You are here

SOS app not working on Pixel 5/Android 11 (fixed)

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

SOS app not working on Pixel 5/Android 11 (fixed)

Postby Alperian » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:19 pm

Hi. I am using a new Google Pixel 5 running Android 11.

Just downloaded the app, but it won't start.

[See later solution; install v14.1 - Forum Admin]
Alperian
Poster

Re: SOS app not working.

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:41 pm

1) Try turning it off and on again
2) Install any pending updates
3) Uninstall and reinstall

Disclaimer: I don't have a compatible device and have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm just killing time waiting for the iPad Mini 2 I ordered to turn up so I can read the latest issue.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:02 pm

Worth trying the suggestions above. It runs fine on my Samsung S9 phone running Android 10.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Alperian » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:41 pm

Thanks for your suggestions chaps. I have done all that. Won't start.

My phone also just updated 'Android System Webview' again (which your app may or may not rely heavily on) , so I was hoping that might fix it, but no. It didn't.

BTW All I see is a flash of the splash screen (logo on black background) for a fraction of a sec.
Alperian
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Hmmm. Weird. I don't think there have been other reports concerning android 11, so it's probably best to submit a support ticket through the SOS support portal.

https://www.soundonsound.com/help/sos-app/app-support
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Alperian » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:23 pm

Thanks Hugh.

Probably not so weird as Google Pixels get all the updates/upgrades before anyone else.
Alperian
Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:29 pm

BJG145 wrote: I'm just killing time waiting for the iPad Mini 2 I ordered to turn up so I can read the latest issue.

Yay, finally got there. Heard someone rattling the letterbox this morning and arrived at the door in time to grab the new/old iPad which had been shoved halfway through, engaging in a brief but victorious tug-of-war with the postman to prevent the thinly-wrapped device from smashing on the floor tiles.

Just spend about half an hour battling with Apple's multi-factor authentication to get the thing up and running, and have the latest issue in my hands.

My views on the new App? I'm just grateful to be able to read the thing at all. I'm sure it's great. :thumbup:

*edit*

Wow....it's amazing to be able to turn it into landscape mode and pinch-zoom Sam's editorial photo on the new Retina screen. :clap:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby bhuddell » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:59 pm

Just a quick me too. Android 11 on a Samsung s20. Get a quick look at the splash screen and the app closes immediately.
bhuddell

Re: SOS app not working on Pixel 5/Android 11.

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:24 pm

Checked and our app developers say they are encountering issues on certain Android smartphones running v11. They are looking into a fix but how fast that will become available to us for testing, we simply cannot tell.

So sorry to have raised your excitement level by our "now on smartphones" tag line, if it is not working on your particular model. It's bringing pleasure to some phone users at least.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 12,352 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Alperian » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:26 pm

So sorry to have raised your excitement level by our "now on smartphones" tag line,

Bless, that is so British. We have forgiven you (I can't speak for anyone else of course).

Just to let you know that Android 12 arrives in 2021 Q2, so better get a spurt on.
Alperian
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:32 pm

Sadly, the platform compatibility aspect is beyond our control. We provide the content, but the app itself is developed by a separate company. All we can do is pass on any feedback from users with issues -- like the apparent Android 11 issue reported here -- and stamp our feet a bit! ;-)
Hugh Robjohns

SOS Android v14.1 app update

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:44 pm

We've just released for Android users only, a v14.1 app update that may or may not work with your Android 11 device. (It may take a few hours to show up on your country's Google Play Store - search for Sound On Sound app.)

To be utterly frank, it is impossible for us to personally test every Google tablet and phone combination so we rely on the App developer company's statement, but what tests we have done with users has worked... sort of.

It works but the issue download can stall, sometimes, so you need to go back to the front cover and tap it again to get the final part of the download; then it works.

Not perfect but better than Android 11 not working at all.

@Alperian - please try installing v14.1 and letting us know how you got on.
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:57 pm

To clarify...

Some reviewers on the Google Play Store are criticising the app because all back issues are not available. This is only applicable to Phone app users.

Tablet app users do indeed have back issues that go back to January 2012, in the old format, but from November 2020 or newer issues they use a different format (HTML5) which is the only reason they are visible on their smartphone.

There are no plans to remake all past tablet issues to work on smartphones -- this can only be done whilst we are in production of a new issue, and because we started development testing from the November 2020 issue, that is why these back issues are available to smartphone users as well.

November 2020 is unlocked and free to everyone, on Tablet and on Phone, deliberately to allow smartphone newcomers to try out the phone app and decide if they wish to subscribe or buy in-app single issues going forwards.
Forum Admin

Re: SOS Android v14.1 app update

Postby Alperian » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:14 pm

Forum Admin wrote:@Alperian - please try installing v14.1 and letting us know how you got on.

Yes. It is working splendidly thank you!
Alperian
Poster

Re: SOS Android v14.1 app update

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:43 pm

Alperian wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:@Alperian - please try installing v14.1 and letting us know how you got on.

Yes. It is working splendidly thank you!

That's good to know. :thumbup:
Forum Admin