You are here

Ignore options

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Ignore options

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:56 am

Apologies if this has been answered before, but the search didn't bring anything up. Is it possible set up options to ignore a thread? I'm thinking specifically of things like the word association thread/mornington crescent etc. which attract a lot of posts, but are really of no interest to anyone who doesn't post in them.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
#indyref/bestof3

Re: Ignore options

Postby resistorman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:12 am

You got yer friends and you got yer enemies, what more could you possibly want?! Yeah, this is a very ancient structure, and the age is showing.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby CS70 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:56 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:Apologies if this has been answered before, but the search didn't bring anything up. Is it possible set up options to ignore a thread? I'm thinking specifically of things like the word association thread/mornington crescent etc. which attract a lot of posts, but are really of no interest to anyone who doesn't post in them.

Was thinking exactly the same. Certain of the perennial threads are certainly humorous for the participants but just noise for the rest.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Folderol » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:03 am

I don't understand this. If you're not interested, just don't click on them, or if you really can't stand the sight of their red buttons, mark the entire sub-forum read when you've looked at what you're interested in.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Folderol wrote:I don't understand this. If you're not interested, just don't click on them, or if you really can't stand the sight of their red buttons, mark the entire sub-forum read when you've looked at what you're interested in.

It's not the threads themselves that are annoying, it's the alerts on the main forum page that a thread in the sub-forum has been updated. Maybe they could be put in another sub-forum (Playground?). It's more of an issue when you're logged in on a mobile device, especially for people who have data limits.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
#indyref/bestof3

Postby CS70 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Folderol wrote:I don't understand this.

Probably because you use the forum differently. I never go into individual forum but always use "view unread posts" (it's what I have bookmarked, so I never see the main page with the subforums index), and these threads clutter the list.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Only just seen this...

I can't find any functionality in the forum back office which permits this, and a drag through phpBB's own site revealed a few customised attempts years ago -- but when users installed the extension it broke existing functionality. The extension developer has long since abandoned the project.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:16 am

Thanks for looking. It's not really a huge problem when I'm at home, but I spend a lot of time in County Antrim where just getting a phone signal is a fleeting phenomenon. It's just a bit disappointing when you've stood on a fence for ten minutes waving your phone in the air to find someone has posted 'Pinner'. :)
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
#indyref/bestof3