You are here

A feisty one!

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

A feisty one!

Postby Wease » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:53 pm

The new head has really gone for it this issue..... not only has he allowed the dt dept not to redesign the app to be all ‘dynamic’ and ‘post-modern”.. .he’s had a right snap at all those collectors of vintage synths and basically told them to get their act together and stop being silly! Go on son!...
Wease
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Re: A feisty one!

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:10 pm

Bit too cryptic for me... are you referring to Sam's February Leader column perhaps?

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/vintage-vice
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 12,509 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Wease » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Yup.....it’s quite forward....but good......am still getting used to the new app...but that seams good also
Wease
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 pm

Beautifully written, yet some strong words indeed. Sam's final poetic sentence deserves some real applause:

"But if even a new Prophet can’t float your boat, perhaps inspiration has given way to rigid thinking — and passion has become nothing more than a fetish."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:34 pm

The new Prophet doesn't float my boat.

But neither does the old one.

Perhaps I'm an outlier..? :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:51 pm

I find myself in broad agreement.

I personally couldn't care less whether something is old, new, analogue, digital, in a box, or in a plug-in (and I have a mix of all those here) - if it helps me make my music I'll take it.

The best gear is invariably the one that helps make the connection between me and my audience.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 pm

The Elf wrote:The best gear is invariably the one that helps make the connection between me and my audience.

Another beautifully poetic reply ;)
Martin Walker

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:14 am

desmond wrote:The new Prophet doesn't float my boat.

I've never really been very religious.

Perhaps I'm a guitarist.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby CS70 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:16 am

Martin Walker wrote:Beautifully written, yet some strong words indeed. Sam's final poetic sentence deserves some real applause:

"But if even a new Prophet can’t float your boat, perhaps inspiration has given way to rigid thinking — and passion has become nothing more than a fetish."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Martin

Indeed! It's the aspect which has kept me for getting that 47... yet. Physical clients and studio recordings are on the low side with the pandemic, so I can't even apply the usual excuse (impressing the impressionable) .

On the other side, there's fun and we live just once, and if one as always rational there would be no Ferraris nor music. So I will probably get the mic, well aware that it will make a microscopic difference, if any, to my music and it will be just slightly different, not better.

But very well written by Sam, and wise.

I also commend the use of "shibboleth".
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Luke W » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:49 am

Just read the column, quite similar to my own feelings really. Something that makes me smile and winds me up in equal measures is people around my age and younger banging on about the "magic" of all this wonderful old gear that they've never actually had to put up with using to any extent, if at all. All whilst not stopping to think that a lot of the people who did use it every day would almost certainly trade limbs/organs for the sort of performance that you get out of even the most basic of modern kit.

I can only imagine the look you'd get from those engineers if you told them that one day computers would be so powerful that the entire studio could be built into one, and then told them that people were programming them to bring back some hiss :lol:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:53 am

desmond wrote:The new Prophet doesn't float my boat.

It’s all in the modulation.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:18 pm

Luke W wrote:Just read the column, quite similar to my own feelings really. Something that makes me smile and winds me up in equal measures is people around my age and younger banging on about the "magic" of all this wonderful old gear that they've never actually had to put up with using to any extent, if at all. All whilst not stopping to think that a lot of the people who did use it every day would almost certainly trade limbs/organs for the sort of performance that you get out of even the most basic of modern kit.

I can only imagine the look you'd get from those engineers if you told them that one day computers would be so powerful that the entire studio could be built into one, and then told them that people were programming them to bring back some hiss :lol:

Very well put! :clap: :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:51 pm

Perhaps I'm a guitarist.

Aren’t they even more zealous?
Paraphrased statements such as “I wouldn’t be caught dead with a Flying V / Epiphone / Mexican Fender etc “, “If you don’t have an original 1957 Fender Stratocaster (re-issues don’t count) complete with bare patches of wood and worn away frets then you’re not a serious guitarist”, “You use what gauge of strings? Amateur”, “You need to swap those pickups for active ones” or the reverse “You should never have got rid of those original Alnico pickups, what were you thinking?”......... :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Murray B » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:10 pm

MOF wrote:

Perhaps I'm a guitarist.

Aren’t they even more zealous?
Paraphrased statements such as “I wouldn’t be caught dead with a Flying V / Epiphone / Mexican Fender etc “, “If you don’t have an original 1957 Fender Stratocaster (re-issues don’t count) complete with bare patches of wood and worn away frets then you’re not a serious guitarist”, “You use what gauge of strings? Amateur”, “You need to swap those pickups for active ones” or the reverse “You should never have got rid of those original Alnico pickups, what were you thinking?”......... :lol:

As a guitarist (read obsessive guitar nerd) I can identify with all of the above, but I've been drawn into the defence of the evolution of a guitars tone with how the wood ages. I will however have very little opportunity to benefit from this property of a vintage instrument as a lot of the still playable old guitars are bought as investment pieces for stupid money. Fortunately I'm perfectly happy with my small collection of very well made bit of wood and take some solace in the idea that are maturing and improving at the same rate as me.

Although bits of them are wearing out and the trem arm groans involuntarily when it bends downwards.
Murray B
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:24 pm

Murray B wrote:Although bits of them are wearing out and the trem arm groans involuntarily when it bends downwards.
Are we talking about you or the guitar here? ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next