You are here

Displaying images

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Re: Displaying images

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:32 pm

desmond wrote:I don't know how long it will last but it seems it's worth experimenting with in the meantime - thanks for this.

I'll make a guess: September.

I can still post images via Dropbox in the old way but that's because I've got a "pro" account (i.e. I pay money for it) and direct linking to images for such accounts runs out of steam from September. I think they've not actually removed the functionality yet because of the pro accounts, just changed the string you get when you right click on a file in the Public folder. However, once they turn off the functionality for everyone then I would expect this rather neat hack to go too.

I have my own domain with associated space so I am going over to using that, but what with having to ftp files onto my server then determine the correct link etc it's just not as easy as with Dropbox. :madas:

Incidentally, someone mentioned Photobucket. According to an article on The Register Photobucket will continue to allow you to direct link to images but will start charging you $400 for the privilege. Hmmm. The article is here.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:58 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I can still post images via Dropbox in the old way but that's because I've got a "pro" account (i.e. I pay money for it) and direct linking to images for such accounts runs out of steam from September.

Ah, I see, that makes sense - I knew they'd turned it off for regular accounts and pro users had a little while longer before they changed it there as well.

ConcertinaChap wrote:I have my own domain with associated space so I am going over to using that, but what with having to ftp files onto my server then determine the correct link etc it's just not as easy as with Dropbox. :madas:

Yep - it also means you are responsible for the bandwidth and anonymity is harder when you use your own space...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby adrian_k » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:30 am

Test - trying to use imgur but not quite understanding how it works...

adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:32 am

Hasn't loaded for me.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby adrian_k » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 am

Nor me! Not quite sure what is happening.. I uploaded an image to imgur, copied the link, pasted into the forum [img] tag. Nada.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:46 am

You are linking to the page it's displayed on, not the image itself.

Right click on the image in imgur, select 'save image location' (if using windows), then paste between the [img ] markers. Like this:

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby adrian_k » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:53 am

Aha, thanks Wonks - that's one beer I owe you. Hope you are keeping count because before this project is over I can see that being many more.....
cheers
Adrian
adrian_k
Frequent Poster

Previous