You are here

Displaying images

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Re: Displaying images

Postby CS70 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:38 pm

By any chance, does this work?

CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Yes. I can see a four blokes and three geeetars... ;-)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Yes. I can see a four blokes and three geeetars... ;-)

H

Haha, yours truly being one of the blokes, from a band photoshoot couple weeks back.
Getting older, darn. :D

The trick is is to obtain the regular "Dropbox link" (not the "Public link") and change it to tell the system to download it - that is, from ?dl=0 to ?dl=1

So the link I get for the picture above is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfkw38w307p6t ... a.jpg?dl=0

and I change to

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfkw38w307p6t ... 3a.jpg?dl=1

The pic is still in my public folder but now that folder is like any other. However, this being a regular share link, it should hopefully be stable.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks - yes, I've seen the dl parameter trick before, interesting that it seems to be working since they turned the html rendering off some weeks back.

I don't know how long it will last but it seems it's worth experimenting with in the meantime - thanks for this.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:59 pm

desmond wrote:Thanks - yes, I've seen the dl parameter trick before, interesting that it seems to be working since they turned the html rendering off some weeks back.

I don't know how long it will last but it seems it's worth experimenting with in the meantime - thanks for this.

My guess is that it doesn't produce HTML (that would be the download=0 switch) but simply redirects or streams the content, with the HTML wrapper produced by HTTP client (if so it decides). If you use the download=1 version in Chrome, it downloads the file just like for any file stream.

For this specific request I can see the HTTP handler on the server is using the Location HTTP header to redirect the client to an actual content location (calling the same handler, the second time it knows the file is really there so streams it).

The SOS site client code seems to be happy to recognize the jpeg stream and create the HTML wrapper instead.

These links should be pretty solid as if one needs to share a link the server _must_ allow download the content at some point (that's unlike the public folder, which was deprecated long time ago). Of course dont know for sure since I don't have the Dropbox http handler code.

In a middle of a mixing section (damn bass line need attention) so can't really dig much but fun to look at this stuff in the breaks.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:20 pm

Oh! FFS!
I always had trouble posting pictures into forums (except those that allow attachments) but now it seems I have to be a *&^g programmer to do it!

I had Dropbox for a while to send files to my son in France when they are too big to attach. But I found it very intrusive and kept the CPU running all the time. Now I just post him a USB stick! In theory he dumps the data and sends it back...Ha! Kids!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:36 pm

ef37a wrote:I had Dropbox for a while to send files to my son in France when they are too big to attach. But I found it very intrusive and kept the CPU running all the time.

I don't see that behaviour here, but I don't have the Dropbox client running all the time anyway, I just run it when I want running.

You don't have to use it at all, just use the website to upload and download if you don't need the syncing features...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:00 am

H

I can see five blokes and four geetars.... :lol:
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Always cut towards your mate 

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:58 am

desmond wrote:
ef37a wrote:I had Dropbox for a while to send files to my son in France when they are too big to attach. But I found it very intrusive and kept the CPU running all the time.

I don't see that behaviour here, but I don't have the Dropbox client running all the time anyway, I just run it when I want running.

You don't have to use it at all, just use the website to upload and download if you don't need the syncing features...

Well, #If there's a wrong way to do it# ! In any case, son often only has internet access in cafés and my 0.8M uplink speed makes the whole exercise a bit impractical, I'll keep buying sticks.
BTW, a few weeks ago Sainsburys were selling a Scandisc drive that doubled for USB 3.0 and micro USB for tablets. 32G for £11.00. Mistake? Sent son one and I had one. Within the week they had gone up to £30.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:29 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:

H

Well spotted! :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm

CS70 wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:

H

Well spotted! :D
Hmm. I didn't see any spots :wave:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:09 pm

ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:52 pm

No dice.
Well, not in the thread, but the link works.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:57 am

blinddrew wrote:No dice.
Well, not in the thread, but the link works.

Yes, my result as well so, if you have an image already in the public domain we can link to it. That will do 95% of the time ?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:38 pm

I just used the above link, but posted it between the SOS Forums Img tags

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:08 pm

This one seems to work well as an image host that you can upload images and directly link to them.

http://tinypic.com/

It's the service they use for the VintageSynth forums and they've integrated it as an option in the forum, so when posting you can upload an image there and copy the link into the post body without leaving the posting form.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:32 pm

desmond wrote:I don't know how long it will last but it seems it's worth experimenting with in the meantime - thanks for this.

I'll make a guess: September.

I can still post images via Dropbox in the old way but that's because I've got a "pro" account (i.e. I pay money for it) and direct linking to images for such accounts runs out of steam from September. I think they've not actually removed the functionality yet because of the pro accounts, just changed the string you get when you right click on a file in the Public folder. However, once they turn off the functionality for everyone then I would expect this rather neat hack to go too.

I have my own domain with associated space so I am going over to using that, but what with having to ftp files onto my server then determine the correct link etc it's just not as easy as with Dropbox. :madas:

Incidentally, someone mentioned Photobucket. According to an article on The Register Photobucket will continue to allow you to direct link to images but will start charging you $400 for the privilege. Hmmm. The article is here.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:58 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I can still post images via Dropbox in the old way but that's because I've got a "pro" account (i.e. I pay money for it) and direct linking to images for such accounts runs out of steam from September.

Ah, I see, that makes sense - I knew they'd turned it off for regular accounts and pro users had a little while longer before they changed it there as well.

ConcertinaChap wrote:I have my own domain with associated space so I am going over to using that, but what with having to ftp files onto my server then determine the correct link etc it's just not as easy as with Dropbox. :madas:

Yep - it also means you are responsible for the bandwidth and anonymity is harder when you use your own space...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby adrian_k » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:30 am

Test - trying to use imgur but not quite understanding how it works...

adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:32 am

Hasn't loaded for me.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next