You are here

SOS Tablet App Update

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Re: SOS Tablet App Update

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:sorry - you've completely lost me here. I use the SOS iPad application in Newsreader - not in iTunes. Why can't I buy the December issue - I've done nothing to my iPad. Could you explain what the iTunes version is - I'm not clear on what that is. Thanks.

Apologies for the terminology confusion, Kevin. By 'iTunes' I was referring to the App Store (all apps used to be available from the iTunes Music Store until Apple hived off the apps part and renamed it, and gave it its own App on their devices).
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,112 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Kevin Nolan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the issues. On a personal note I had just embarked on a plan to read all relevant (to me) Logic and Ableton notes over the past two years or so to update my knowledge.

Re buying the December issue - the app seems fine otherwise - I can buy any past issue I haven't already bought - I see a "£4.99" button to press for any such issue s- but for the December 2016 issue there are just two buttons - "View" and "Subscribe". I have 24GB on my iPad free - so there definitely seems to be nothing wrong with my Newsstand SOS app, my capacity to buy even recent issues or with space in my iPad Air - jut your December issue not offering a buy option.

Cheers,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 pm

Just to let you know - I deleted and reinstalled the SOS app in my iPad Air and I still cannot buy the December issue!

SOS - Realise you feel you're doing everything you can - but frankly - your whole iPad strategy and new web site are a mess. They are annoying, incomplete, and a pale shadow of their former selves (especially your web site and loss of article archive).

Not quite sure what you're trying to achieve - but it ain't working!
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster
Kevin Nolan,KNECT.
http://www.knect.ie

Postby Rob Collins » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Did the update yesterday on my ipad in order to access January 2017 issue. However , it now shows i have to pay for Decembers and Novembers issues ( the issues before november i can still download free as part of my subscription)

Any ideas welcome !
Rob Collins
Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Did you log in? I saw prices on the issues until I re-logged in.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby zenguitar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:03 pm

The Elf is correct. I spotted this when I tested the new app and the FAQs were updated to remind users to sign in.

Just go to the top right of the screen and open the menu, then select the sign in option.

I've found the new app to be a lot faster when navigating the tablet magazine.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:23 pm

I read SOS in safari with no complaints here.
My iPad holder sits in landscape mode and the app only does portrait mode. I hope one day the app will work in both. The majority of iPad holders I looked at can't support the iPad vertically so I assume I am not the only one who would appreciate landscape mode.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rob Collins » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:28 pm

The Elf wrote:Did you log in? I saw prices on the issues until I re-logged in.

Yes i did
Rob Collins
Poster

Postby artzmusic » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks Paul, I was anxious to see this working again as I may have some quiet reading time coming up, which is rare. The new app seems to work just fine on Android 6.0.1.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby Dan LB » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:17 am

Rob Collins wrote:Did the update yesterday on my ipad in order to access January 2017 issue. However , it now shows i have to pay for Decembers and Novembers issues ( the issues before november i can still download free as part of my subscription)

Any ideas welcome !

+1 same issue here except it wants me to pay for Dec, Nov, Oct and Sept issues even though I have bought them already. Hadn't finished reading them either so a little miffed for the moment.

Yes I'm logged in and yes I've deleted the app and reinstalled it. Jan 2017 issue has been downloaded as part of my subscription with no problems whatsoever.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Fivehands » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:07 am

I realize that you must be hard at work trying to improve the new reading app. But I don't see any improvements from the old one right now. I've lost the scroll bar at the bottom to scroll through the mag pages. I've lost "pinch and zoom". Zooming was iffy in the old reader too where I had to find a workaround on certain pages for it to work, but now I can't zoom at all. Just wondering if I'm missing something here. Also the app crashes, it reaches a certain page in the January issue and then I'm right out and back on desktop. As a workaround I just go to "Contents" and pick an article I want to read.
Fivehands
Fivehands

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Sorry about any issues such as these, but hopefully this reply from our New Media Director Paul Gilby will explain the current situation a little more clearly:

Paul Gilby wrote:We don’t wish to inconvenience our tablet edition customers but the need to change from one authoring system to a new one came about at short notice.

The guys in our graphics dept have had to put a lot of time into this migration as well as getting the Christmas issue magazine to press. Late Nov and Dec are really tough months production wise, as the Christmas break across the industry means we have a lot less working days.

As for when all of the back issues will be restored. It’s going to be a matter of weeks but we can’t predict exactly when. We’ll be working back in chronological order and will publish the issues as they are processed.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby horacewimp » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:45 pm

i deleted the app, reinstalled it, restarted ipad, restored purchases etc... but without any success. All my issues from 2015 and 2016 are gone - the only issues i can download are the free 1/2016 and the new 1/2017 one.
What else can i do ?
I contacted the SOS-support a few times, but except some confirmation emails i didnt get any answers.
Does anyone else here still have the same problems ?
A happy new year & thanks
Helfried
horacewimp

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Have you logged in to your account from the menu?

This link includes instructions on how to sign in.

http://www.soundonsound.com/information ... ubscribers

SOS is a very small organisation, staff have only just returned from the Christmas and New Year break and I am sure they are working through the support tickets as quickly as possible.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby horacewimp » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:48 pm

I logged in from the menu.
I remember I bought my subscription from the IOS appstore two years ago, but i can only log in with my SOS-account here - this is strange. When trying to log in with apple-ID and password i get "invalid login details".
And after logging in my with SOS-account i have no issues here except the two from janaury 16 + 17.
horacewimp

PreviousNext