You are here

SOS Tablet App Update

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Re: SOS Tablet App Update

Postby zenguitar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:03 pm

The Elf is correct. I spotted this when I tested the new app and the FAQs were updated to remind users to sign in.

Just go to the top right of the screen and open the menu, then select the sign in option.

I've found the new app to be a lot faster when navigating the tablet magazine.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:23 pm

I read SOS in safari with no complaints here.
My iPad holder sits in landscape mode and the app only does portrait mode. I hope one day the app will work in both. The majority of iPad holders I looked at can't support the iPad vertically so I assume I am not the only one who would appreciate landscape mode.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rob Collins » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:28 pm

The Elf wrote:Did you log in? I saw prices on the issues until I re-logged in.

Yes i did
Rob Collins
Poster

Postby artzmusic » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks Paul, I was anxious to see this working again as I may have some quiet reading time coming up, which is rare. The new app seems to work just fine on Android 6.0.1.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby Dan LB » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:17 am

Rob Collins wrote:Did the update yesterday on my ipad in order to access January 2017 issue. However , it now shows i have to pay for Decembers and Novembers issues ( the issues before november i can still download free as part of my subscription)

Any ideas welcome !

+1 same issue here except it wants me to pay for Dec, Nov, Oct and Sept issues even though I have bought them already. Hadn't finished reading them either so a little miffed for the moment.

Yes I'm logged in and yes I've deleted the app and reinstalled it. Jan 2017 issue has been downloaded as part of my subscription with no problems whatsoever.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Fivehands » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:07 am

I realize that you must be hard at work trying to improve the new reading app. But I don't see any improvements from the old one right now. I've lost the scroll bar at the bottom to scroll through the mag pages. I've lost "pinch and zoom". Zooming was iffy in the old reader too where I had to find a workaround on certain pages for it to work, but now I can't zoom at all. Just wondering if I'm missing something here. Also the app crashes, it reaches a certain page in the January issue and then I'm right out and back on desktop. As a workaround I just go to "Contents" and pick an article I want to read.
Fivehands
Fivehands

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Sorry about any issues such as these, but hopefully this reply from our New Media Director Paul Gilby will explain the current situation a little more clearly:

Paul Gilby wrote:We don’t wish to inconvenience our tablet edition customers but the need to change from one authoring system to a new one came about at short notice.

The guys in our graphics dept have had to put a lot of time into this migration as well as getting the Christmas issue magazine to press. Late Nov and Dec are really tough months production wise, as the Christmas break across the industry means we have a lot less working days.

As for when all of the back issues will be restored. It’s going to be a matter of weeks but we can’t predict exactly when. We’ll be working back in chronological order and will publish the issues as they are processed.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby horacewimp » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:45 pm

i deleted the app, reinstalled it, restarted ipad, restored purchases etc... but without any success. All my issues from 2015 and 2016 are gone - the only issues i can download are the free 1/2016 and the new 1/2017 one.
What else can i do ?
I contacted the SOS-support a few times, but except some confirmation emails i didnt get any answers.
Does anyone else here still have the same problems ?
A happy new year & thanks
Helfried
horacewimp

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Have you logged in to your account from the menu?

This link includes instructions on how to sign in.

http://www.soundonsound.com/information ... ubscribers

SOS is a very small organisation, staff have only just returned from the Christmas and New Year break and I am sure they are working through the support tickets as quickly as possible.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby horacewimp » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:48 pm

I logged in from the menu.
I remember I bought my subscription from the IOS appstore two years ago, but i can only log in with my SOS-account here - this is strange. When trying to log in with apple-ID and password i get "invalid login details".
And after logging in my with SOS-account i have no issues here except the two from janaury 16 + 17.
horacewimp

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:01 pm

I am sure that the support staff will get this resolved for you.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby SmallHollow » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:09 pm

I have exactly the same problem as horacewimp: only 1/2017 and 1/2016 can be downloaded (without paying 4,99 €) and I also have bought the subscription from iOS App Store about two years ago. Cannot login, restoring won't work.

I contacted support but they directed me this page: http://www.soundonsound.com/information/app-update.

I hope this problem will be fixed as I hadn't quite finished reading the previous issues yet.

Esa
SmallHollow

Postby ThSve » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:57 pm

I have the exact same problem as horacewimp. I got a reply today from support stating that the problem was solved and a link to the faq. I have just replied that at least for me the problem is still there. And just as horacewimp Im only able to log in with my SOS credentials.
ThSve

Postby Paul Gilby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 pm

Hello All.

We appreciate that many people are experiencing problems accessing back issues related to their subscription. We have been working through a backlog of support queries which built up over Xmas and have now identified a common problem which should now enable us to find a fix. Unfortunately, we need to get our third-party app provider and Apple involved and it seems they are also playing Xmas catch up so we're awaiting replies from them both.
I'll post here again as soon as I have an update. Hopefully some time on Weds 4th.
Regards
Paul Gilby.
Paul Gilby

Postby Paul Gilby » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:37 pm

A further update to yesterday.
Following contact today via email and telephone with several helpful tablet subscribers, we have identified that it's subscribers who purchased direct from Apple who are suffering the most. Direct SOS subscribers have had few problems and those that did just needed to reboot their device.

Apple subscribers still have the problem but we need our app developer to fix it and they are not back from their Christmas closedown until Monday 9th.
In the meantime we have 'fudged' the system and made 12 of the 13 past issues free of charge. (Feb 2016 is still indicating payment is required). This seems to have given Apple subscribers access so it's some kind of temporary solution until we sort out the bigger problem.

If you still can't see all 13 months in your library, please delete and re-install the app again. Launch it and wait for the screen to re-populate. Make sure you are signed into your iTunes device account with your Apple ID (see SETTINGS > iTunes & App Store on your iPad).
Note you should not have to sign into the app itself unless you are a direct SOS subscriber.

I'll continue to update this thread as I get more news.
Paul Gilby

Postby Andi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Hey folks. 2 questions (also sent to support). I'm using the app on Android 5.0.1.

1) should I/can I delete the issues that I'd already downloaded to my device with the older app - they take-up quite a lot of space.

2) I seem to have lost the ability to choose whether to save my local copies to the internal or external storage on my device?

Thanks

Andi
Andi
Frequent Poster
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

Postby Paul Gilby » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Andi,
We've just updated the Android app to v5.1.52 so please install ASAP.
There have been a number of bugs turning up over the past week so this release should fix them.
I'm not that familiar with how different Android tablet work but I would always recommend a clean install. Delete the current app, do a hard re-boot and then go to the PlayStore and download a fresh app.

Again, I'm not familiar enough with Android storage options but I'm not aware of our app giving any choice itself.
Paul Gilby

Postby Paul Gilby » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:01 pm

** ANNOUNCEMENT **

We have now updated both the iPad and Android apps and fixed a number of bugs. We've also re-published some of the 2016 issues to address page crashes. This seem to happen on older devices with slower processors and less RAM. Pages that contain large images were too much of a challenge so they crashed. We've gone back and reduced the filesize of some images to improve the performance.

iPad iOS app now v5.1.5

Android OS app now v5.1.52

Any problems let us know.
Paul Gilby

Postby Andi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Hey Paul. Sorry for the tardy reply. I'm running the latest app, issues are downloading to internal storage although my download default in Android is SD card. The later versions of the previous app had an option to select internal or external storage, I still have now orphaned files on my SD card.

Andi
Andi
Frequent Poster
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

Postby Donald » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:44 am

On Android tablet I can't zoom and I can't log-in to the app on my android phone (where I previously been able to zoom). It just goes back to the login screen. No problem to log-in to tablet or on the web.

Tablet: Nexus 7 with Android 6.0.1
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 Android 7.0

This has been an ongoing issue since your major update at the beginning of 2017. I have reported this to your support-email.

It would be nice to be able to read SOS on my my tablet and/or my phone soon. Right now they are both useless. Apple products is not an option for me.
Donald
Poster

PreviousNext