You are here

Soundcloud, catch 22

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Soundcloud, catch 22

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:55 am

NOT! A problem with SoS I understand but, where else to go?

I have forgotten my password. No problem, request a reset. Trouble is the email comes back from Soundcloud as a blank page.

I have found others with this problem but you cannot even log into SC community to ask!

Why do people still make websites with this SO obvious problem?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Soundcloud, catch 22

Postby desmond » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 am

In the age of necessary security and password managers, why do people forget passwords? :headbang:

Is the email actually empty? Try viewing the raw source..?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:16 am

desmond wrote:In the age of necessary security and password managers, why do people forget passwords? :headbang:

Is the email actually empty? Try viewing the raw source..?

How do I view the raw source please?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:25 am

ef37a wrote:How do I view the raw source please?

Given I have no idea of what mail client you are using on which platform, I can't really tell you... :headbang:

I'm sure if you hunt around various "view" type menus on your system you'll find whatever the option is called. All email clients should have a way of viewing the raw mail data, away from the html view...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 am

Have you tried highlighting the blank page area to see if there are any hidden words? I've had the problem before whereby the text was turned white (for some obscure reason) by the senders automatic response system.

If it looks like anything there, then copy and paste it into Word or a text editor.

Otherwise your email viewer should offer an option to view the message source, which shows all the metadata and formatting info you can't normally see, plus also the text of the message, so you might see something more there. I use Thunderbird and in that it's Ctrl-U (on a PC).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 am

I requested a Soundcloud password reset and I got an email I could view. There's a hyperlink to a password reset page about 2" down from the top, so you could try positioning the mouse in the middle of the page and see if you get a hand icon come up. If you do, try clicking and seeing if that takes you to a web page.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:10 am

Wonks wrote:I requested a Soundcloud password reset and I got an email I could view. There's a hyperlink to a password reset page about 2" down from the top, so you could try positioning the mouse in the middle of the page and see if you get a hand icon come up. If you do, try clicking and seeing if that takes you to a web page.

Nothing seems to happen Wonks. Note, I get an email back from them which I CAN read with a link in blue. It is when I open that link that I get a blank page, not even the scroll arrows at the side.

I am btw, using IE11 with BT. Don't like BT, keep changing things, but simply do not have the energy to learn it all again!

I think I can cancel my subscription to soundcloud and re register? Worth a shot.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:18 am

There is an option to 'Print Target' Ha!

"Framing Forbidden

X This content cannot be displayed in a frame

------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect the security of the information you enter into this website, the publisher of this content does not allow it to be displayed in a frame."

Now, THERE's handy!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:31 am

Oh! FCS!
They have a complaints procedure form but when you have filled it all in you have to LOG IN!

Have these people NEVER made a mistake in all their lives?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Scramble » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:34 am

Dave, I'm afraid you've stumbled into a Kafka novel, and you will never get out.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:53 am

My linked page works fine in Firefox. Maybe it's something in IE11 that stops it from showing? Try a different browser?
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby forumuser939850 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:14 pm

I do occasionally try a different browser when things don't work. Sometimes that solves issues.

Just wait a few days until they fix things (although I'm not too optimistic that Soundcloud fixes things quickly these days, but likely you're not the first to run into the problem).
forumuser939850
Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 pm

forumuser939850 wrote:I do occasionally try a different browser when things don't work. Sometimes that solves issues.

Just wait a few days until they fix things (although I'm not too optimistic that Soundcloud fixes things quickly these days, but likely you're not the first to run into the problem).

No, I am certainly not the first! I think there should be a law! EVERY firm on the web should have a visible email address. Even if they only check it once a week it would be something!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:15 pm

I think that is a law actually Dave, sadly it doesn't also specify that it should be published on the homepage...
Could try talking to them on twitter: https://twitter.com/soundcloud it's generally quite a good platform for sorting customer service issues.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:36 pm

So now you got me signed up to Twitter Drew!

Did not want to do that, have managed to keep off Faceblugh as well but if it works, sobeit.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:55 pm

But you have a FB account Dave! You just don't use it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Wonks wrote:But you have a FB account Dave! You just don't use it.

Yes! Son signed me up for that when he was home! He then sugared off to France and then told
me HE no longer uses FB!

Actually, I did try to re-activate the account a week or so ago because it seems the only way to hear Blackstar videos? Did not work but recent information about B's now make me much less interested.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 am

ef37a wrote:No, I am certainly not the first! I think there should be a law! EVERY firm on the web should have a visible email address. Even if they only check it once a week it would be something!

There is a quite old (by Internet standards) convention that you can get to the admins for a website by using the email address webmaster@madeupname.com, where madeupname.com is, of course, the domain name. It is only a convention so it may not work but I've used it a few times over the years.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:40 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:
ef37a wrote:No, I am certainly not the first! I think there should be a law! EVERY firm on the web should have a visible email address. Even if they only check it once a week it would be something!

There is a quite old (by Internet standards) convention that you can get to the admins for a website by using the email address webmaster@madeupname.com, where madeupname.com is, of course, the domain name. It is only a convention so it may not work but I've used it a few times over the years.

CC
I shall give that a do C.C. I have also found that with a lot of (big,posh snotty) companies they have a 'press office' and that has a visible email addy. The staff at such offices are usually pretty good at passing on requests. Another 'in' is often recruitment.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:06 pm

Dave, don't get confused by UK (and currently EU) law for UK companies with web sites and web sites based elsewhere that are generally only subject to their own nation's laws.

http://www.ukwda.org/blog/is-your-website-legal
Wonks
Jedi Poster