You are here

Android App - Unable to Access Content

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Android App - Unable to Access Content

Postby modena2904 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:56 am

I'm a current Print+Web subscriber (US edition) and have been for almost 11 years.

I recently installed the SoS Android app (v 5.5.1). After logging in, I'm able to access only a small number of back issues, specifically Jan 2016, Jan 2013, Sept 2012, and Jan-April 2012. All the rest show a price (including the current issue, March 2018).

The following text appears at the top of the app window: "You are logged in. However, if you cannot download all of the issues covered by your subscription, please go to the top left menu and Restore Purchases." Unfortunately, my app has no such menu item.

The app text also states, "If you still see a price rather than a download icon contact SOS support, http://www.soundonsound.com/support" target="phpbbpopup. I did that a week ago, but so far no response.

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks.

- Eric
modena2904

Re: Android App - Unable to Access Content

Postby zenguitar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 am

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the forums, and sorry that you haven't had a response to your request for support.

We've had some issues with late winter weather here in the UK, nothing that would cause problems in countries that have proper winters but because we rarely have proper winters we lack the infrastructure in the UK to cope :headbang:

However, whether or not that is the reason for you not getting a response, I've emailed details of this post to someone who will make sure it is seen in the morning.

I am sure this is something that can be resolved for you and, once again, sorry you have had this problem.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby modena2904 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:24 am

Andy, thanks for the assistance. I'll look forward to hearing back.

- Eric
modena2904

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 am

Hi Eric
Quick check of your account reveals all your previous and current subs were Print+Web types so no access to tablet issues, except the ‘free’ trial ones.

We only merged the tablet sub and web sub in mid-2017, so I will upgrade your most recent 12-issue period shortly.

The Digital sub unlocks all Web articles but past issue tablet editions have to be bought individually.

Hope this helps?
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,310 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:40 am

You should now have access to tablet issues from June 2017 till current issue if you log out of the SOS App and then sign in again using your SOS account email + SOS password.

Sorry you had to wait. Our webmaster has been on holiday (he usually responds to such support tickets) and his backup (me) has been focused on getting past articles onto our site.
Forum Admin

Postby modena2904 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm

That did the trick! Thank you. I didn't realize that web and tablet used to be separate prior to mid-2017.

BTW, the tablet format is great -- a very "magazine-like" experience.

- Eric
modena2904

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Glad it solved your problem. Glad you like the App - a lot of thought went into its layout. And our graphics team hand-make the layouts every issue. Just having a PDF 'page' reproduction of the mag isn't good enough for us.

Yes, we're happy to make available the tablet issues that fall into the current subs period of Web-only and Print+Web subs readers, and because we own and control the Web format articles, we can operate our longstanding policy of unlocking the previous content. But when it comes to tablet issues we cannot...

Why? Because only Apple and Google stores can sell in-app individual issues, and if we gave them away for free, we'd still have to pay them their high commission (they handle the VAT on in-apps purchases too). And that's just not economical for us to do.
Forum Admin