You are here

SOS Magazine Writers Reviewers : more representation of Women

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SOS Magazine Writers Reviewers : more representation of Women

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:27 pm

tea for two wrote:In the decades I have read SOS magazine and forums
never occurred to me even to consider the make up of SOS writers reviewers.

However for the first time I recognise there should be
50% Female 50% male writers reviewers on SOS magazine.

Good question, lazy answer.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:57 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Men and women naturally have different interests and different talents and abilities, and they are reflected fairly naturally in most industries.

There should -- must -- be equal opportunity for everyone to pursue whatever career/job paths they wish, of course. But forcing equal numbers is a ludicrous notion IMHO.

You’ll end up with the attitude "she only got the job because she’s a woman" or of course "he only got the job because he's a man" just to make up the numbers.
When I had my shop I didn’t care what sex colour or creed someone was, as long as they could do a good job, and were right for the job, we had a very eclectic selection of staff through the life of our shop, but not once did I employ someone for any other reason apart from suitability for the job, and the right attitude.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:16 pm

Being male, I think there is something in our DNA that makes men more inclined to lift the bonnet, and want to know what goes on, as an end in itself.

I’m inclined to agree, I’ve seen lots of YouTube reviews of gear and it’s always a male presenter.
The only exception I can recall was a guitarist reviewing a carbon fibre guitar, that review was part of her channel that was all about her songwriting and performing. It didn’t go into anything deeply technical.
Here’s the link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PyM8IgQhHKo
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Mike Senior wrote:100% behind this idea. I'm sure that Karrie Keyes at SoundGirls (who I've recently started promoting on the Cambridge-MT site) and Terri Winston at Women's Audio Mission have lists of engineers who would be more than keen to get involved.
Hurrah! :clap:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:29 pm

SOS is equal opportunities - if any women have great writing skills, get in touch with Sam or one of the Reviews editors (see Contact page).

Our colleague Debbie Poyser springs to mind... she was a staff member and wrote most issues.

Funnily enough, I have just today put an archive article from 1998 by Janet Harniman-Cook on the website.

Emu Emax II

I just looked up Google Analytics breakdown of site visitors and it tells me there are almost 15% females visiting and reading content. Given our traffic, that's a pretty high number.

So yes, ladies, please step into the writing spotlight and lend us your contributions.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 12,352 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:11 pm

This is quite interesting:

Study shows that female participation in STEM subjects is highest in countries where women are most oppressed

I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from it, though!
Sam Inglis

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:51 pm

MOF wrote:I’ve seen lots of YouTube reviews of gear and it’s always a male presenter.
The only exception I can recall was a guitarist reviewing a carbon fibre guitar, that review was part of her channel that was all about her songwriting and performing. It didn’t go into anything deeply technical.
Here’s the link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PyM8IgQhHKo

Ah, Mary Spender - she really is a good example of the excellent player with wide-ranging interests who covers her subject well. I've watched quite a few of her YouTube reviews :clap:

On the other hand, I for one wouldn't be upset if YouTube deleted all examples of 'box opening' videos, where the only content consists of (invariably male) presenters simply opening the box, and spreading out its contents on their desk without even powering it up :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Whatever happened to Enlightened Hand? She was a good person to have around the forum.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Intergalactic Mercurial Man of Mystery.

Postby MOF » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:38 pm

On the other hand, I for one wouldn't be upset if YouTube deleted all examples of 'box opening' videos, where the only content consists of (invariably male) presenters simply opening the box, and spreading out its contents on their desk without even powering it up :headbang:

Agreed, thankfully, Mary spends only a few seconds doing so.
I just did a quick search and found that “The platform's users upload more than 500 hours of fresh video per minute, YouTube revealed at recent press events. That works out to 30,000 hours of new content per hour, and 720,000 hours of new content per day.7 May 2019” I don’t know how YT make a profit having to buy all that server space each day. If YT used speech algorithms to auto delete anything that wasn’t ‘meaningful content’ it could save a fortune.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:51 pm

MOF wrote:I don’t know how YT make a profit having to buy all that server space each day. If YT used speech algorithms to auto delete anything that wasn’t ‘meaningful content’ it could save a fortune.

Simple. YouTube still does not make a profit, even with it being owned by the mighty Google (Alphabet).
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:56 pm

MOF wrote: ‘meaningful content’

One person's meaningful content is another person's nightmare viewing... you just need to avoid pressing the OK button on your TV remote when hovering over the 15 millionth cat video on YT... :-)
Forum Admin

Postby garrettendi » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:56 pm

Yes I quite like unboxing videos myself!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby MOF » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:03 pm

One person's meaningful content is another person's nightmare viewing... you just need to avoid pressing the OK button on your TV remote when hovering over the 15 millionth cat video on YT... :-)
Perhaps every month there should be a survey done and only the top one hundred videos survive, the rest get wiped. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Yes I quite like unboxing videos myself!
Nothing to stop you backing them up to your hard drive and then if they get voted out (see my previous reply) they get wiped. Sorted!!
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:16 pm

YouTube still does not make a profit, even with it being owned by the mighty Google (Alphabet).
It’s not clear if it does. It looks like it made $15 billion in advertising in 2019. I’m not sure how much its systems cost, and it’s not saying, but The Verge thinks it’s possibly just gone into profit.
It certainly would if it wiped all the massively over duplicated content.
MOF
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext