical music recording techniques, and one of the three co-authors is a woman -- a fact which is, sadly, very, very unusual. I must have well over 100 technical books on all aspects of sound and recording in my library, and I think I can count the number of female authors on the fingers of one hand (and that wouldn't include the thumb....).

Naturally, there is a 'chicken and egg' scenario here. If more women and other 'industry minorities' were able to build profiles in magazines like SOS, more would feel encouraged to become involved in the industry...

Unfortunately, though, you can't just suddenly conjure up thirty new highly experienced, literate, reliable, and technically capable authors to fill your 50% requirements... it takes time -- years and decades -- for people to acquire the experience and knowledge, and not all of those people also have the necessary skills or interest to write features and reviews...

As the Elf says, the right person for the job has to be the most important thing... knowledge, experience, capability are the priorities... but there are no rules at all here about what that person should look like.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby garrettendi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Thanks Hugh for that explanation. In an ideal world we'd have 50% male/female in every industry, but sadly that isn't the case.

I've noticed there are very few female forum regulars, which is probably further proof of an unfortunately male-dominated industry.

I'm here if you want a Deaf magazine contributor though!!! :lol:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:03 pm

garrettendi wrote:In an ideal world we'd have 50% male/female in every industry...

Ideal for whom?

Men and women naturally have different interests and different talents and abilities, and they are reflected fairly naturally in most industries.

There should -- must -- be equal opportunity for everyone to pursue whatever career/job paths they wish, of course. But forcing equal numbers is a ludicrous notion IMHO.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby garrettendi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But forcing equal numbers is a ludicrous notion IMHO.

I definitely wasn't suggesting forcing equal numbers, more about providing equal opportunities and removing prejudice about what women/men can/should do.

No offence was intended! :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:11 pm

No offence perceived! :D

We are clearly of like mind when it comes to equal opportunities for all. :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Folderol » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Exactly! The problem is far too many people try to treat the symptom not the the cause. Forcing a 50:50 mix just results in a lot of dissatisfied people from all sides. In the first place you'll never achieve it. In the second place who wants people in any environment who are only there because some decided they should be?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Next