You are here

SOS Tablet App Update

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

SOS Tablet App Update

Postby Paul Gilby » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:39 am

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Calling all SOS Tablet Edition Customers
The Sound On Sound tablet App for iPad and Android is being updated in December.

The new App operates in the same way and includes the same features such as embedded audio, video clips and scrolling images, but now our new app technology will give us scope to introduce even more features in the coming months.

What’s New

• Read the Sound On Sound App on up to five devices whether iPad, Android or a combination of both.
  • Improved download speed
  • Improved Android stability
  • New app will allow us to introduce further features in 2017

What You Need To Do

From 22nd December onwards you’ll need to install the new app to continue reading SOS.
Go to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to download the update.
Note: this will overwrite all of the issues currently downloaded onto your tablet. See our App Update information page for full details of what to do.

Back Issue Access

During this transition period between the old and new app, there will be a temporary loss of back issues published before 2016.
January to December 2016 issues will be available from 22nd December and we’ll be adding all of the previous issues as fast as we can throughout early 2017.

No Worries

Any single-issue purchases or issues covered by your subscription that seem to have disappeared will reappear for download in early 2017. You won’t permanently lose anything and as a customer, you will be entitled to download the issue for free once it’s re-published.

See our App Update information page for full details and a list of FAQs.
http://www.soundonsound.com/information/app-update

Thank you for reading Sound On Sound.

Regards
SOS Subscription Department
Paul Gilby

Re: SOS Tablet App Update

Postby Chet Leeway » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:45 am

:thumbup:
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Paul Gilby wrote:Thank you for reading Sound On Sound.

Regards
SOS Subscription Department

Hei Paul, will it still be compatible with the first version of ipad?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:28 pm

I'm afraid not. Apple have rendered the first iPad obsolete because they only allow apps which are compatible with the latest versions of iOS (iOS 9 and up), which the iPad 1 can't use.

I'm in the same boat as you, and deeply frustrated at having to ditch a perfectly serviceable tablet... but it was inevitable. I'll be trying the Android version. :-)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Rats!

I finally just succumbed and bought myself an ancient iPad as a JP-80 editor and to read the mag on! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wease » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:56 pm

You can still read the the mag on the web with your old iPad one. So no need to panic completely!! (But yes, tech becomes obsolete quicker each year it seems!!)

How much did you pay for an ipad 1 btw elf?.....just curious like .....didn't think they still existed even in second hand form!
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:54 pm

It's a 16GB iPad2. I paid 30 quid.

I really have no interest in iPads as a serious tool, but for that money it seemed worth it as a synth editor and mag reader.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wease » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:46 am

Ahh well you'll have no problem with the new SOS app....it's only the really old iPad 1 that's affected..... if I'm reading the original post right! :headbang:

iPad isn't a bad reader, and alright (although sometime limited) web browser....and if you use Logic then Logic Remote is quite good actually.... so a bit of a bargain actually elf I think.... good show!
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm in the same boat as you, and deeply frustrated at having to ditch a perfectly serviceable tablet...

Me too, Hugh. I use my Mk1 iPad for iBooks PDF manuals, Sudoku and little else these days.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:11 am

FYI...

The iPad 2 and iPad 3, the iPad mini 1 can run iOS 9, but they can't run iOS 10. To run iOS 10 you'll need an iPad 4 or later or an iPad mini 2 or later, or an iPadPro.
Forum Admin

Postby Kevin Nolan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Please make back issues available rapidly in early 2017 as you indicate - I'm reading a large thread of articles on Logic and Ableton going back 3 years - so the loss of all issues and then having to get them again is inconvenient in the first instance, but hugely problematic if they are not available of any length of time.

Also - I currently cannot buy the December issue of SOS on my iPad - it only offers a yearly subscription - have you removed the option to buy individual issues ?

Thanks,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:39 am

Kevin Nolan wrote:Please make back issues available rapidly in early 2017 as you indicate - I'm reading a large thread of articles on Logic and Ableton going back 3 years - so the loss of all issues and then having to get them again is inconvenient in the first instance, but hugely problematic if they are not available of any length of time.

Appreciate your concerns Kevin, but past issue articles are always free to read in Web format (apart from the latest 5 subscriber-only web issues) and individual PDF articles can be purchased if you desperately need offline access. January 2016 to January 2017 tablet issues will all be available in the new App from 22 December, when January 2017 new issue goes live.

Also - I currently cannot buy the December issue of SOS on my iPad - it only offers a yearly subscription - have you removed the option to buy individual issues ?

AFAIK we haven't disabled in-app purchases on the (old) iPad App, so try removing the old app and reinstalling the current iTunes version? ...or wait until 22 December and install the new App and then buy December 2016 in-app issue?
Forum Admin

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:18 pm

I subscribe to the iPad version of SOS but find I don't read it. It just doesn't suit me for some reason, I would be much happier if I could subscribe to a monthly .pdf download of the mag which I could read on any of my devices.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Kevin Nolan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:Please make back issues available rapidly in early 2017 as you indicate - I'm reading a large thread of articles on Logic and Ableton going back 3 years - so the loss of all issues and then having to get them again is inconvenient in the first instance, but hugely problematic if they are not available of any length of time.

Appreciate your concerns Kevin, but past issue articles are always free to read in Web format (apart from the latest 5 subscriber-only web issues) and individual PDF articles can be purchased if you desperately need offline access. January 2016 to January 2017 tablet issues will all be available in the new App from 22 December, when January 2017 new issue goes live.

OK - but we're buying the iPad edition. I have articles primed to read on the iPad - not on the web. I realise you're doing an upgrade but I'm urging you not to inconvenience your paying customers. What sort of time frame are you talking about before past issues will be available for download again - are we talking weeks or months?

Forum Admin wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:Also - I currently cannot buy the December issue of SOS on my iPad - it only offers a yearly subscription - have you removed the option to buy individual issues ?

AFAIK we haven't disabled in-app purchases on the (old) iPad App, so try removing the old app and reinstalling the current iTunes version? ...or wait until 22 December and install the new App and then buy December 2016 in-app issue?

sorry - you've completely lost me here. I use the SOS iPad application in Newsreader - not in iTunes. Why can't I buy the December issue - I've done nothing to my iPad. Could you explain what the iTunes version is - I'm not clear on what that is. Thanks.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Paul Gilby » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:00 pm

We don’t wish to inconvenience our tablet edition customers but the need to change from one authoring system to a new one came about at short notice.

The guys in our graphics dept have had to put a lot of time into this migration as well as getting the Christmas issue magazine to press. Late Nov and Dec are really tough months production wise, as the Christmas break across the industry means we have a lot less working days.

As for when all of the back issues will be restored. It’s going to be a matter of weeks but we can’t predict exactly when. We’ll be working back in chronological order and will publish the issues as they are processed.

re your Dec issue problem and our suggestion.
What we’re saying is that we have not changed anything yet and you should be able to see and download the Dec issue. However, if you can’t we suggest you remove the app and go back to the iTunes App Store and download a fresh version of the app and restore your issues. Hope that makes sense.
BTW. check you have enough memory left on your iPad before trying to download more issues.
Paul Gilby

Next