You are here

A feisty one!

Page 1 of 2

A feisty one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:53 pm
by Wease
The new head has really gone for it this issue..... not only has he allowed the dt dept not to redesign the app to be all ‘dynamic’ and ‘post-modern”.. .he’s had a right snap at all those collectors of vintage synths and basically told them to get their act together and stop being silly! Go on son!...

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:10 pm
by Forum Admin
Bit too cryptic for me... are you referring to Sam's February Leader column perhaps?

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/vintage-vice

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:23 pm
by Wease
Yup.....it’s quite forward....but good......am still getting used to the new app...but that seams good also

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 pm
by Martin Walker
Beautifully written, yet some strong words indeed. Sam's final poetic sentence deserves some real applause:

"But if even a new Prophet can’t float your boat, perhaps inspiration has given way to rigid thinking — and passion has become nothing more than a fetish."

:clap: :clap: :clap:


Martin

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:34 pm
by desmond
The new Prophet doesn't float my boat.

But neither does the old one.

Perhaps I'm an outlier..? :headbang:

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:51 pm
by The Elf
I find myself in broad agreement.

I personally couldn't care less whether something is old, new, analogue, digital, in a box, or in a plug-in (and I have a mix of all those here) - if it helps me make my music I'll take it.

The best gear is invariably the one that helps make the connection between me and my audience.

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 pm
by Martin Walker
The Elf wrote:The best gear is invariably the one that helps make the connection between me and my audience.

Another beautifully poetic reply ;)

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:14 am
by shufflebeat
desmond wrote:The new Prophet doesn't float my boat.

But neither does the old one.

Perhaps I'm an outlier..? :headbang:

I've never really been very religious.

Perhaps I'm a guitarist.

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:16 am
by CS70
Martin Walker wrote:Beautifully written, yet some strong words indeed. Sam's final poetic sentence deserves some real applause:

"But if even a new Prophet can’t float your boat, perhaps inspiration has given way to rigid thinking — and passion has become nothing more than a fetish."

:clap: :clap: :clap:


Martin

Indeed! It's the aspect which has kept me for getting that 47... yet. Physical clients and studio recordings are on the low side with the pandemic, so I can't even apply the usual excuse (impressing the impressionable) .

On the other side, there's fun and we live just once, and if one as always rational there would be no Ferraris nor music. So I will probably get the mic, well aware that it will make a microscopic difference, if any, to my music and it will be just slightly different, not better.

But very well written by Sam, and wise.

I also commend the use of "shibboleth".

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:49 am
by Luke W
Just read the column, quite similar to my own feelings really. Something that makes me smile and winds me up in equal measures is people around my age and younger banging on about the "magic" of all this wonderful old gear that they've never actually had to put up with using to any extent, if at all. All whilst not stopping to think that a lot of the people who did use it every day would almost certainly trade limbs/organs for the sort of performance that you get out of even the most basic of modern kit.

I can only imagine the look you'd get from those engineers if you told them that one day computers would be so powerful that the entire studio could be built into one, and then told them that people were programming them to bring back some hiss :lol:

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:53 am
by Arpangel
desmond wrote:The new Prophet doesn't float my boat.

But neither does the old one.

Perhaps I'm an outlier..? :headbang:

It’s all in the modulation.

:)

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:18 pm
by Mike Stranks
Luke W wrote:Just read the column, quite similar to my own feelings really. Something that makes me smile and winds me up in equal measures is people around my age and younger banging on about the "magic" of all this wonderful old gear that they've never actually had to put up with using to any extent, if at all. All whilst not stopping to think that a lot of the people who did use it every day would almost certainly trade limbs/organs for the sort of performance that you get out of even the most basic of modern kit.

I can only imagine the look you'd get from those engineers if you told them that one day computers would be so powerful that the entire studio could be built into one, and then told them that people were programming them to bring back some hiss :lol:

Very well put! :clap: :thumbup:

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:51 pm
by MOF
I've never really been very religious.

Perhaps I'm a guitarist.

Aren’t they even more zealous?
Paraphrased statements such as “I wouldn’t be caught dead with a Flying V / Epiphone / Mexican Fender etc “, “If you don’t have an original 1957 Fender Stratocaster (re-issues don’t count) complete with bare patches of wood and worn away frets then you’re not a serious guitarist”, “You use what gauge of strings? Amateur”, “You need to swap those pickups for active ones” or the reverse “You should never have got rid of those original Alnico pickups, what were you thinking?”......... :lol:

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:10 pm
by Murray B
MOF wrote:
I've never really been very religious.

Perhaps I'm a guitarist.

Aren’t they even more zealous?
Paraphrased statements such as “I wouldn’t be caught dead with a Flying V / Epiphone / Mexican Fender etc “, “If you don’t have an original 1957 Fender Stratocaster (re-issues don’t count) complete with bare patches of wood and worn away frets then you’re not a serious guitarist”, “You use what gauge of strings? Amateur”, “You need to swap those pickups for active ones” or the reverse “You should never have got rid of those original Alnico pickups, what were you thinking?”......... :lol:

As a guitarist (read obsessive guitar nerd) I can identify with all of the above, but I've been drawn into the defence of the evolution of a guitars tone with how the wood ages. I will however have very little opportunity to benefit from this property of a vintage instrument as a lot of the still playable old guitars are bought as investment pieces for stupid money. Fortunately I'm perfectly happy with my small collection of very well made bit of wood and take some solace in the idea that are maturing and improving at the same rate as me.

Although bits of them are wearing out and the trem arm groans involuntarily when it bends downwards.

Re: A feisty one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:24 pm
by blinddrew
Murray B wrote:Although bits of them are wearing out and the trem arm groans involuntarily when it bends downwards.
Are we talking about you or the guitar here? ;)