You are here

SOS Magazine Writers Reviewers : more representation of Women

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SOS Magazine Writers Reviewers : more representation of Women

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:23 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Whatever happened to Enlightened Hand? She was a good person to have around the forum.

Yes, it was a real shame when she disappeared, although her views were quite forthright! ;)

I suspect she no longer posts so much on forums in general, although she does still seem to occasionally post on Gearslutz.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MOF » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:53 pm

I just looked up Google Analytics breakdown of site visitors and it tells me there are almost 15% females visiting and reading content. Given our traffic, that's a pretty high number.

A thought occurred to me that given this is the internet, you can’t be sure who’s telling the truth when they tell you their gender. It reminds me of the stone throwing scene in Life of Brian. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:This is quite interesting:

Study shows that female participation in STEM subjects is highest in countries where women are most oppressed

I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from it, though!

You make a good point there. I used to teach coding in various colleges and universities, and no matter what we tried, campaigns and initiatives run by the female lecturers, we only attracted a few women into coding. That said, those we did attract were really good. But most of those that excelled, still said they were not inclined to seek work as coders. In contrast, at universities where we had partnerships and associations with developing countries, including those more ‘oppressive’, women were well represented and they did very well. The subjects where in the West there was an over representation of women, psychology, sociology et al the paucity of men doesn’t seem to be an issue, there’s no initiatives to aspire to a 50:50 split there.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:53 pm

Over here it is currently liberal-knee-jerk-reaction-in-the-other-direction-to-the-extreme policies that are taking president. Currently it boils down to all applicants welcome but white, English speaking people who identify as heterosexual males are now a lower priority.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:55 pm

There are some people who think that's happening over here too but they're mostly wrong.
Where they are seeing a change it's because a whole load of unconscious bias is being stripped out and they're having to compete on a level playing field.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:29 am

Martin Walker wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:Whatever happened to Enlightened Hand? She was a good person to have around the forum.

Yes, it was a real shame when she disappeared, although her views were quite forthright! ;)

I suspect she no longer posts so much on forums in general, although she does still seem to occasionally post on Gearslutz.

Martin

I agree with you both!. Liz was often the voice of calm sanity when the hype and hyperbole was getting a bit much. I bought my monitors on her recommendation and have never regretted it for a second.

On the wider topic... I can't speak about the commercial IT industry now, but in the circles in which I moved in the 70s-00s women were well represented at all levels.

... and in audio-tech I know of some females who've finally made it after years of being regarded as oddities. And on the live circuit my spirits always lifted when the house sound-tech was not male. It always resulted in sensible, reasoned, informed and pleasant conversations with people who were a pleasure to work with.

... and while I'm here, I DEMAND that all contributors to this forum should mandatorily HAVE to include their gender, age, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, political preferences and attitudes to meat at the foot of EVERY post. :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:41 am

Mike Stranks wrote:and attitudes to meat at the foot of EVERY post. :lol:

My meat stays private dang it!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Arpangel » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:59 am

MOF wrote:e]

I’m inclined to agree, I’ve seen lots of YouTube reviews of gear and it’s always a male presenter.

Or a woman that was once a male, there seems to be quite a few transgender people in the synthesis world, and strangely, in the model railway world too, which I’m involved in, this is all great, but it’s strange how these interests draw a certain parallel, with wanting to delve in and get the spanner’s out regarding your gender, that’s also a very male approach to things "engineering" in a different form.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:36 am

tea for two wrote:In the decades I have read SOS magazine and forums
never occurred to me even to consider the make up of SOS writers reviewers.

It never even occurred to me that they wore make up. But (tongue firmly in cheek) I agree if SOS is starting make up reviews then having more women on board would be essential.

Seriously though, surely having equal opportunities is about removing obstacles, not forcing people to participate.

Most public service bodies now have equality quotas for departmental employees. It's only a matter of time before we see an advert saying 'Disabled BAME LGBTQ+ gender-fluid elderly non-english speaker on parole required to join us to make up the numbers'.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Obesity. Ask not for whom the belt holes? 

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:43 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:Most public service bodies now have equality quotas for departmental employees. It's only a matter of time before we see an advert saying 'Disabled BAME LGBTQ+ gender-fluid elderly non-english speaker on parole required to join us to make up the numbers'.

Alternatively, "middle-aged European male alpha types need not apply, we have fulfilled our quota".

Splints and crutches do not solve problems but they can help you getting around while you do and a sturdy cast can guide the healing process.

On the other hand, people have a habit of playing the system and this area would be no different. We would still end up with winners and losers, just a slightly broader representation.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:43 am

shufflebeat wrote:
On the other hand, people have a habit of playing the system...

'Twas ever thus... in the last 20 years of my working-life (1990-2010) I was 'threatened' with legal action on the grounds of ageism/racism/gender-bias when people were not successful with their job applications. The ageism one was actually hilarious as we'd appointed someone who was older than the complainant! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:59 am

I do have a small confession: my A Level grades were just shy of what they needed to be to get to university and to this day I still suspect I got an unconditional acceptance because I was Deaf.

I never played the Deaf card of course, and it worked out for me so I can’t complain
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:41 pm

Returning to the O/P's point... I recall that not too long ago the BBC made provision for those who were deaf by having a signer present at a big staff presentation. When the signer arrived she/he asked where they should stand so that their signing could be seen. "Actually, no-one who's coming has indicated that they need a signing facility."

"OK; fair enough, I'll go. Just pay me the cancellation fee."

"No; we'd like you to stay and sign - otherwise it looks as though we're not inclusive." (or words to that effect.)

Having been a member of a BBC Regional Advisory Council at one point, I can't say that this story overly surprised me....
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:02 pm

OneWorld wrote:You make a good point there. I used to teach coding in various colleges and universities, and no matter what we tried, campaigns and initiatives run by the female lecturers, we only attracted a few women into coding.

By the time a young person reaches university age, it's simply way too late. Gender-based division of labor is likely established much earlier, and probably a result of a number of repeated stimuli and the implicit biases they generate. Like all such biases, they affect both people who suffer from them and people who do not.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby CS70 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:10 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Returning to the O/P's point... I recall that not too long ago the BBC made provision for those who were deaf by having a signer present at a big staff presentation. When the signer arrived she/he asked where they should stand so that their signing could be seen. "Actually, no-one who's coming has indicated that they need a signing facility."

"OK; fair enough, I'll go. Just pay me the cancellation fee."

"No; we'd like you to stay and sign - otherwise it looks as though we're not inclusive." (or words to that effect.)

Having been a member of a BBC Regional Advisory Council at one point, I can't say that this story overly surprised me....

Not sure what you mean by this story. Is the intended comment that it was wrong to hire a signer, or a waste of money?

In that case, I do not agree that it is.

Making provisions for people with physical handicaps should happen regardless whether or not they ask for it or not. That's because asking in itself can be a difficult thing, as it places the burden of action onto individuals who, for a number of completely unrelated reasons, may not be able to bear it. Think how difficult it is, for example, for people with mental health issues to do the obvious thing - ask for help.

If the objective is a level playing field , lots of provisions are "just in case" - and most often won't be actually used or necessary. A wheelchair-friendly pathway in the subway, for example, is used much more rarely than a regular one, because people in wheelchairs are much less than people with working legs. Having one is still right, innit?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

PreviousNext